Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Fraud

Votes: 28 25.0%
21 - 40 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They're laughing because they didn't expect such an honest answer, they all (or most) agree but just didn't expect it, and as Secondeuce says he tops it off with being quite sheepish saying it.

EDIT: to add: They like him because of this answer, and are laughing with him, not at him.

What? Look at the video again put mouse over 17secs to 19, there is exactly 2 secs of silence from everyone..
federer laughs at his arrogant statement for about 1.2secs..and then all reporters join in.. very, very awkward indeed.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
sadly the answer may be MugEnroe

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
He has a smooth hand movements when hits the ball, but it is absurd to call "the most talented" player who could do nothing with routine Nadal top spin during his career. :wavey: One of - ok, the most - only for unreasonable Fedtards :wavey:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
As a shot maker YES As a talent for figuring out other players and beating them NO.

I think if you combine the complete package of skill as a player. And ability to decode your opponents. Djokovic is the best we've seen so far.

If you are talking raw talent energy and will to win. Then it's Rafa. Nobody told Rafa he wasn't supposed to beat Fed on his best surface at his peak. But he did it.
And before those 3, tennis wasn't played at all...

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
The likes of Wilander, Mcenroe, Borg, Connors, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic, Becker etc. all won their first slams younger than Fraud. Of course he isn't close to the most talented player
Chang won his first slam at what? 17? Guess by your logic that makes Chang more talented than Federer

·
Premium Member
29,568 Posts
OP is a ridiculous gloryhunter and a hater, but if he wants a serious answer I will give it.

Federer has said in several interviews that the only real regret he has concerning his career is that he did not start working really hard to try and become the best 2-3 years earlier. It was when his old coach died in a car accident in south africa that he decided to work his hardest and aim for the top.
And then... his rise to the top was meteoric. Just look at his level of tennis in the 2003 year end championship. The guy was a monster.

And yes, he probably is the most overall talented tennis player ever. Granted, I never saw Laver play live.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
What? Look at the video again put mouse over 17secs to 19, there is exactly 2 secs of silence from everyone..
federer laughs at his arrogant statement for about 1.2secs..and then all reporters join in.. very, very awkward indeed.
Wow, actually surprised somebody joined in about this as well. I guess you guys see what you wanna see, and maybe I do too, but I severely doubt anyone in that room looked at him then with any bad feelings. I really don't think anyone was thinking: Haha, what an arrogant tard, or what a ridiculously laughable statement by Fed. That's just not how most people feel when he says these kind of things.

The silence is probably just because people can't believe he actually said it and were still processing it.

I agree that Fed was only half 'joking' here (though he topped it off nicely by saying extremely).

But whatever, guess we won't agree on this one, probably, and we can only guesstimate from the video what everyone was thinking.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Michael Chang was the youngest major winner of all time. Is he more talented than the guys you listed? :rolleyes: Lleyton Hewitt won his first major younger than Djokovic, I guess he is more talented too going by your logic. :wavey:
Chang more talented than Nadal and Djokovic. Come off the dope. Jesus. Federer you can make an argument for. AGE MEANS nothing. Different players mature at different ages. And the early ones burn out faster.

BORG
BECKER
CHANG
NADAL THE GREATEST EVER

All done before 30.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
You probably think they're laughing at him because of 'his arrogance', which is not the case.

Talent is very hard to define properly imo. I would say the most talented is someone who has perfect tennis, but not necessarily with a text-book style. That's why I would say Federer is more talented than Djokovic for instance, overall their game might be just as perfect, but Djokovic's seems a bit more 'teachable' rather than based on talent. And in that way Federer is one of the top guys of all time, hard to make a final choice on that (and tbh any 5+ slam winner is bound to be insanely talented to start with).

I'm not sure if age at which stuff is won should factor into it, some people just physically mature faster or are not mentally ready yet at a young age. But I guess you can think: less time to develop and still getting great results = must be talented.

Have you seen the reaction of John Mc Enroe during the SF match b/w Murray and Federer? Yes John McEnroe can be a bad a$$ but he understands tennis very very well like no one else here. He knows Federer is a perfect tennis player .
We are talking about tennis skills not about winning or losing. Winning does not make you very talented. Fed has made some shots that made Mc Enroe to say that he has never seen someone else to make it. He and every former player knows what and how Federer plays tennis.Why do you think all at once some former great players came back in the game as BBecker,Edberg ,Ivanisevic ?! Just because tennis became very boring , Almost all players plays the same style. That is not going to happen all at once and it will take time . Maybe two or three years.

·
Premium Member
24,165 Posts
NADAL THE GREATEST EVER
In what kind of fantasy land is Nadal the greatest ever?
I know he is the clay GOAT (9 RG, 19 clay Masters) and has currently the most Masters titles, won slams consecutively for 10 years.
Those are the unique stats which only he has. In the most important stats: slam count, YEC/WTF count, weeks at #1, YE #1 he is much behind of Federer, and particularly Sampras or even Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Have you seen the reaction of John Mc Enroe during the SF match b/w Murray and Federer? Yes John McEnroe can be a bad a$$ but he understands tennis very very well like no one else here. He knows Federer is a perfect tennis player .
We are talking about tennis skills not about winning or losing. Winning does not make you very talented. Fed has made some shots that made Mc Enroe to say that he has never seen someone else to make it. He and every former player knows what and how Federer plays tennis.Why do you think all at once some former great players came back in the game as BBecker,Edberg ,Ivanisevic ?! Just because tennis became very boring , Almost all players plays the same style. That is not going to happen all at once and it will take time . Maybe two or three years.
Why are you quoting me here?

Because of my statement that 5+ slam winners are bound to be extremely talented? I didn't mean to say that anyone with less than that can't be talented. Winning doesn't equal talent, but if you win a lot you pretty much have to have some kind of talent.

Other than that I agree with you I think though I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Federer is comparable in talent to Dimitrov and Gasquet. He is just not entirely brainless.

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
Bait thread.

Try harder next time.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
4,041 Posts

No. But certainly the most humble one.

"Now the question is: Am I the greatest of all time?"
Frauder Frauderer
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french09/news/story?id=4238813

:spit:

About Nadal, following his French Open loss:

"It's always me who's going to dictate play and decide how the outcome is going to be," Federer said. "If I play well, I will most likely win; if I'm not playing so well, that's when he wins."

http://en.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/94966.html

Very humble this Federer :worship:

·
Premium Member
24,165 Posts
He is right. All matches on his raquet. It's impossible to outplay Roger - only outgrind and outlast
The tardism is strong in this one.

21 - 40 of 253 Posts