Mens Tennis Forums banner
141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
. I think an example combo of success + Anglicized country that didn't get their deserved hype is Barty. Like she's likable and she has a pretty unique game for the WTA. And yet she doesn't have the hype of even other Top 10 players. Hunch is she's not "feminine" enough and maybe is too "professional" in the sense she doesn't show her emotions much on-court regardless of what happens (in TF they infamously have her being the "silent flop" master).
Why would Barty deserve any hype? She’s 25 years old. In traditional tennis terms her career is already on the downhill.

Emma is 18, just won her first grand slam in only her 2nd grand slam played (fastest to win, prior fastest was 4th slam), and just won a slam from qualies which had never been done before.

If you don’t understand the hype then you clearly don’t understand how rare her achievement was

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Raducanu - Comes through qualifying to win a major and become the first player in history to accomplish it. 10 matches, 20 straight sets. Barely played a match on tour. I doubt those circumstances will ever be repeated ever again. Meddy acknowledged as much on his own social media account. Even he knows he couldn't compete with that.

Add to that she's also likeable, very good-looking, has that global citizen thing going which makes her marketable in a lot of territories, speaks well, and is quite happy to speak to the media. The fucked up thing is she isn't even media trained, she just naturally has that gift of the gab. She's a WTA PR wet-dream because she ticks all of the desirable boxes to grow their sport. She just needs some sustained success now to build on that brand, and that's where the question mark is for the time being.

OTOH, Medvedev's been on the tour a while now, made slam finals and people generally know he is now and what he brings to the sport. He's got an unorthodox game, it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, and he doesn't exude much personality on-court.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Once the big 3 recede a bit, the new guys will get more attention. Hopefully they become a bit more PR savvy. Djokovic going CYGS was sucking up all the oxygen.
If Matteo or Stefanos win a slam next year, I'm sure they will get a a lot of attention as fresh face. Med need to try to glam it up and do sexy photoshoots. He has nice abs at least.
I don't think Matteo would bring much popularity albeit his fairly good-looking. His personality is not as appealing as his looks.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Not sure if this is a hot take but... I don't care if Men's tennis is 'dead'. It means very little for my enjoyment of the game, that will still be around long after I'm actually dead. Not a shot at the OP, I understand the take but its not surprising that a cute Teen girl that just happens to play tennis (and is good at it) has more instagram followers then a guy who might have a fun personality but is only known for his tennis and always will be. As he wins, more fans will come his way but it would be very difficult for him to be as popular as the big 3 especially without a key rival.

But like if you don't follow Tennis, you wouldn't know who any of these people are, Tennis isn't mainstream like that, and that may be sad to some, but it is what it is. Nothing is likely to push Tennis to a higher spot on the food chain.. I mean yes, the Big 3 era was successful but to what scale would you measure that at? Its not bigger than Soccer, it was never bigger than any of the major sports in America....that isn't everything but still, its not going to break out of its niche when successful eras only push it so far.

I have enjoyed the game more than I have in several years and I'm cool with its place in the sports world. Why stress about the future?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wtf - I thought Osaka hates the public attention now and wants to left alone by the media? But attends the MET Gala.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
There is only one person in the history of the sport to have won a GS having made it through qualies.

It is a unique achievement.

So, yes, it would have been a big deal no matter who did it.
Yes, it would have been a big deal, but not remotely as big as in Raducanu's case. I think that's what many people are implying.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Because most Russian male tennis players suck. The Russian women certainly haven’t had a problem becoming famous across the entire world. Kournikova and Sharapova are 2 of the top 4 female endorsement earners in the history of women’s tennis.

The victim hood complex from Novak tards, Medvedev tards, and other “slighted” shithole former communist countries is a joke
No one said it better. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts
Medvedev has much more personality, charisma and intellect than Instagram Emma.

But because she comes from UK, has a pretty face and is of mixed race, British and international media will hype her to the limit.

And of course pelicans will eat happily whatever is shoved their miserable throats.
You could at least fact check before making such a silly assumption in calling her ‘Instagram’ Emma when the fact of the matter is Medvedev has like 274 more posts

Not interested in disputing the charisma stance or not but come on mate. Let’s not make that assumption.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Because most Russian male tennis players suck. The Russian women certainly haven’t had a problem becoming famous across the entire world. Kournikova and Sharapova are 2 of the top 4 female endorsement earners in the history of women’s tennis.

The victim hood complex from Novak tards, Medvedev tards, and other “slighted” shithole former communist countries is a joke
WTA is a different sport which popularity is based on looks.

I mean, Wozniacki had an extremely boring game, yet was a star.

Meanwhile, Davydenko had no sponsor despite being in the top 10 😂

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts

Maybe you lived in a parallel universe. In reality Kournikova was a mediocre player, Sharapova was great, but in last 5 years of her career she really struggled a lot, due to her own stubbornness to change her training and coaching approach, didn't even win another slam or even bigger tournament.
There were some other Russian female players who won a slam (Kuznetsova and Myskina), but they never caught any kind of fame as they were neither good-looking nor had a personality which was exciting.

It is not some kind of victim complex of the former communist countries, you are wrong here. It is more how it is still very much difficult to break through as an Eastern European in a mainstream sport like tennis.
If you have an American background like Sharapova had, then it's easier. But not all players can or could afford that. The tennis establishment is stiff as it is.

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts
Wtf - I thought Osaka hates the public attention now and wants to left alone by the media? But attends the MET Gala.

It seems her problem is not with public attention but her own relationship with tennis; whether she has the passion for the game in the first place going forward; or possibly issues stemming from perfectionism. Remains to be seen. The media thing, she addressed it a while ago saying that after reflecting on it she could've/should've handled it better.

US Open: Naomi Osaka says she got things 'wrong' at French Open (nypost.com)

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
4,579 Posts
Interesting read those 8 pages. Some posts on the other hand are strange at least.

I want to add two points:

- The history of media has changed completely. You can not compare media from 2021 with media from 1995 let alone from 2004. The internet already existed but not social media in this kind of way. Today, all medias are worse than 20 years ago. There is less money in it and although there are maybe more journalists, there is less normal sports articles. The same in other topics. So media copy from each other, sometimes it is the same writer you find the article in 5 newspapers, just with another title or image. Its more exponential, today, in terms of mathematics and less linear. So everybody focus on the same subject.

- Players can hype themselves. There are players who don't want to be all the time in the media and the don't use social media or only for a few sports photos. And other post every day everything also from the private life. There a few players who also attract non-tennis or non-sport public. Those very few got more attention and more fans. Also management, algorhythms and marketing play a role. But the classical newspapers or tv shows don't have the power they had 20 or 30 years ago.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It seems her problem is not with public attention but her own relationship with tennis; whether she has the passion for the game in the first place going forward; or possibly issues stemming from perfectionism. Remains to be seen. The media thing, she addressed it a while ago saying that after reflecting on it she could've/should've handled it better.

US Open: Naomi Osaka says she got things 'wrong' at French Open (nypost.com)
Thanks very confusing. But she is a confused girl.

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts
WTA is a different sport which popularity is based on looks.

I mean, Wozniacki had an extremely boring game, yet was a star.

Meanwhile, Davydenko had no sponsor despite being in the top 10 😂
When we're talking about overall public interest and marketability, looks play a part also with men even if less. Not the only factor for neither sex, but will boost your appeal. But if you become a dominant force (hold on to #1 ranking; win multiple GSs) you'll get on people's radar sooner or later.

I think some of these could fit Medvedev as well. "Wild and weird, and just what the game needs" (i.e. someone from the younger bunch who can step up and take out the Big 3). "Sometimes he was great. Most times he was hilarious. But he always entertained." Again feels like this could describe Medvedev somewhat. He has that erraticness to himself. One moment he could produce a big winner DTL, another he's kicking down cameras and flipping the crowd. Medvedev doesn't have Safin's looks, but he's a smart guy, and fluent in three languages. May carve out an 'intelligent player' brand. For now has made more off court than Tsitsipas or Zverev.

--

Tennis Photograph Strings Sports equipment Muscle

--

Font Number Document Screenshot

9 facts about Russian 2021 US Open winner Daniil Medvedev (bignewsnetwork.com)

·
Registered
83 Posts
That last thing Meddy and his fans worry about.
Just pick up the racquet and let his tennis do the talking.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
That last thing Meddy and his fans worry about.
Just pick up the racquet and let his tennis do the talking.
I am absolutely certain Medvedev has at least once worried/ thought about the fact that he is just a background character in tennis despite being one of the best in the world just like every other human in his position would.

141 - 160 of 176 Posts