Mens Tennis Forums banner
121 - 140 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
athletics is a very broad term..i am pretty sure in sprinting, marathon,javelin etc, men record must be better than women...
As @Joe Speedboot noted the point is not whether their records are better (of course they are), but how exciting they are perceived to be to spectate. Nothing much to separate women and men in athletics from a spectator's POV; equally interesting to watch, I would say. In addition to the sports listed by Joe, you also have both cross country skiing and slalom where men and women both draw plenty of spectators and both are about equally exciting to watch and have big recognizable names. I'd put table tennis and badminton also in this category. Gymnastics (women actually have the bigger names here?). Volleyball probably also. Somewhat of an outlier like field hockey as far as team sports go. In quite a few team sports the women's game tends to be less exciting to watch. A difference in pace and power does make a difference to the viewing experience. NBA vs. WNBA for instance. Or NHL vs. NWHL.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Once the big 3 recede a bit, the new guys will get more attention. Hopefully they become a bit more PR savvy. Djokovic going CYGS was sucking up all the oxygen.
If Matteo or Stefanos win a slam next year, I'm sure they will get a a lot of attention as fresh face. Med need to try to glam it up and do sexy photoshoots. He has nice abs at least.

·
justice for all
19,403 Posts
As @Joe Speedboot noted the point is not whether their records are better (of course they are), but how exciting they are perceived to be to spectate. Nothing much to separate women and men in athletics from a spectator's POV; equally interesting to watch, I would say. In addition to the sports listed by Joe, you also have both cross country skiing and slalom where men and women both draw plenty of spectators and both are about equally exciting to watch and have big recognizable names. I'd put table tennis and badminton also in this category. Gymnastics (women actually have the bigger names here?). Volleyball probably also. Somewhat of an outlier like field hockey as far as team sports go. In quite a few team sports the women's game tends to be less exciting to watch. A difference in pace and power does make a difference to the viewing experience. NBA vs. WNBA for instance. Or NHL vs. NWHL.
I think it depends entirely on individual preferences but would be interesting to know the cumulative figures (like e.g. the number of viewers) for every sport men vs women.

·
Registered
225 Posts
difference in pace and power makes a difference to viewing experience in almost all sports including athletics..(atleast for me)..i agree about badminton and tt but then i already excluded racquet sports..

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I think in the WTA the Serena effect is well gone and the media is focusing on new generation since long ago while in the ATP, it´s the first time that a player outside big3 has won a slam in long time, Medvedev or any of the new generation that starts to win slams will take a couple of years to gain popularity

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
he's ignored by the public because he's a Russian white guy. It's not rocket science.

Do you think the entire world would be freaking out about Emma Raducanu if her name was Barbora Krejčíková?

Exactly.
Hmm... let me think...

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
difference in pace and power makes a difference to viewing experience in almost all sports including athletics..(atleast for me)..i agree about badminton and tt but then i already excluded racquet sports..
It hardly impacts athletics (and the other sports I listed) though. For you personally perhaps, but in general both women's and men's disciplines are well watched and there are well known male and female stars.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
I think it depends entirely on individual preferences but would be interesting to know the cumulative figures (like e.g. the number of viewers) for every sport men vs women.
Indeed. A Nielsen report on women's sports had some numbers. More interest in disciplines where men's and women's events are often staged together (track and field; tennis; triathlon; MMA; extreme sports). Also confirms what I said above about team sports being for the most part far less known/established on the women's side. Quite a big discrepancy between the most recognizable female athletes and the most recognizable female team sport athletes:

the-rise-of-women-sports.pdf (nielsen.com)

Font Electric blue Screenshot Parallel Brand

Font Parallel Magenta Circle Number

Font Electric blue Magenta Sleeve Brand

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Material property Screenshot Number Rectangle

Product Azure Font Aqua Parallel

Product Font Screenshot Parallel Electric blue

Which sports and athletes are spectated in each country also depends on in which sports said country has success and star power. Slovenia e.g.:

Font Screenshot Document Parallel

Another similar alpine skiing related thing I came across was the fact that Marcel Hirscher's retirement had lowered live audience numbers by 15% in Austria between 18/19 and 19/20 seasons. Sports = star driven. Similar thing following MJ's retirement and you'd expect a similar effect in tennis following the retirement of the Big 3. On alpine skiing, there was also a mention that viewership in Italy on the other hand profited from the sportive success of their female athletes. Overall men's events were viewed more:

Rectangle Product Azure Slope Plot

·
25,717 Posts
To tell the truth I don't get the Raducanu hype too, especially during Wimbledon. She's a great up and comer, but we had lots of teenagers breaking out like Swiatek, Bencic or Andreescu, yet somehow don't have the preemptive hype she had. I could argue in Wimbledon she had less deserved hype than Gauff, which as we know is being hyped up to the max by the USTA and WTA a year or so ago despite not breaking through yet. I think an example combo of success + Anglicized country that didn't get their deserved hype is Barty. Like she's likable and she has a pretty unique game for the WTA. And yet she doesn't have the hype of even other Top 10 players. Hunch is she's not "feminine" enough and maybe is too "professional" in the sense she doesn't show her emotions much on-court regardless of what happens (in TF they infamously have her being the "silent flop" master).

For Medvedev I think it's mostly due to the other Bigs sucking up the popularity. To add to that he kinda broke through late, and wasn't like an A. Zverev or Tstisipas who broke to the Top 20 as teenagers. I agree he also doesn't have the most fluid and flamboyant game out there albeit it is unorthodox. He also seemingly likes to be a villain and won't afraid to speak his mind. He doesn't say much controversial stuff as of late but he also isn't warm or exudes a "comforting" feeling like how Fed (confidence) or Nadal (humility) present themselves. I do think though he has an audience, seemingly from those born in the 90's onward who are into nerd culture. That kind of "I don't care what I look" type of people, who enjoy so many memes. If Medvedev can embrace more of his meme persona maybe that's where his main niche could be in.

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
To tell the truth I don't get the Raducanu hype too, especially during Wimbledon. She's a great up and comer, but we had lots of teenagers breaking out like Swiatek, Bencic or Andreescu, yet somehow don't have the preemptive hype she had. I could argue in Wimbledon she had less deserved hype than Gauff, which as we know is being hyped up to the max by the USTA and WTA a year or so ago despite not breaking through yet. I think an example combo of success + Anglicized country that didn't get their deserved hype is Barty. Like she's likable and she has a pretty unique game for the WTA. And yet she doesn't have the hype of even other Top 10 players. Hunch is she's not "feminine" enough and maybe is too "professional" in the sense she doesn't show her emotions much on-court regardless of what happens (in TF they infamously have her being the "silent flop" master).

For Medvedev I think it's mostly due to the other Bigs sucking up the popularity. To add to that he kinda broke through late, and wasn't like an A. Zverev or Tstisipas who broke to the Top 20 as teenagers. I agree he also have the most fluid and flamboyant game out there albeit it is unorthodox. He also seemingly likes to be a villain and won't afraid to speak his mind. He doesn't say much controversial stuff as of late but he also isn't warm or exudes a "comforting" feeling like how Fed (confidence) or Nadal (humility) present themselves. I do think though he has an audience, seemingly from those born in the 90's onward who are into nerd culture. That kind of "I don't care what I look" type of people, who enjoy so many memes. If Medvedev can embrace more of his meme persona maybe that's where his main niche could be in.
Raducanu hype at Wimbledon needs no explanation.

Medvedev... He's genuine, and analytical yet also playful/witty. Doesn't take himself too seriously. To me he's not really that much of a villain. As others have also said he even flipped that USO 2019 incident to his advantage in the end by not being too serious about the situation.

·
Registered
74 Posts

For Medvedev I think it's mostly due to the other Bigs sucking up the popularity. To add to that he kinda broke through late, and wasn't like an A. Zverev or Tstisipas who broke to the Top 20 as teenagers. I agree he also doesn't have the most fluid and flamboyant game out there albeit it is unorthodox. He also seemingly likes to be a villain and won't afraid to speak his mind. He doesn't say much controversial stuff as of late but he also isn't warm or exudes a "comforting" feeling like how Fed (confidence) or Nadal (humility) present themselves. I do think though he has an audience, seemingly from those born in the 90's onward who are into nerd culture. That kind of "I don't care what I look" type of people, who enjoy so many memes. If Medvedev can embrace more of his meme persona maybe that's where his main niche could be in.

You mean this kind of meme, right? 🤣
Clothing Sports uniform Outerwear Photograph Green

In Toronto, there was hindrance-gate. In Toronto there was camera-gate but in USO he was a good boy. :sneaky:
Raducanu was also emotionless during play but as soon as she wins the match, she breaks into a smile so bright it could blind your eyes. It's probably that...

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
@Ilkae Was there no up and comer lately from the UK, I guess I remember Laura Robson few years ago, but I don't remember her having the hype Raducanu had, hence my curiosity about this.
Re UK up and comer, it seems no one of note. I see Harriet Dart (b. 1996) advanced a few rounds (made it to R3) in 2019. Ranked #182 at that time (had already been inside the top 100 previously); 22 y/o. Katie Swan (b. 1999) advanced one round in 2018. Konta (b. 1991) had been the flag bearer in recent times, but she's a bit older. Robson (b. 1994) appears to have been the one promising star before Raducanu, but she was derailed by injuries. Maybe someone from the UK recalls what the hype was like (if there was one) surrounding Robson at Wimbledon 2013 (R4 run like Raducanu; as a 19 y/o). I see she did receive a few accolades in 2012 following a good year where she e.g. made USO R4 and rose from #131 to #53.
In October, Robson was nominated for the Sports Journalists' Association Sportswoman of the Year.[86] In November, along with Heather Watson, won "Young Sportswoman of the Year" at the 2012 Sunday Times Sportswomen of the Year Awards.[87] Robson was also nominated for "WTA Newcomer of the Year" and William Hill "Sportswoman of the Year" in November,[88] winning the former award.[89]
I think with Raducanu we need to keep in mind that entering Wimbledon her ranking was #338. Thus truly quite the surprise run. Couple that with her being British (plus some of the other things that have been mentioned here thrown in; easy on the eye and a cheerful personality) and you've got a few decent building blocks for Wimbledon hype.

Before USO Raducanu was ranked #150. From there through qualies all the way to the title. I wonder what her pre-tournament odds were? Despite people again listing her looks, country of origin etc., you can't simply brush aside the fact that someone ranked so low goes through qualies and wins it all at a GS. As it stands, had never happened before. Best runs before this by a qualifier (man or woman) were to a SF; 8 wins.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Everything you write is fine on its own, but focusing on Raducanu's looks only serves to detract from her achievement, which is very real.
I would not want you to think I don't recognize her acheivemt: incredible. I think I made this clear in my response to you?
But this thread was about popularity/marketability comparing Radu to Medvedev, so looks became the obvious distinguishing difference. If Med was gorgeous, he too would getting way more attention. Though this figures much less for men than women.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
This sounds sad but I often found during last couple of years that I only watch big 3 matches. Unless no interesting new name pops up during near few years,men's tennis will suffer immensely. I still believe the sport is way bigger than any player, we just need great player to pops up. Tsitsipas, Medvedev or Auger Alliassime are just copy cats emulating big 3 game. We need really talented new guy who takes the game to another level. It is necessary thing in any sport, if tennis won't find such player, it will transfer to nice recreational sport...
Med, Tsitsi and Felix aren't copycats of Big 3, my god, where on earth are you getting that?

This site is an neverending geyser of ;ludicrous comments on tennis.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Once the big 3 recede a bit, the new guys will get more attention. Hopefully they become a bit more PR savvy. Djokovic going CYGS was sucking up all the oxygen.
If Matteo or Stefanos win a slam next year, I'm sure they will get a a lot of attention as fresh face. Med need to try to glam it up and do sexy photoshoots. He has nice abs at least.
Why would Matteo win a slam? That would take massive absenteeism.
Med can't do a sexy photoshoot, LOL That's asking too much.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Medvedev's own fault. He may be a bad negotiator.

He is under the wing of IMG (the same one that has Raducanu (and too many others) in their stable.

He should demand (threaten) IMG to promote him hard or else he'll get out (like Federer did and made himself rich by cutting out the middle agency. Something that Nadal also did later, and then Andy Murray. These giants accurately observed that they are bigger than what IMG was giving them and cut them off. Federer did it early, under good advise of Mirka.

You have to be hardline with this IMG goons. Tehy are huge so you are bound to be small and insignificant unless you are their primary "star" client. If you are passive they will just park you on the side and give you a lump sum that may impress your mom and pop but is actually less than your potential.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Raducanu’s match drew more veiwers. Poor medvedev still without any kind of profile.

121 - 140 of 183 Posts