Mens Tennis Forums banner

Whose sportsmanship is best in the top four players?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has amended his past ways. The player we watched on court today does not cheat, doesn't have arrogance, shows forbearance and is courteous whether he wins or loses.

Even after Nadal's cheap comments on Djokovic before the match, he did not retaliate. That endorses his class as a sportsperson. He neither shouts at the umpire like Nadal or argue endlessly like Federer or Roddick - just moves on with the next point if his point is not heard. He doesn't throw tantrums at his camp and make ugly faces like Murray. Plus he entertains everyone with his clowning.

He is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the top players in the sportsmanship department.

Attaboy Nole!

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
On court it's Federer. Off court it's Djokovic/Murray

·
Registered
757 Posts
well, he sure is head and shoulders above regarding personality... (kinda goes along with sportsmanship)

and personality goes a looooong way...

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
He improved a lot his sportsmanship, i like his smiling, applauding etc., but still Federer's one is the best.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Come now, both Nadal and Nole make a mockery of the rules regarding time between points. Federer allergic to graciousness, especially when it comes to Novak, and can never credit him for a victory.

By process of elimination, Murray is least bad of the top 4 when it comes to both graciousness and adherence to the rules. Especially now with Lendl, he no longer has outbursts at his box, but regardless, that has nothing to do with adherence to the rules or graciousness to one's opponents, which are the elements of sportsmanship.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I think Djokovic is easily the best of the top 4. I can't believe anyone has voted for Federer who has proved time and again what a bad sport he is. His criticisms of Novak because he dared to save a matchpoint against him at the US Open were beyond ridiculous. Federer is easily the worst sportsman of the 4.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come now, both Nadal and Nole make a mockery of the rules regarding time between points. Federer allergic to graciousness, especially when it comes to Novak, and can never credit him for a victory.

By process of elimination, Murray is least bad of the top 4 when it comes to both graciousness and adherence to the rules. Especially now with Lendl, he no longer has outbursts at his box, but regardless, that has nothing to do with adherence to the rules or graciousness to one's opponents, which are the elements of sportsmanship.
For obvious reasons. He has half-a-dozen of those cups Andy's playing for. :lol:

One can hardly say he's well behaved.

Secondly, nobody complains about the time Nadal and Djokovic take between points because it has gradually become an unsaid rule that top players won't lose points because of time-violation. Even umpires don't bother telling them. Even Roger has accepted it.

and I'd rather Federer took some extra time to focus between serves (but maybe his is a rhythm based game).

·
Registered
111 Posts
If bouncing the ball an extra ten billion times before serving on big points and faking injuries when losing is good sportsmanship, then yes.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
That may well be, anyway it's not Nadal (time letting his opponent wait for return and other things) and it's not Murray (dropshotting injured opponents for instance)

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Murray and Djokovic are the most gracious in defeat.

But Djokovic, in addition to the time violations, also uses a lot of Nadal's questionable tactics with regards to MTO's.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Djokovic is a very gracious loser, far better than any of the other top guys. So much so that it's actually a little unsettling at times. He almost looks happy after losing e.g. US Open 2010. Ironically, when he wins I find he looks quite sombre (other than the post-match celebrations). Especially when he beats Nadal/Federer.

You can't deny though that he hugely exaggerates his body language. Multiple times in his last three matches this week I was convinced he was physically toast only for him to be running around like a rabbit a little while later. I don't think he was faking; that's just silly. Why would you fake when you're completely in control of a match? But he definitely needs to control his body language. It's not cheating but it's bad play to behave like that. Murray is very guilty of this too. You'd think he has 10 different injuries over the course of a match sometimes.

On court it's Federer. Off court it's Djokovic/Murray
I would agree with this except I don't think you can include Murray yet. Players behave differently when they're winning and when they're losing. Everyone thought Federer was a saint '03-'06 until he started losing more matches. Then his petulant side started to show more. Equally, we can't know how Murray will behave when and if he wins grand slams and becomes top dog. Even with Djokovic we have to see how he starts behaving when he declines. Nadal for example, was Mr Humble on the way up to the #1 ranking but the way back down has shown he can bitch with the best of them.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
That may well be, anyway it's not Nadal (time letting his opponent wait for return and other things) and it's not Murray (dropshotting injured opponents for instance)
How is that bad sportsmanship? If the opponent is too injured to play, they should retire- are you saying Nole or Fed doesn't use drop shots when their opponent is injured/ has questionable movement? Did you see Nole play Mahut this tournament?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Djokovic is a very gracious loser, far better than any of the other top guys. So much so that it's actually a little unsettling at times. He almost looks happy after losing e.g. US Open 2010. Ironically, when he wins I find he looks quite sombre (other than the post-match celebrations). Especially when he beats Nadal/Federer.

You can't deny though that he hugely exaggerates his body language. Multiple times in his last three matches this week I was convinced he was physically toast only for him to be running around like a rabbit a little while later. I don't think he was faking; that's just silly. Why would you fake when you're completely in control of a match? But he definitely needs to control his body language. It's not cheating but it's bad play to behave like that. Murray is very guilty of this too. You'd think he has 10 different injuries over the course of a match sometimes.

I would agree with this except I don't think you can include Murray yet. Players behave differently when they're winning and when they're losing. Everyone thought Federer was a saint '03-'06 until he started losing more matches. Then his petulant side started to show more. Equally, we can't know how Murray will behave when and if he wins grand slams and becomes top dog. Even with Djokovic we have to see how he starts behaving when he declines. Nadal for example, was Mr Humble on the way up to the #1 ranking but the way back down has shown he can bitch with the best of them.
I agree- Fed and Nadal were gracious winners on the way up, but on the way down their true colors are showing. Nole has yet to decline, and Murray yet to really dominate.

·
Registered
34 Posts

" Federer IS allergic to graciousness." You forgot to add the word that would make this sentence a real one, dumb ass. Any more incorrect English you want to grace us with, retard?

And Novak is gracious? Yea, only through process of elimination and time. Nadal has always been the most humble and most ready to call Federer the best in the world. How was Novak acting when he was losing? Like a spoiled brat that acted like he was in pain all the time.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How is that bad sportsmanship? If the opponent is too injured to play, they should retire- are you saying Nole or Fed doesn't use drop shots when there opponent is injured/ has questionable movement? Did you see Nole play Mahut this tournament?
Ditto about Doung's sportsmanship comment on use of dropshots.

By the same account, Nadal's act of making his opponent wait for an eternity before the coin toss while he chews his bar is equally bad sportsmanship.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
" Federer IS allergic to graciousness." You forgot to add the word that would make this sentence a real one, dumb ass. Any more incorrect English you want to grace us with, retard?

And Novak is gracious? Yea, only through process of elimination and time. Nadal has always been the most humble and most ready to call Federer the best in the world. How was Novak acting when he was losing? Like a spoiled brat that acted like he was in pain all the time.
That was before. that's exactly what I'm trying to say. Today, Novak, despite of being at the very top openly regards Federer and Nadal as the best players in the world and doesn't include himself. He has a much mature judgment of himself now than he did before.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts

You poor, pathetic individual. :wavey:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts