Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Men's tennis seems to be dying. Raducanu got 7 times more engagement on her Twitter post after winning than Medvedev did and has more Insta followers than Zverev, Theim, Tsitsipas, and Medvedev. Once Federer retires men's tennis is in deep shit and when nadal does it's gonna be a completely dead sport because next-gen just don't interest people, especially medvedev.

Medvedev won the Us open yet no one seems to care?? It was exactly like this when Marin Cillic won in 2014. I rarely see him get crowd support and they would even rather root for Djokovic than him. He was basically just a background player at Wimbledon playing on outside courts despite being world number 2. Sad. Thoughts on this??

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Most people are suprficial. So while Raducanu also looks pretty, Medvedev has the looks of a nutty professor. So of course he does not get the same attention.

I find his personality very interesting and he is one of the few players who hasn't embarrassed himself during Covid. Also, his dead fish celebration gave the gamer community a huge boner.

Give people time, they will love the bullshit Russian soon enough. And anyways, popularity is not everything.

That mens tennis will be dead after the legends are gone goes without saying. Nothing can match this golden ara.

·
Registered
Fred
23,782 Posts
Well... I'm surprised you don't see the reasons, being from Australia -- in the sense that it's part of the Commonwealth.

The main reason is that she's representing GBR. When that's the case, you can be certain she'll be hyped through the roof in at least 4 countries: GBR, USA, Canada and Australia.

That's at least 80% of the reason. If you wanna look further:

Raducanu achieved the same feat as Medvedev, but in an unprecedented way (coming through quallies, winning 10 matches in straight sets, playing only her second GS versus Medvedev who already lost 2 Slam finals and his rise was slow, expected and anticlimactic).

Also, 18 year old female of exotic race >>> goofy balding Russian guy.

Had Berrettini won a Slam, you'd be seeing a bit more coverage, I'm sure. Had he done it playing for GBR, more yet. Had he done it playing shirtless on top of it all... you see where this is going :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Well... I'm surprised you don't see the reasons, being from Australia -- in the sense that it's part of the Commonwealth.

The main reason is that she's representing GBR. When that's the case, you can be certain she'll be hyped through the roof in at least 4 countries: GBR, USA, Canada and Australia.

That's at least 80% of the reason. If you wanna look further:

Raducanu achieved the same feat as Medvedev, but in an unprecedented way (coming through quallies, winning 10 matches in straight sets, playing only her second GS versus Medvedev who already lost 2 Slam finals and his rise was slow, expected and anticlimactic).

Also, 18 year old female of exotic race >>> goofy balding Russian guy.

Had Berrettini won a Slam, you'd be seeing a bit more coverage, I'm sure. Had he done it playing for GBR, more yet. Had he done it playing shirtless on top of it all... you see where this is going :)
Brutal.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He does seem like a charismatic guy but it's just the robo-baseliner game turns people off (as it did with Djokovic).

I suppose you could say the same about Raducanu i.e. she also plays in the same way as all the other WTA players. Maybe the difference is that people have been sick of the WTA for a while and she is a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
69 Posts
She is also half-Chinese, and a video in which she thanked her Chinese fans in Mandarin was seen by 200 million people in China - you just can't beat that kind of marketing power. Had she been from Austria, none of that hype would have happened. Swiatek won her first gram slam in slightly less sensational way, since she did not go through qualifications, but still impressive, but since she is Polish and not as pretty she did not get an equal amount of spotlight.

Hell you can be WTA nr 1 Ash Barty and still have a 5% of sponsorship opportunities that Emma has.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
The funniest thing and what is great about Daniil Medvedev (unlike Djokovic) is i'm absolutely certain he couldn't care less.

Meanwhile, those British fans who have suffered a lot recently with an aging and balding Murray can masturbate themselves over Raducanu. It's all good in the end.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Radacanu is a bigger celebrity than Medvedev, for obvious reasons. No doubt she will turn to modeling, with tennis not being a priority in the near future. I heard she is estimated to earn $100m in endorsements alone

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Medvedev oozes charisma, he's just born on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.
Oh please, not this country card again. Sharapova, at her time one of the most popular athletes of her time was Russian. Sure it does help a bit, but it's not all that counts. I doubt people would stil give many fucks about medvedev if he was american or british...... It's probably because he acts like a jerk on court and has no respect for officials. People appreciate class and respect aka Roger Federer.
The funniest thing and what is great about Daniil Medvedev (unlike Djokovic) is i'm absolutely certain he couldn't care less.

Meanwhile, those British fans who have suffered a lot recently with an aging and balding Murray can masturbate themselves over Raducanu. It's all good in the end.
If Raducanu was Russian, I am absolutely certain she would be more popular than Medvedev so stop acting like "being british" is the only thing that makes her superior to him. She is better than him in every aspect counting from looks to charisma to personality to talent and game

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Nationality is important in social media engagement. If Medvedev was British, twitter facebook and instagram would explode. I'm surprised Medvedev followers on instagram is not 1 million yet, even Russians don't give him enough support.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nationality is important in social media engagement. If Medvedev was British, twitter facebook and instagram would explode. I'm surprised Medvedev followers on instagram is not 1 million yet, even Russians don't give him enough support.
I doubt it would make that much of a difference. If they were both British, Raducanu would still be superior to him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The funniest thing and what is great about Daniil Medvedev is i'm absolutely certain he couldn't care less.
I agree. He has charisma but in an anti-hero kind. He has got "enough" attention and engagement and sponsorship. If you want to be loved by everyone, you have to always be agreeable, can't say or do anything controversial, which I am sure not what he wants.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I bet radacanu still won't be able to fill a stadium in the years to come. People are fans of the fairytale, not her tennis. She'll do another Osaka and take a sabbatical for mental health issues lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Federer is from a small country i.e Switzerland yet he is the most adored athlete of all time because he played beautiful tennis and always acted classy. If he was a brat like Medvedev then he would be unappealing as well. Stop acting like nationality is the reason. It's one of many contributing factors but it is not enough to stop you from being a star.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bet radacanu still won't be able to fill a stadium in the years to come. People are fans of the fairytale, not her tennis. She'll do another Osaka and take a sabbatical for mental health issues lol
Absolutely nothing wrong with that....
And both Raducanu and Osaka can fill more stadiums than Medvedev.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Oh please, not this country card again. Sharapova, at her time one of the most popular athletes of her time was Russian. Sure it does help a bit, but it's not all that counts. I doubt people would stil give many fucks about medvedev if he was american or british...... It's probably because he acts like a jerk on court and has no respect for officials. People appreciate class and respect aka Roger Federer.

If Raducanu was Russian, I am absolutely certain she would be more popular than Medvedev so stop acting like "being british" is the only thing that makes her superior to him. She is better than him in every aspect counting from looks to charisma to personality to talent and game
You're answering most of your questions yourself, so I don't know why you bothered opening a thread about it.

You're from Australia, so you might not feel it, but trust me, russophobia is alive and well in the "West". I have no agenda here, as a citizen of a former communist country who felt the wrath of the Soviet bear in full, but it is what it is.

Besides, you're comparing apples and oranges. Hot WTA players will always have more followers than lanky, balding weirdos with an enlarged braincase, no matter how charismatic they might be.

I don't engage on the forum a lot, so I'm not really familiar with everyone, but it looks to me like you just have a chip on your shoulder. If you want to fight, why not join a boxing club or something?

1 - 20 of 183 Posts