Votes: 12 19.4%
  • no

Votes: 50 80.6%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thiem has been woeful post USO 2020 besides a nice run at the tour finals. More so than physically, he seems completely mentally finished. Other guys are peaking on hard courts and I think maybe his only shot is clay (where in fact he hasn't even won a masters title).

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Too early to say he's done, but it would be difficult to say anyway without knowing exactly what the situation is - does anyone know? For a long time he seemed to be picking up illnesses all the time, which didn't exactly bode well. And now this wrist injury...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think so, it is going to be harder.

I am starting to think, big three have spoiled us with their miraculous comebacks. We have to see longevity of the remaining players.. if it comes back to reality. But, I think to start over and start winning.. it maybe a tall order for Thiem.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
2022 will tell us. Another year like this one and I don't really see him back at top anymore.

·
Registered
14,280 Posts
Not sure I'm following .. is his new girlfriend from Finland ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
He seems to be enjoying his Austrian celebrity life so much right now. If I go by his Insta I would say he's not even trying to make it. Haven't seen/heard anything in regards to his relationship (nor do I care to see), but as it looks he is heavily involved promoting several (local) companies (feels to me a bit like squeezing out whatever his fame may give him) and enjoying family life above all...

Hope he has a serious work plan as soon as that wrist brace comes off though.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
It’s possible, but I have faith the competitive juices will start running again. The wrist injury really came at a bad time, tho.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
i believe he's Austrian actually

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I wouldn't say he's finished, i understand the mental takes and how he lost some motivation but that alone doesn't mean that he won't be any good anymore.. he needs to get healthy first and then we'll see..

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think he will have a very difficult come back. Before he took the time off, he was being beaten on so easily. The men don't have compassion to let anyone ease in. The development of the game moves so fast. I hope that in addition to rehabbing, he is adding to his game. the game is not standing still and you can see how it has already caught up to Djokovic. The game has become about tall, strong agile YOUNG men. Were Djokovic 6'5" with his skills he would still rain, but now you look at the next generation, you're going to need that height, agility, power, shot making ability... something we hadn't seen before. Thiem is a small guy, i don't think over a 5 set match that power will hold up if he has multip 6'5"guys coming for him. But it will be interesting. I hope he finds away to rise to the top again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This Thiem situation is incredibly ridiculous. Guy finally won his ONLY grandslam and he claims he needs rest from tennis :) This really shows you why big 3 are so special...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts