Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year, like last, Djokovic beat Federer at Wimbledon even though 90% of the crowd supported Roger. There are countless other examples.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Support was maybe 60 40.
90 percent support from a vocal audience would definitely be a factor.

Plus Djoko has enjoyed overwhelming support in USO and AOs.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
75:25 by Wimbledon attendance poll.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
There were a lot of butthurt people in ruins.:devil:
LOL! The more Novak ignores fans support for his opponent or against him, the more he will keep on winning. The more he wins, the more he will be liked and supported. He seems to be improving in that respect lately, which is one of the reason he is winning more.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
I think that a lot has to do with the confidence of a player.
A player who rides high on confidence doesn't need the crowd support or can even play with a hostile crowd against him.
However, if the player feels a bit insecure, he'll probably get more easily affected by a crowd who is cheering heavily for his opponent.
Some players even feed on hostility. Hewitt in his peak period for example.

On the side, having the crowd support on his side doesn't really help a player win either IMO. Federer had the majority of the crowd on his side here and he often played with the crowd support in RG. Doesn't really change the outcome all that much.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This year, like last, Djokovic beat Federer at Wimbledon even though 90% of the crowd supported Roger. There are countless other examples.
But, bookies almost ALWAYS give bigger chances for win to the host team. I wonder why ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
As an unbiased tennis expert I put an asterisk behind every home slam.
For example: Fed's 5 USO titles > Sampras' & Connors' 5 USO titles

·
Premium Member
21,609 Posts
Some players really enjoy it (Novak, Tsonga, Monfils and so on), some couldn't care less, but it's probably nice to have, I guess nobody likes a hostile crowd.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Some players really enjoy it (Novak, Tsonga, Monfils and so on), some couldn't care less, but it's probably nice to have, I guess nobody likes a hostile crowd.
If I recall, Hewitt kinda liked it no?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
It depends on the type of crowd it is IMO. Davis Cup, US Open for an American, FO for a Frenchman, when they get really vocal in between points, screaming and cheering the other player's mistakes, then yes it has an effect. At Wimbledon, even if it was 75:25, what was it? More people were politely clapping when Roger won a point than Novak? No big deal.

I remember being at the Rogers Cup a few years back on one of the smaller courts and Monaco was losing in the third. These maybe 15 Argentinian supporters came and were going NUTS, screaming, ringing bells and everything after every point. Completely rattled his opponent and he ended up coming back to win.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Some feed of it, some crack under the pressure of it. What strange is that in Davis Cup, players seem to be almost immune to bad crowd interference,
but for example at wimbledon they almost go nuts when the crowd is misbehaving. I guess crowd support can be a deciding factor to some players to others not.

·
Premium Member
21,609 Posts
Some feed of it, some crack under the pressure of it. What strange is that in Davis Cup, players seem to be almost immune to bad crowd interference,
but for example at wimbledon they almost go nuts when the crowd is misbehaving. I guess crowd support can be a deciding factor to some players to others not.
I guess in Davis Cup everybody expects interference, so they are less disturbed when it happens.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Of course it's overrated. It's overrated in sports where fans actually openly boo and insult the visiting team and you think it's much of a factor in pro tennis where they cheer both players when they hit a winner?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts