Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Federer lose #1 in 2008

• Yes, he will lose it to Rafa in the Australian Open

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • Yes, he will lose it but not to Nadal

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • No, he will still be at the top, having a year similar to 2007

Votes: 63 52.5%
  • No way! he will improve his numbers from 2007, and maybe even win RG too!

Votes: 33 27.5%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After four years of completely unprecedented domination of the Tour, there are signs of Roger becoming more vulnerable than ever. In 2005 and 2006, only Nadal was a threat to him, and he was the only possible favourite in every fast court slam because of that. Now, we have players like Nalbaldian, Djokovic with a decent chance of defeating him, not to mention his punctual problems with players like Cañas.

He will end the year with an advantage of 505 to 855 points over Nadal, and will have to defend 1.300 points in AO and Dubai, while Rafa just needs to defend 400 points.

Question is... will he lose #1 in 2008?

·
Your visions will happen
49,317 Posts
Nadal will need to do it before IW next year. If not, he has to defend all clay and Wimbledon and wont get another shot until post Wimbledon

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
there are many other rivals for Federer now but these are also rivals to Nadal and to each-other

Federer will not win as much as he's been winning these 4 years but will still retain the no.1 spot but with smaller gaps in the ranking

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
I think he'll end 2008 ranked #1.

I'm on the fence about whether he'll lose the ranking at some point during the year.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
I am pretty excited that hegemony has made it into a thread title. :lol:

I find it hard to guess whether Federer will lose No. 1 next year. The result of this Masters Cup could actually be critical to this outcome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I love how every year people talk about Rafa getting number by winning the aussie open, and every year the kid goes out by the round of 16. lol. Those knees of his are going to buckle over sometime, and my money's on it happening before the end of Federer's reign.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
I think there is a very good chance that he will lose #1 next year. However, it is too early to predict whether he will be year end #1.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Unless Nadal learns the tricks of hard floors soon, I don´t see federer losing his #1 position soon or in 2008. He could get injured... who knows, but if he is ok he´ll survive 2008.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Unless Nadal learns the tricks of hard floors soon, I don´t see federer losing his #1 position soon or in 2008. He could get injured... who knows, but if he is ok he´ll survive 2008.
He doesn't need to if Fed starts losing earlier in HC tournaments.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
It would be good to see somebody besides Roger #1, but considering Nadal has never got past the QF of any HC slam, I don't see it happening for a while.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
The same people that are threatening Federer will be threat for Nadal too. I dont think that either of them might lose their current ranking but they will loose a quite ranking points comparing to this year. And there might be some changes in 2008 Race standings.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Might wel happen, but I'm sure Rogi will manage to get that #1 position back ASAP.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
I think it's up to Roger. So far, I believe he's dominated without having to give his absolute best.

If he's challenged enough, the question is, would he be able to raise his game, or gut it out, when it gets down to it, to hold on?

Again, it will depend on whether he wants to hold on.
One thing I've always believed about Roger, is that he's actually got more than what we've seen of him. I think we'll truely see the best of him when he's fighting for dear life, because I think he's got what it takes (guts, will) to come out on top.

But he's never had to fight to the death so to speak (maybe because he's been too good, or maybe because others haven't been good enough, doesn't really matter). I think we will really see how great he is when he starts to decline a bit, and has to rely on guts, heart and determination, rather than genius.

I think he's got what it takes to stay on top (i.e. no 1) for as long as he wants.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think it's up to Roger. So far, I believe he's dominated without having to give his absolute best.

Now that he's challenged, the question is, would he be able to raise his game, or gut it out, when it gets down to it, to hold on?

One thing I've always believed about Roger, is that he's actually got more than what we've seen of him. I think we'll truely see the best of him when he's fighting for dear life, because I think he's got what it takes (guts, spirit) to come out on top.

But he's never had to fight to the death so to speak (maybe because he's been too good, or maybe because others haven't been good enough, doesn't really matter). I think we will really see how great he is when he starts to decline a bit, and has to rely on guts, heart and determination, rather than genius.

I think he's got what it takes to stay on top (i.e. no 1) for as long as he wants.
What you said.:)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
A lot could depend on where Nalbandian lands in the AO draw. Rafa's record against him is 1-6 2-6 4-6 0-6. If Nadal comes up against Fit Dave early on, it could be game over for him. On the other hand, Roger looks like he's going downhill fast at the moment.

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
I am pretty excited that hegemony has made it into a thread title. :lol:

I find it hard to guess whether Federer will lose No. 1 next year. The result of this Masters Cup could actually be critical to this outcome.
That was my first thought too. :worship: Don't you just love those Greek words? :lol:

I agree with you. It's hard to predict at this point. Nadal will get really close if he wins the TMC but he's got to step it up in Australia :unsure:. Actually I find it very likely that Federer will keep his ...hegemony :D for another year.

If he's challenged enough, the question is, would he be able to raise his game, or gut it out, when it gets down to it, to hold on?

One thing I've always believed about Roger, is that he's actually got more than what we've seen of him. I think we'll truely see the best of him when he's fighting for dear life, because I think he's got what it takes (guts, will) to come out on top.

Yes, it all depends on Roger's level of boredom. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts