Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federer is arguably the most talented player to ever grace a tennis court, but i guess he's a little bit overrated. As a matter of fact, he could (should!) have won many more tournaments (Slam finals in particular), but he has had a tendency to choke under pressure. Even if i am a Roger fan, after W19 i couldn't help calling him Chokerer.
Here's the question: he chokes cuz he is mentally weak, he's not phisically as strong as his main opponents, he's unlucky or what else?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Federer is arguably the most talented player to ever grace a tennis court, but i guess he's a little bit overrated. As a matter of fact, he could (should!) have won many more tournaments (Slam finals in particular), but he has had a tendency to choke under pressure. Even if i am a Roger fan, after W19 i couldn't help calling him Chokerer.
Here's the question: he chokes cuz he is mentally weak, he's not phisically as strong as his main opponents, he's unlucky or what else?
You're not a real fan.

Federer won his first 7 slam finals. He won 10 out of his first 11 slam finals. He won 12 out of his first 14 slam finals. What do you want?

He got older and began to lose more, but his slam final winning percentage is still very similar to Novak's and Rafa's.

There's no conundrum here.

You're just a fake fan with a short memory. When your hero ages and falters, you mock him for his frailties.

No amount of glorious victories will ever satisfy a fickle phoney.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're not a real fan.

Federer won his first 7 slam finals. He won 10 out of his first 11 slam finals. He won 12 out of his first 14 slam finals. What do you want?

He got older and began to lose more, but his slam final winning percentage is still very similar to Novak's and Rafa's.

There's no conundrum here.

You're just a fake fan with a short memory. When your hero ages and falters, you mock him for his frailties.

No amount of glorious victories will ever satisfy a fickle phoney.
Jesus Christ what's your problem? It seems like you have an anger management issue. He won 12 out of first 14 finals, so what? How does that answer my question?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fed objectively just isn't as good as the 2 best players ever. And he actually isn't that talented either, he is just a disciplined hard worker.
I strongly disagree. To me he is by far the most talented, that's why i find It inconceivable that his records will be shattered by Djokovic and Nadal.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Jesus Christ what's your problem? It seems like you have an anger management issue. He won 12 out of first 14 finals, so what? How does that answer my question?
You: "As a matter of fact, he could (should!) have won many more tournaments (Slam finals in particular)"

Me: "Federer won his first 7 slam finals. He won 10 out of his first 11 slam finals. He won 12 out of his first 14 slam finals."

You: "How does that answer my question?"

Me: "Do you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY not see the connection?"

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I strongly disagree. To me he is by far the most talented, that's why i find It inconceivable that his records will be shattered by Djokovic and Nadal.
Is backhand error-botting for more than a decade characteristics of "the most talented player by far"? He barely had that bh fixed in 2017.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
There is choking and getting outplayed.

He hasn't actually choked too many finals in comparison to ones lost.

Wimbledon 2019 was a mix of choking and clutch Djokovic. If anyone else was standing on the other side of the net that day he probably would be sitting at 21 , but Djokovic always dials in at the key moment and doesn't miss that passing shot.

Wimbledon 2015 , he got out played. US Open 15 , was rough , yes he had like 20 break points, but once again Djokovic was just too good that day. He didn't miss.

Wimbledon 2014 - Yeah this was a little bit chokey, but once again Djokovic was pretty impeccable.

Also at the same time Federer has clutched out quite a few wins. Wimbledon 2009 and Australian Open 2017 are decent examples.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also at the same time Federer has clutched out quite a few wins. Wimbledon 2009 and Australian Open 2017 are decent examples.
AO 2017 was probably his finest (and unexpected) win. As for W09 i don't think that winning 16-14 5th set against Roddick is a great achievement.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
He's weak mentally but that doesn't make him overrated. In fact, it's a testament to his ability that he has more slams and titles than Rafole being weaker mentally.

There's no such thing as "overrated" in individual sports when you can simply look at a player's achievements to measure greatness. In team sports, it's a different story because you can't judge by trophies and the impact of a player on his side can be overrated or underrated.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,738 Posts
Imagine having 20 Slams, having the most Slams of all time and some people yet have the nerve to call him ‘overrated’. One thing is not calling him GOAT, which is understandable by certain perspectives, another overrated.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If you're labeling him as some hands down GOAT the yea he's mega-overrated . Most likely he ends up 3rd greatest of his own era.

All this considered, Fed s more a top 6-7 player all time. Never GOAT. Hes been getting brutalized by his main rivals between Nadal/Nole from 2004-on pretty much overall. GOATS just DO NOT receive a lifetime of abuse by their main rivals which Fed has endured

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Well, he chokes extraordinarily and still has won so much. Now imagine if Fred had more of mugpras in him and didn't choke, his totals would've been crazy unbeatable by now, thus aptly demonstrating that fedr talent goat.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
If you're labeling him as some hands down GOAT the yea he's mega-overrated . Most likely he ends up 3rd greatest of his own era.

All this considered, Fed s more a top 6-7 player all time. Never GOAT. Hes been getting brutalized by his main rivals between Nadal/Nole from 2004-on pretty much overall. GOATS just DO NOT receive a lifetime of abuse by their main rivals which Fed has endured
You’re a fuckin idiot. Federer dominated Djokovic until Federer went past his prime and Djokovic entered his and even still, the h2h is still close. Dull I’ll admit had Federer’s number but Federer’s fixed that and won 6 out of their last 7 matches and hasn’t lost to him off clay since 2014.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts