Votes: 55 35.5%
  • don't care either way

Votes: 22 14.2%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTF seems VERY divided now. What's the majority opinion. A simple "why" would be nice.

I'd add more detailed options to the poll, but the reasons why someone would feel the way they do would vary too much (ie I love Fed, it's good/bad for tennis, I feel bad for Roddick, oh no Fed should retire, etc)

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
I voted don't care, because I like both of them. I think it's great that Andy finally got to beat Roger after so many attempts. But it's sad for Roger, because this should have been an easy match for him, and I think this could be the point where it's safe to predict Federer losing his number 1 spot, especially with the clay court season coming up. It will be an interesting few months now anyway, regardless of the outcome.

Reactions: MariaV

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Good to laugh at the hysteria and overreaction by a lot of posters on this one result.

Would be a lot worse if Roddick had defeated Federer in a GS event.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Good to laugh at the hysteria and overreaction by a lot of posters on this one result.

Would be a lot worse if Roddick had defeated Federer in a GS event.
Well, it's not really ONE result is it? I mean, I'm sure the reaction would have been much different if Roger had been having one of his usual dominant seasons and just happened to finally lose to Roddick. It's tough not to see a pattern here. Four hardcourt tournaments in a row - best result: two semifinals. Not exactly the stuff that GOATS are made of.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Don't care either way.

But I'm not happy with two things:
- Nadal is now closer to No. 1
- I didn't bet on Roddick

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
I like Federer's defeats only because I don't like the domination. Moreover I've seen Federer in action so many times that it's a lot better to watch other players. Yes, losing to Roddick is a good thing. Andy has weaknesses in his game but he was No. 1 in the world and his H2H against Federer is ridiculous. Obviously Federer is more talented but I think their H2H, 11-6 or 12-5 would be more fair than 15-2.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Just like true football fans would rather watch Liechtenstein than Brazil play :yeah:
I prefer the Roddick-Berdych final than another Federer-Nadal clash :p Albeit their matches are usually interesting in contrary to Djokovic-Nadal matches which are boring to death :(

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I hate Federer's domination too much. :yawn: Even though I don't like the duck,it's a good thing for him to beat Federer. :rocker:

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Very happy for Roddick - not a great fan of his game but he brings a lot to the game in terms of personality and it's good for tennis to have an American at the top (I can overlook the occasional arse behaviour such as at the AO).

Feel bad for Fed though - his game is a shadow of what it was 18 months or so ago. I wanted a 3-way fight for the top spot this year, with them all in great form - I am a rarity; I like all 3 of them.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Oh yeah, it's wonderful. Funny to seeing all the excuses from the Fedjerks who loved to sticking it to other people in the past because they think they were a better species on MTF because they were (bandwagon??!!) fans of the dominant #1 player :lol:

Time that this Federer gets downed hard to the floor of reality.

Reactions: star

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I guess it's a good thing for tennis. Well done to Roddick, he gives it his best shot against Federer everytime, good for him to get that monkey off his back finally.

It will be great if a few more good youngsters come through and we have 7 or 8 challenging for slams, and old man Federer trying to keep up hehe.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I like Federer's defeats only because I don't like the domination. Moreover I've seen Federer in action so many times that it's a lot better to watch other players. Yes, losing to Roddick is a good thing. Andy has weaknesses in his game but he was No. 1 in the world and his H2H against Federer is ridiculous. Obviously Federer is more talented but I think their H2H, 11-6 or 12-5 would be more fair than 15-2.
I agree. Federer is an amazing talent. He plays a beautiful game and we are lucky to have witnessed his talent. But I have never liked seeing one player take all the trophies. Having Federer brought back to planet Earth has got to be a good thing for tennis. I like that right now we are returning to a period where we really don't know who will win the big titles anymore.

I do hope Federer eventually gets his 15 slams. But I want him to sweat for it. I don't want to see them handed on to his lap. If he gets the next three at the rate of one a year, maybe even with one no-slam year thrown in, it will make the achievement that much more dramatic and exciting.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts