Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an interesting statement. Yes we know that Nadal can run every ball down and has amazing stamina. A physical specimen to say the least. However, Federer never suffering from an injury up until 31 and at 33 still moving the way he moves.How he looks very skinny and weak is actually quite powerful as his groundstrokes can tell you. I think Federer's athletic ability is underrated here. The people who are his age are either out the top 50 or retired.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think the word "athlete" is a broad term.

Regardless of who you place higher, it is safe to say that they are both elites, right in the very top percentile.

What Nadal has over him in physicality, Federer has over him economy of movement, balance and technique.

The "weak" thing is something I have never really sided with....Federer is almost the perfect build for a tennis player. Incredibly strong legs, lighter frame, broad shoulders, averagely tall, great speed and reflexes. You need decent reach and good levers. All of his credentials are tailored for easy and effective work in what he does.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
They are both freaks of nature. Nadal is a fitness freak. Federer is a health freak.
you may receive an infraction for doping accusations.

Reactions: Alex999

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's an interesting statement. Yes we know that Nadal can run every ball down and has amazing stamina. A physical specimen to say the least. However, Federer never suffering from an injury up until 31 and at 33 still moving the way he moves.How he looks very skinny and weak is actually quite powerful as his groundstrokes can tell you. I think Federer's athletic ability is underrated here. The people who are his age are either out the top 50 or retired.

What do you guys think?
To be honest with you...federer is nothing but a servebot,with average forehand and weak bh plus cunning/cheating tactics on court.

You probably watched today's match vs Murray.

Murray is federer's bunny along with roddick....not surprised they both have same first name as Andy.

·
Registered
648 Posts
To be honest with you...federer is nothing but a servebot,with average forehand and weak bh plus cunning/cheating tactics on court.

You probably watched today's match vs Murray.

Murray is federer's bunny along with roddick....not surprised they both have same first name as Andy.
To be honest with you...dull is nothing but a pusher, with an average forehand and weak bh plus cunning/cheating tactics on court.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
He doesn't have better fitness but I think his build is better for tennis. His athleticism has always been underrated though.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Fed a better athlete...is this really a serious question, come now people!!?

Of course he isn't and it isn't even close. Fed is blessed with not being prone to injury and his body holds up better and thats partly due to his finesse and balance which are superior to just about any human.

But when it comes to strength, speed, and endurance they really aren't too comparable, Nadal by a country mile! The only trait that Fed compares favorable is agility. Most definitions of "athlete" include strength, speed, endurance, and agility so if one is using the term in a different context then they might have a better case for Fed, but in the more traditional way one would define the word Nadal >>>>>> Fed as an athlete.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
lol, not at all man

1 - 20 of 50 Posts