Discussion Starter #1
I think yes:(
this is only for this year...
Reasons:
1)always losses in three sets:sad:
2)retired due injury:sad:
3)lost in Tie break:sad:

examples:

(4)Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) def. Zeljko Krajan (CRO) 3-6 6-3 2-1 ret.
(5)Rainer Schuettler (GER) def. Zeljko Krajan (CRO) 6-4 2-6 6-3
(6)Davide Sanguinetti (ITA) def. Zeljko Krajan (CRO) 6-2 6-7(7) 6-1
(5)Jan-Michael Gambill (USA) def. Zeljko Krajan (CRO) 4-6 6-3 6-4
(9)Andy Roddick (USA) def. Zeljko Krajan (CRO) 6-7(9) 6-2 7-6(0) 6-3

Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) def. (4)Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 4-6 6-4 7-6(9)
(q)Vadim Kutsenko (UZB) def. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 6-3 6-4 1-6 4-6 6-3
Martin Verkerk (NED) def. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 3-6 7-5 7-6(1)
(1)Roger Federer (SUI) def. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 7-6(3) ret.
Max Mirnyi (BLR) def. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 4-2 ret.

Nicolas Escude (FRA) def. Mario Ancic (CRO) 6-2 3-6 7-6(10)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) def. (q)Mario Ancic (CRO) 6-7(5) 7-6(5) 6-4
(q)Tomas Behrend (GER) def. (7)Mario Ancic (CRO) 6-4 6-7(7) 7-6(2)
(q)Andrei Stoliarov (RUS) def. (WC)Goran Ivanisevic (CRO) 6-6 ret.

pfffffffffffff

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!:sad:
dissaster!!!

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Well, all of Goran's troubles make me wonder if it was really in the stars for him to come back. Perhaps he should have just left with his Wimbledon triumph, because it's almost as painful to watch him have to retire with an injury as it is for him to have it.

Mario is young and this is his first year playing more ATP events than Challengers. Give him a chance to grow into his game and you'll see better results from him.

The other two I can't speak for.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Yes, I take your point - I suppose you can say that Ivanisevic set the trend for Croatian bad luck in losing all three of his Wimbledon finals throughout the 1990s, before finally getting it on his fourth attempt. But the way I look at it, both Krajan and Ancic are young players who are only just making their way onto the Tour, and they're bound to have some close, disappointing losses before they really make a major breakthrough.

As for Ljubicic, well, the reason why he keeps getting defeated either through retirement or through tight tiebreaker-third sets is entirely down to the nature of his game; he's a big server so he's obviously at risk of some injury problems, especially the rather awkward looking stance he has on his serve, and he's also a fairly poor returner so he's not going to get many opportunities to break.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
ivo karlovic also lost in a 3rd set tb today :sad:

what an awful season, we have 3 potential top 20 players on the men's side and goran and none of them can get a lucky break :mad:

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Indeed, it is "are" and not "is". However, I'm fairly sure that English is not Blades native tongue, and this is a very common mistake for non native speakers to make. The meaning of what he was trying to express was very clear, and that is what is important here.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think yes:(
this is only for this year...
Reasons:
1)always losses in three sets:sad:
2)retired due injury:sad:
3)lost in Tie break:sad:
*comfort*
They defeated USA in the DC, didn't they :)

...in the 2nd Rd they're going to face the Armada, though...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Re: Is Croatian tennis players unlucky???:(

kiro said:
...in the 2nd Rd they're going to face the Armada, though...

They're gonna face Rijeka's fans? Ouch. That'll hurt.
heh, sorry, couldn't resist. Armada is the name fans of a soccer club from Croatia go bye.

Anyway, hope they'll all get a break this year. And I think Goran should retire. It's just too stressful on his body. I think he wants to go with a bang, but I'm not so sure his body can take it. :sad:

And finally, about the are/is thingie. What's really sad about that is that I've seen more Americans make that and other similar mistakes, then non-native english speakers. Fortunately the Net usually attracts the more literate portions of society. At least it was so until recently...

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
And finally, about the are/is thingie. What's really sad about that is that I've seen more Americans make that and other similar mistakes, then non-native english speakers. Fortunately the Net usually attracts the more literate portions of society. At least it was so until recently...
I'm the first to admit that my own grammar on here is often rather poor. The way I see it, if I wanted to be writing an essay, I would... I don't take the time to edit my posts on here, and I type very fast, so often it comes out as an incomprehensible blurb...

That said, I do keep my verb tenses in English correct. However, from learning other languages, I understand how easy it is to make slight errors when trying to distinguish between the different tenses of a particular verb (when dealing with a language other than my native tongue, that is).

At least in Spanish and French many of the verbs often have the same root, and you just have to memorize the endings.. It often doesn't work quite like that in English...

Regardless - as I said above - what is important is that the message gets across, not how perfectly it was written.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Is Croatian tennis players unlucky???:(

Master Lu said:
Americans don't speak English - they seem to be under the illusion that they do but to say that they do is the same as saying that a Lada Riva is the same as a Ferrari 550 because they both have four wheels. They speak American.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, technically they speek American-English, but I can understand where's you're coming from. I'm sick of telling people Serbian and Croatian are not the same languages as well... (and there's much bigger of a difference between sreb and cro)

Anyway, as Becca said, we're not writing essays or anything like that. Though if you find English difficoult, try peeking at Croatian. lol
Though the most difficoult language I've ever heard of must be Sanskrit. And to think my crazy mum studied it...

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
yeah, try looking at croatian, it must be the most messed up language in the world

i for one speak it fluently, but have never gone to school in croatia and so i don't know the grammer rules, i just know if something "sounds right"

and yes, master lu is right, serbian and croatian are the exact same language with the exception of about 5 words (like a thousand is tisuca in one and hiljada in the other - but everyone knows both words anyways)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was actually saying that Serbian and Croatian are different languages...

But anyway, back to the original topic, did you notice how Karajan always plays seeds? Poor guy... That's unlucky!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Americans don't speak English - they seem to be under the illusion that they do but to say that they do is the same as saying that a Lada Riva is the same as a Ferrari 550 because they both have four wheels. They speak American.
As a retort to Americans who say the French would be speaking German if not for them, someone said the Americans would be speaking English if not for the French.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
This is a rather pompous way for a Brit to look at it, no? The Americans speak English. English comes in many dialects, but it's still English. I suppose that Scots speak "Scottish", people from Ireland speak "Irish", and I speak "Canadian"?

According to your logic, people from Argentina speak "Argentine", and not Spanish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Absolutely correct - and Welsh people speak gibberish. I make no apologies for my pomposity!

It just irritates me that evrything bought in Britain that appears to be of my native tongue is actually American; when my computer is telling me to spell "colour" as "color" and "aluminium" as "aluminum", I take issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts