Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good comparison, but I think Fed will hang it up once he stops playing top-10 tennis, record or not. If his level does drop off soon, I don't think he will resort to playing 250's just to get the record.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
In the last three seasons Federer has averaged 1 slam + 1 masters + 3 more titles, something 33-35 or 36-38 y.o. Connors could only have dreamed of, as well as 99,9 % of the current tour regardless of age, I mean amassing 1 slam + 1 masters + 3 titles for just one season, not for three consecutive.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In 2019 he won 1 atp1000 and 3 atp500, it was not a disaster but neither a memorable season.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
In 2019 he won 1 atp1000 and 3 atp500, it was not a disaster but neither a memorable season.
Every tennis fan shall remember Wimb.'19 F for the rest of their life, much more than Connors' great USO'91 SF.

In his last eight seasons Connors has won 4 titles, 0,0,0,2,2,0,0,0 respectively, finishing as no. 49 and 84 in the last two (1991 & '92) after skipped 1990.

75 % fit 39/40 y.o. Federer would still win at least couple of 250/500 tournaments and probably called it a career if he were out of top-10 for two consecutive seasons without slam SF and masters title, and also probably rejecting a lot of money from sponsors and tournaments for appearance therein.

He could probably get a WC for almost every slam and masters (if he were out of top 100 after an injury, without protected rankings) + 5-10 million bucks (endorsement + sponsors) for just a few rounds passed therein, at quite a few of them.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
no I dont see Roger playing just to try and get to 110. Plus Roger's overall career stats are definitely stronger than Connors'.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no I dont see Roger playing just to try and get to 110. Plus Roger's overall career stats are definitely stronger than Connors'.
Of course it's a far better career, but the question is: should he win 3 or 4 tournaments this year raching #106 or #107 (very unlikely though), why shouldn't he try to go on till #110?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Federer isn’t that obsessed with that record or anything. I’m sure he wants it but he’s not gonna pull desperation acts to get it.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
Connors drag his career very long despite being a blatant walk on part far behind Borg and McEnroe, so we can say Federer is turning into a new Connors indeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts