Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No. It won't happen again.

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occured to me that Federer nearly lost from 2 sets to love up in all four of the slams this year.

Australia: Simon clawed back from 2 sets down to take it to a decider. Federer could have very easily lost the 5th.

French: Djokovic served for the fourth set and if he'd closed it out most would have favoured him to win the 5th set the next day.

Wimbledon: Lost to Tsonga from 2 sets up

US Open: Lost to Djokovic from 2 sets up

It nearly happened in all four slams! Is this a coincidence or will it be a recurring problem for Federer in future slams? In the past two sets up meant the match was a done deal. This year 3/4 opponents have come back to take it to a 5th and the fourth guy nearly did as well.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Yeah, for all his "effortless style" talk, he still runs out of energy and can't sustain his level in best of 5 matches. Anyone who can hang around and wait for his opportunities will beat him. Of course this is easier said than done, considering he still has that ridiculous serve.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I didn't pay attention too much to that deadly Simon match, but in regards to Tsonga, he wasn't tired that day. Tsonga was just in the zone. He was unplayable and his serves eventually became unreturnable. As for the Djokovic matches, he was very tired and exhausted. He had to tank both sets intentionally at the U.S. Open to be able to store up any remaining energy or breath to give it all he can possibly give in the final fifth. I hope from now on he'll learn not to do that again. Wasn't smart. Instead, he's going to work on cutting the rallies down to 8-10 shots, because those 20 shot rallies are wearing out his arms and his entire body, hence why he gassed out in sets 3 and 4.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
I didn't pay attention too much to that deadly Simon match, but in regards to Tsonga, he wasn't tired that day. Tsonga was just in the zone. He was unplayable and his serves eventually became unreturnable. As for the Djokovic matches, he was very tired and exhausted. He had to tank both sets intentionally at the U.S. Open to be able to store up any remaining energy or breath to give it all he can possibly give in the final fifth. I hope from now on he'll learn not to do that again. Wasn't smart. Instead, he's going to work on cutting the rallies down to 8-10 shots, because those 20 shot rallies are wearing out his arms and his entire body, hence why he gassed out in sets 3 and 4.
:stupid:

·
Registered
696 Posts
he wont let it happened again.. he's now smarter than before two years (after 4 match points against djokovic in 2 years uso semi)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
He just has to avoid constant 20 shot rallies and never ending deuce points that trap players for 10 or so minutes of their time. As long as he avoids grinding it out, he can be fit enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Yeah, for all his "effortless style" talk, he still runs out of energy and can't sustain his level in best of 5 matches. Anyone who can hang around and wait for his opportunities will beat him. Of course this is easier said than done, considering he still has that ridiculous serve.
It´s not a question of energy, it´s more of a mental issue, he lacks the confidence he once had, and in tight matches he´s getting punished for it. Tsonga just outplayed him, though, it happens.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Yes, probably this will become his new routine, because doing something two times in 15 years is a habit.
Two Setsuperer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts