I looked at the draw in Rome and Cilic's draw is just absurd. :lol:

R1: GGL
R2: Klizan
R3: Ferrer
QF: Murray
SF: Nishikori/Djokovic
F: Nadal

:superlol:

All players in great form. He could actually lose to anyone of them(not that shocking for Cilic on clay but still). IMO, he's losing to GGL in R1.

Can the draw be any harder?

Registered
Clayray is officially a bad draw now? SF is always going to be against a top player. I don't see how you can count final as part of the draw either.

Banned
Discussion Starter #4
Take a chill pill, I'm basically talking about the first 3 rounds. The rest is here for a stronger impression.

Registered

All players in great form. He could actually lose to anyone of them(not that shocking for Cilic on clay but still). IMO, he's losing to GGL in R1.

Nadal in great form? :spit:

GGL and Klizan in the first 2 rounds aren't easy but they are not THAT tough, either.

Registered
Maybe if he wasn't such a scrub and won matches like the one against Monaco he would have Stanley's position. But I agree, he and Grigor have the toughest road to the QF of the top 10 seeds. Top 10 claycourter GGL, top 10 player Klizan and Ferrer, what a draw.

Registered
Clayray is officially a bad draw now? SF is always going to be against a top player. I don't see how you can count final as part of the draw either.
Is there a reason you disregard the fact that he plays Ferrer in R3 or that Klizan and GGL are not exactly easy opponents for their respective rounds? He has no easy rounds and should go through pretty much anyone worth mentioning to win it. I'd say that's a tough draw.

Registered

in third round possible opponents were Ferrer, Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka. both Berdych and Nishikori are in better form then he is... in QF he couldve got Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray. im pretty sure Murray is not the toughest one there.
its hardly "absurd" draw. having good clay courter in r1 doesn't make draw absurd.

Banned
Novak's draw is more difficult:

Almagro/Agut/Nishikori/Murray/Nadal

Administrator | Chaos Theory
Tough is dependent on whether you think he would advance otherwise. A draw would be tough on anyone who could lose in the first couple of rounds. I don't expect him to go far either way the draw works out. Of course he got GGL, Klizan and Ferrer which are tricky for anybody and Cilic is not very good on clay to begin with.

In broader perspective of the top 8 seeds who are expected to do well, the top half with Djokovic and Nishikori is absolutely packed so I'd say Nishikori has a tough draw as he has to meet Djokovic in QF.

Registered
Novak's draw is more difficult:

Almagro/Agut/Nishikori/Murray/Nadal
If you have to include possible final opponent to make the draw look tougher then it normally isn't that tough.

But yes I think Djoko has sort of tough draw apart from being on other side of the draw with Rafa. YET Nishi and especially Murray might be tired come Rome and Almagro hasn't been playing well for some time. So it could become a cakewalk.

Registered
first two rounds are ok, but he probably won't make past it anyway, so this thread is pointless
EDIT: just saw he lost to GGL, so my point exactly

The Last Mohican
Brutal draw going up against a clay pusher right off the bat. OH well. Better prepare for the big one.

Registered
Lol at looking towards the final. GGL will save tennis in the first round.
Who cares. He's going to lose in the first round anyway, though draw or not.
Good calls as it turns out. Well done. GGL d. Cilic 6-4, 6-3.

His amazing US Open run seems long ago now. Does he lack something inside, or is it just the normal post 1st slam letdown?

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 28 Posts