Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He doesn't tend to lose to mugs at slams and breadsticked Rafa, pushing him to 5-7 in the third

I believe he will at least make the quarters on current form, after that it's anyone's game but I think he can beat Djokovic on clay and maybe Rafa is he plays aggressively

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The darkest horse...darker than Nishikori, Tsonga, Dimitrov, Raonic etc...

Clayray with his exceptional brain can lose to literally anyone on clay...

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
He was GOATing against Nadal in the first set but sadly he can't keep that level of play up. He could still do reasonably well though I think.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
He was GOATing against Nadal in the first set but sadly he can't keep that level of play up. He could still do reasonably well though I think.
He just needs to find consistency in his tactics. He switches between pushing, moonball, ballbashing, and offensive point construction. I really think he needs to up his serve a bit too.

But, he CAN do it. I just don't have any faith that he will.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If he was focused the same way against the lower ranked opponents as he is against the big guns then yes.
Sadly I think the motivation, focus he showed against Nadal will not be present in the earlier couple rounds and that's where he'll lose out. But on the bright side he showed last night what he is capable of on clay. I haven't seen that from him in nearly 3 years.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I guess so.

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
People are so getting carried away by his performance against Rafa. :facepalm:

But then again, this is MTF, its to be expected.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Again, Patriotic Feeling Doesn't Make Mugray A Good Player.
British/scottish, Stop Fantasising.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'd be very pleased with a semi final appearance, couldn't see him beating Rafa or Novak in a best of 5 on clay but he's capable of beating Ferrer and Federer on last nights form.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
It depends how dark you think a horse can be before it becomes a black hole and swallows the universe. If he gets a walkover against two or three players, plays at his peak in his other matches, and gets very lucky, he could maybe do it. Probably he would tank the final anyway to prepare for the grass courts.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
He's made the QFs and the SFs in the past so clearly capable of doing well.

He's more vulnerable to big hitters on clay than anywhere else though. Depends on his draw. Probably a QF though which should be enough to secure a top 4 wimbledon seeding which is the main thing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts