Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, Fed at times plays attacking tennis. But at some other times, he slicebots and waits his opponents to f*ck up. Is this "tactics" actually pushing? Would that mean that Federer is actually a servebot-pusher at times? And what would originating servebot-pushing style mean to his legacy?

Discuss.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
He has one of the best slice backhands ever, so it would be senseless not to use it.

If you go out on a court and try this tomorrow:

You'll find that it's not that easy to do.
Nice video (nice perspective, the one right from behind). Need to practice my slice a lot.

Some tutorials on YT are ridiculous. Coach telling/doing one thing without a ball, and then when in slomo you watch them strike a ball naturally, the whole sequence is really something different.

·
9,662 Posts
I dont believe he ever pushes in fairness

Reactions: Servebots=GOAT

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Watch this video
Should D. Evans be here (in top 3 slices)...? Annacone had Dimitrov up there... Do I recall incorrectly, thinking even his slice wasn't top drawer... (top spin BH certainly not)... I recall Dimi's slice lacked bite/penetration...

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
At the AO, he was pushing and waiting for Sandgren to self destruct in the end. This was very obvious and he has been doing this for the last few years.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Federer don’t push lol. He uses the slice to mix things up and change the pace of the rally to allow him to take control and set the rest of the point up how he wants. I’m sure Federer is guilty of being conservative with it sometimes but still a far more attacking player than moonballer and wallovic.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Sure, Fed at times plays attacking tennis. But at some other times, he slicebots and waits his opponents to f*ck up. Is this "tactics" actually pushing? Would that mean that Federer is actually a servebot-pusher at times? And what would originating servebot-pushing style mean to his legacy?

Discuss.
You do realise that the concept of topspin was developed and applied as a means to safety, first and foremost...

·
9,662 Posts
You do realise that the concept of topspin was developed and applied as a means to safety, first and foremost...
Correct. Topspin slows the ball down, allowing for more consistency. In saying that, it use is to allow players to hit the ball harder without worrying about it going out due to spin, so as you rightly say, first and foremost but not only

·
9,662 Posts
Should D. Evans be here (in top 3 slices)...? Annacone had Dimitrov up there... Do I recall incorrectly, thinking even his slice wasn't top drawer... (top spin BH certainly not)... I recall Dimi's slice lacked bite/penetration...
Evans is 2. Right behind fed for sure.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Federer don’t push lol. He uses the slice to mix things up and change the pace of the rally to allow him to take control and set the rest of the point up how he wants. I’m sure Federer is guilty of being conservative with it sometimes but still a far more attacking player than moonballer and wallovic.
Don't know about that, but, for sure, a far more choking player, that Chokerer.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
He became more of a pusher the older he got as his ground game devolved into an error fest more often. People equated him for years with aggression because of the SABR and his net rushing, but he pushed frequently from the back of the court these days

1 - 20 of 22 Posts