Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
JC :mad:
of course he will come back to the Top, he's working now with a psycologist to try to be positive!
vamos JC!

Reactions: Francine

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Juanqui Lover said:
i think he'll make it back to the top 10!!!
I think whats missing from him to get back to the top 10 is that he should get back to his dominant ways on clay, or near dominance on clay and that will turn around his game and confidence. He certainly has all the tools to be a top 10 player, both his backhand and forehand are top 10 caliber, his passing shots are lethal and a threat to anyone, his serve is perhaps his weak link. I think the fact that Nadal took away his throne as the king of clay and for that matter from any pretenders, could be affecting his confidence, plus he's just regrouping from an injury plagued '04. Now his return of serve could certainly be improved, so all of these tools certainly qualify him as a top 10 player, they just need to be harnessed and put back into place.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
At the beginning of summer, I thought to give him time and he may make it back to Top 10, admittedly, I'm not sure anymore. But he should be able to get back to Top 20 with those baby steps. I still think he is a Top 10 caliber, he has the arsenals in his game to be on the top of the group. What's still lacking is the confident and belief. His serve is not back to where it was. Granted, it was never a big serve, but he didn't get broken then as often as he is now. If he can get over his own mental block and play consistent good tennis as he used to, he is good enough to be in the top 10, but of course, top 5 will be another story. But Top 10 is within reach, I believe. The big question is, how is he going to get the belief back. It's been a year now since he has that bout of injuries and illness. He's fitness is back to normal now, his head isn't. I don't know what it will take for him to get around the block. I'm not sure a new coach is the solution because his problem is not so much as technical than mental, a shrink is probably a better bet.

I'm as frustrated just watching him losing all those matches that he should be able to win. I suppose he is as frustrated if not 100 times more since he is the one who have those losses. At the moment, it is not looking good to get the belief back. :sad:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
BTW, meant to say, he is not the new Guga. Guga's problem is physical, he has 2 major hips surgeries so he really is literally not the same. For Ferrero, it's all mental.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
The game has moved on from when Ferrero was right at the top, he hasn't evolved with it.
Exactly. The ATP Tour is a cruel and heartless mistress. Once yo slip because of injury or just poor play, it is nearly impossible to get back to the top. Take a look throughout history to see how many players have come back from a dive in the rankings to make their way back. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen, people like Agassi being the exception. The game moves on and you are left behind.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I'd prefer him to play like 2001 or 2002 again. At least he was consistent back then and good on clay.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
lalaland said:
BTW, meant to say, he is not the new Guga. Guga's problem is physical, he has 2 major hips surgeries so he really is literally not the same. For Ferrero, it's all mental.

Don't talk rubbish, it's not all physical how is that possible, my whole point is he can turn up monday play like his old selve and not turn up Tuesday, when he is almost at top physical condidtion, do you not think it is equally hard to come back mentally aswell as physical, my similarites are that they both still produce some brilliant moments, but both play some awful matches aswell even when they are at physical fitness, like i said originally Guga now looks lik he is not 100% fit but when he originally came back, look at RG last year against Federer?? what happened after that, similar to Ferrero played awesome against Roddick last week in Cinncy, played awful against Clement yother day.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
NYCtennisfan said:
Exactly. The ATP Tour is a cruel and heartless mistress. Once yo slip because of injury or just poor play, it is nearly impossible to get back to the top. Take a look throughout history to see how many players have come back from a dive in the rankings to make their way back. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen, people like Agassi being the exception. The game moves on and you are left behind.
It's easy to miss the obvious and the ones who don't adapt to the environment are going to find it harder, it's only logical and it's not only Agassi that has done it, it's just his level was just higher.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
skel1983 said:
Don't talk rubbish, it's not all physical how is that possible, my whole point is he can turn up monday play like his old selve and not turn up Tuesday, when he is almost at top physical condidtion, do you not think it is equally hard to come back mentally aswell as physical, my similarites are that they both still produce some brilliant moments, but both play some awful matches aswell even when they are at physical fitness, like i said originally Guga now looks lik he is not 100% fit but when he originally came back, look at RG last year against Federer?? what happened after that, similar to Ferrero played awesome against Roddick last week in Cinncy, played awful against Clement yother day.

Well, thanks for pointing out that my opinion is rubbish and yours gold. I'm sure you're right.

My observation is that Guga's patchy performance is because there's days that he feels fine physically and then there's other days that his hip problem flares up. It's major injury that he had and it is hard for the body to maintain the high level during a tough 2 wks of GS competition. I would think it's very hard to play like normal all the time too when you are constantly aware or worry that some bodypart may go wrong any time. Besides, after the surgery, his movement is not the same. It's just take more effort for him to produce brilliance tennis in a consistent basis. So his dismal record after the injury is a lot more understandable, if not less disturbing.

For Ferrero, there's nothing wrong with his body, it's not on his mind that any body part is bothering him when he plays tentatively or flat, that's not a physical reason for his inconsistence is all I'm saying.

If you insist, then yes, they both slump big time after injuries (but who doesn't), that's as far as the similarity goes. The performance patterns perhaps look similarly patchy, but for completely different reasons is what I see. For Guga, I must say, sadly, I don't see that he can be back to his top again eventhough I would love to see that. For Ferrero, there is a chance because he can catch up with the group, if his mind and heart are at the right direction, which I'm still holding hope for.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Puschkin said:
:topic: I am beyond this already ;) And there was no need for sun cream in Galicia/Asturias this year ;) And Spanish food is much more and better than the three things you mentioned.
I may not know very much about spanish gastronomy, but one thing is for sure, I love paella and trust me its the next best thing, in fact its just a delectable palate of seafood and rice mix thats unbeatable and uncomparable. Trust me paella is one of spanish cuisine finest dishes. Nonetheless, I am sure spanish cuisine is beyond just these few dishes being mentioned.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
i believe Ferrero can get back to his best and possibly win another major.
i think he has the game to do so, hope this happen sooner than later!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts