Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the match, and witnessing the reactions of the crowd, I came away wondering. Is Djokovic the new "villain" in the sport? Ivan Lendl was NEVER the fan favorite, and, it seems that Djokovic has turned a lot of people against him (with an assist from his family). Now, Lendl was pretty much on his own, and he didn't care that the fans were against him. Djokovic looks clearly bothered. Do you all think that he and his family will change their ways? Or will he not care, and continue to circle the wagons in an us vs. them mindset? Winning...but not being loved.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No. Lendl was a WAY better player.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously, Ivan was one of the best players ever. However, I mean perception of dislike from the fans. I can almost assure that if his family were taken out of the equation, the dislike percentage would fall tremendously.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Lendl was not loved but not hated as well. Djokovic has more charisma.

Lendl had as well a solid and boring game. He won a lot. Might be the same for Djoko unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ivan was always seen as the villainous foil to McEnroe and Connors. I still remember the only time he landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated:

Is this Djokovic's fate?

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I don't think that Lendl was hated or even someone that no one cared about. He was quite a popular figure in Europe. Is it possible that you are under influence of some sort of a propaganda in US at that time ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think he is just this generation's version of Lleyton Hewitt. You either love him or you hate him.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think he will be hated. This is just a beginning of his carrier. Eventually, the passion from his box will fade as they become accustomed to Nole winning big matches, he will stop ridiculously long bouncing (he already reduced it significantly in comparison with last season) when he get a little more self-confidence and he will reduce his arrogant tone when he realizes that the players are scared of him on the court because of his play and not because of the words. Now, he is building up the pressure, fighting against the pressure and enjoys with his family when he overcomes the pressure. Simple as that.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Nadal and Federer never interact with the crowd during their matches, but novak often does. Of course, this includes both positive and negative interaction. The haters will bitch about the negative stuff, and the Djokotards will enjoy the positives, but all it amounts to is Novak bringing excitement to the game.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nadal and Federer never interact with the crowd during their matches, but novak often does. Of course, this includes both positive and negative interaction. The haters will bitch about the negative stuff, and the Djokotards will enjoy the positives, but all it amounts to is Novak bringing excitement to the game.
Truth! Finally some emotions on the court! And Tsonga follows that magnificently!

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
OH he's worse then Lendl! That mother of his is just a horrible witch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In this match Nole found himself as a favourite, which is strange if you are only 20 year old. On the other hand he played against unseeded player and normally crowd was on Tsonga side. He played increadible tennis and I could just admire it as well as crowd. Franch spectators were more than annoying, not Novaks fans. I dont think he is or will be hated. It is just your impresion guys. The passion from his box is kind of part of Serbian mentality not to hide emotions and to show it without control. It is not the reason to have player. They will learn to control it if novak continues to winn big matches. Novak himself is a real sportsmen he is often aplauding on the great shots of the oponent, always has more than nice words for the player he plays no matter if he wins or loses. In addition, he gives the warmest congrats/greetings at the net after the match dispate the result. It is also part of mentality. He maybe has to many compliments for his own game I can agree but he will learn as well.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
Lendl was set-up by the media to be the 'villain' - and Johnny Mac loved to work a US crowd nto a frenzy against the 'communist' Lendl. And yes, Lendl was a far better player than Djokovic, and was never bothered about being unpopular. He said he'd rather be the villain and win when he was the sentimental fav to win Wimbledon in 1990. He was constantly asked by Brit media why he never smiled, and wryly replied 'because I would ruin my repuation'.

One reason I liked Ivan was that he never courted the media. Who'd have thought Lendl and Rios would have something in common?:)

Reactions: Satanic Pasteur

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I don't think that Lendl was hated or even someone that no one cared about. He was quite a popular figure in Europe. Is it possible that you are under influence of some sort of a propaganda in US at that time ?

oops, missed this post - but IMO, that's exactly what happened.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember Lendl being portrayed as a villain, at least here in the US, and I think that had everything to do with him being from a communist country, while at the same time not showing any kind of emotion on court. Lendl turned out to be a pretty nice guy as it were. Djokovic and his situation remind me nothing of him, for better or for worse.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Lendl never struck me as wanting to be liked or caring about being liked.

I think Djokovic does want to be liked. And he certainly isn't ice cold on the court.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts