Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the whole Wimbledon I thought he was holding back cause it looked like he was hitting his groundstrokes a little softer (idk about the serve). I don't think it's very noticeable seeing how nobody mentioned it, but here's a point from the Simon match where it's more noticeable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqGdplKXYa4

Check out the two consecutive FHs he hit during a rally at 5:54, he hits them so soft for no reason, doesn't it remind you of the way he was hitting at Wimby 2012 against Malisse where he was playing with a bad back ? There was also another thread 2-3 weeks ago where it was mentioned how he was unusually bending his knee slightly during his service action because of possible back injury. I hope I'm wrong :unsure:

Discuss.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Oh come on, injury spotting over TV based on 2 hits? :facepalm:

That first one he just decided a bit late what to do with it, and the second just got a bit more depth than he expected, so he had to adjust his positioning and hence couldn't do anything with it but send it back.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That first one he just decided a bit late what to do with it, and the second just got a bit more depth than he expected, so he had to adjust his positioning and hence couldn't do anything with it but send it back.
I said in the OP I've been noticing it the whole tournament. At first I thought he was holding back in the early rounds to surprise the final opponents, but I guess no top pro athlete actually performs such an idiot move.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
He was playing Pushmon, hitting as hard as possible isn't really the best option. It was also a little bit slippery, difficult to set up properly whith each ball.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
He lost his old power on that forehand... that's due to age / new racquet.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

His FH lacked power the whole match (was constantly overpowered by Simon's FH in rallies), but then again the whole tournament and the whole year it has been lacking power. Its worse than injury, its old age.

RIP Fed FH.

He needs to slice and dice opponents now, his BH is his weapon in rallies to approach the net. He will need to play unbelievable at the net to win against Murray+Djokovic. I remember 2012 being very good, but he needs to be better than that this year.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
He was playing Pushmon, hitting as hard as possible isn't really the best option. It was also a little bit slippery, difficult to set up properly whith each ball.
This. Vs. Simon it's likely a tactical choice. You hit full power shots at Simon at your own risk, he is probably the best counter-puncher in the game at the moment. The fast balls will come back even faster. Berdych will tell you exactly what that feels like. :D

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Well the man is 34, what do you expect? But it's not an injury. Unless you call old age a disease. :superlol:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For the whole Wimbledon I thought he was holding back cause it looked like he was hitting his groundstrokes a little softer (idk about the serve). I don't think it's very noticeable seeing how nobody mentioned it, but here's a point from the Simon match where it's more noticeable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqGdplKXYa4

Check out the two consecutive FHs he hit during a rally at 5:54, he hits them so soft for no reason, doesn't it remind you of the way he was hitting at Wimby 2012 against Malisse where he was playing with a bad back ? There was also another thread 2-3 weeks ago where it was mentioned how he was unusually bending his knee slightly during his service action because of possible back injury. I hope I'm wrong :unsure:

Discuss.
On the whole, Fed's FH isn't nearly as good as it used to be obviously but those two soft FHs were tactical, Simon absolutely loves to feed off pace and Fed didn't give him any to work with during a neutral rally. Fed only accelerated when he already had Simon out of position or thought he could get him out of one with a single shot.

You don't ball bash with Simon from the baseline, he'll use your pace and send you the ball back just as fast, you pick your moments when to attack.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Federer is known for ballbashing every FH so it must be an injury :lol:

Get real.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
old man is fantastic atm, running like a 30yo, looks perfectly sharp

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
This. Vs. Simon it's likely a tactical choice. You hit full power shots at Simon at your own risk, he is probably the best counter-puncher in the game at the moment. The fast balls will come back even faster. Berdych will tell you exactly what that feels like. :D

This. But the same happened to Kevin Anderson against Murray in F of Queens. Anderson has better FH than Murray but ball was coming back again and again till Anderson made a mistake.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts