Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is going to get wild cards for the US Open main draw. Of course Donald Young will get one. Who else? Is Young more worthy of a wild card than Isner? If so, why?

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Young has not yet reached an ATP tour final.

So, no. If it comes down to a choice, Isner would deserve it more. But I suspect they will both benefit.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Isner beat : Henman, Haas, Monfils, Becker.

Who has DY beaten?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The Don is 4 years younger and most likely won't be needing a WC when he is 22. However, as of right now, the Cannon is more deserving. The Don will get one too, though. They both deserve one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would have to say Donald Young is more deserving.

It's not who has shown the better results lately but who the USTA is cultivating to become a star.
Donald Young as far as I know has decided that he will not be going to college, a sacrifice he's making so that the USTA can focus on making him a star.
Isner decided to go to college, a great endeavor.
With it though he lost any and most attention from the USTA.

Basically it would be like giving a wild card to Lisa Raymond over Lindsay Davenport in the early 90s.
Yes Lindsay was fat at the time and Lisa was fit and just won the NCAA's but whose the player that the USTA put all their time in?

And it's no surprise which player had a better career.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think if they want to give a WC to a player who is more likely to get a win or 2, then the WC should obviously go to Isner... But like others said, if they're thinking long term building of a 'star', they'll give one to Young.

I think both will get one though...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isner, he's more likely to win than Young. If I were a tournament director, that's really all I'd care about.
I think if I were the tournament director what I would care about is who would sell more tickets. Although that is a little off the point of the thread. I wonder which of the two is more likely to sell tickets for the US Open.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
i think he is - Isner is having just one good tournament, Young is the future of American tennis (not that i like Young :eek: )
Young hasnt won an ATP match. Isner at least beat someone in the top 15.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
I would have to say Donald Young is more deserving.

It's not who has shown the better results lately but who the USTA is cultivating to become a star.
The USTA sucking up to him has nothing to do with who deserves it more. Of course Isner does. Everyone can see that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts