Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, players do prefer energy bar(for energy), sports drinks(hydration), bananas(multiple cons) and etc.
I have never witnessed any players taking chocolate during matches. Nadal's after game diet includes chocolate thou.
Comically, this chocolate become a main issue in One country from Eas- Asia and two former atp players from the country speak up their voice for this matter.

Few days back, a player ate chocolate(by Kit-Kat) during USO 1st round match. This ain't a big deal for sure. Who cares what players to take, right? Unfortunately, an anchor from a broadcaster mentioned that the player should care about his diet and advise him for other supplements such as bananas and energy bar rather than eating chocolate. However, the caster kinda repeat the matter multiple times which made whole team of the player got mad after the match.
Next day, the coach of the player announced his frustration and mocked the opposition through Instagram. While they were professional players and did play together, the coach play at a higher level than the caster. But again who cares and they both could not play higher than a challenger level.
After the sns post from the coach, another former tennis player who played regular atp matches address his word at Instagram. The post shares same idea of the coach.

What do you guys think?
One saying pro should eat better nutrients than just chocolate snack for better outcome.
The other claims that just shut up and do what you know better, bcuz they themselves are the expert of this matter and other tour players also take chocolate during the matches.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
They use insane amount of energy during the matches, so carbs are very welcome, and chocolate isn't an issue fitness-wise. The problem is, all these energy sources have high glycemic index, give you blood sugar spikes, that can also dip after some time. "Low glycemic index (GI) foods may confer an advantage when eaten before prolonged strenuous exercise by providing a slow-release source of glucose to the blood without an accompanying insulin surge" (
)
In his WIRED interview Novak said he prefers dates for this reason, they give you constant blood sugar levels.

He says it at 2:46 mark

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
They use insane amount of energy during the matches, so carbs are very welcome, and chocolate isn't an issue fitness-wise. The problem is, all these energy sources have high glycemic index, give you blood sugar spikes, that can also dip after some time. "Low glycemic index (GI) foods may confer an advantage when eaten before prolonged strenuous exercise by providing a slow-release source of glucose to the blood without an accompanying insulin surge" (
)
In his WIRED interview Novak said he prefers dates for this reason, they give you constant blood sugar levels.

He says it at 2:46 mark

This.

I know it's not comparable, but as a recreational player, I was eating sugar-based energy sources before the matches, and there was always a period like 15 minutes into the match, I would feel weak in the whole body for a bit. I though it was about me and I always managed that period by trying to hold on as much as i could until I got normal again.
This stopped as soon as I dropped sugar

·
Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts
Complex carbs 1h before and 1h after, simple carbs 15 mins before and 15 mins after, keep it simple people

Source: Me, a certified trainer

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
This.

I know it's not comparable, but as a recreational player, I was eating sugar-based energy sources before the matches, and there was always a period like 15 minutes into the match, I would feel weak in the whole body for a bit. I though it was about me and I always managed that period by trying to hold on as much as i could until I got normal again.
This stopped as soon as I dropped sugar
Man I feel reborn since I dropped artificial carbs (i.e.sweets, candy, juices, carbonated drinks, etc) not only on court, but in general. I am a subpar recreational player, but yea, I feel these thigs as well.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Complex carbs 1h before and 1h after, simple carbs 15 mins before and 15 mins after, keep it simple people

Source: Me, a certified trainer
Thanks for sharing this with us. Can you give us an example menu pre/post match with quantities as well as the food type, would be extremely useful.

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Depends on the type of chocolate. The less refined sugars you take the better in my experience

·
Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with us. Can you give us an example menu pre/post match with quantities as well as the food type, would be extremely useful.
You're gonna wanna get a low glycemic index carb, aka complex carb, such as oatmeal, rice, pasta, lentils, quinoa to eat 1h before. This time gives the body time to break down the carb and be ready for fuel as you step onto the court. The simple carb, high glycemic index, such as fruits like apples, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, eat 15m before you go out there. This gives you a nice little boost soon as you get out there. When you hit that "sugar crash" after your blood sugar levels come down, that is when the complex carbs kick in, allowing you to play for 2-3-4 hrs or whatever.

After training, when you are depleted as fuck, you get home and eat that fruit again, get your sugar levels back up, and while that is happening you make and eat the low glycemic index complex carb as your levels go down as you digest the simple carb which hits your bloodstream quickly. Of course you then eat your proteins for recovery

I always recommend of course an energy drink during the match, high glycemic, fruits or fruit based sports drink but of course look at the ingredients.

As for quantity, it depends on what you are trying to do in the macro term. Gain weight? Lose weight? Maintain weight? Without knowing that I cannot tell you exactly what you need. I'd also need to take your body fat measurements to get your Basal Metabolic Rate, aka, your minimal calories needed to sustain life. For me, on a hard training day, I'll burn 3k-5k calories

·
justice for all
15,280 Posts
Thiem was recently spotted drinking Red Bull during this USO. It's a cool drink but it's actually very unhealthy.

It's not a nutrition related thing but Ferru was a heavy smoker who averaged 40 cigarets per day during the peak of his career.

Oh well, not everyone is ready to sacrifice everything including small indulgences and go into a "robot" mode to chase for the all time records.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Thiem was recently spotted drinking Red Bull during this USO. It's a cool drink but it's actually very unhealthy.

It's not a nutrition related thing but Ferru was a heavy smoker who averaged 40 cigarets per day during the peak of his career.

Oh well, not everyone is ready to sacrifice everything including small indulgences and go into a "robot" mode to chase for the all time records.
Wait, what? 40? I knew he was a smoker but didn't realize it was that bad...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Obviously pro players don’t eat stuff like this all the time but sometimes simple sugar like soda, chocolate, etc. can give a player a needed energy boost in a tough match.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Too much sugar. Djokovic uses dates. I've seen one senior player actually use potato chips, said it's a good source of salt. Dates have more potassium than banana. Vitamin mineral amino acid mix in water is very good too. Gatorade not so good, too much sugar.

·
Registered
10,187 Posts
Only with added nuts and meldonium.😋😋

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There are many different kinds of chocolate, as well as different kinds of supplements. Besides, every person has unique body chemistry. And some people are allergic to chocolate. So, there's no "one size fits all" approach. But as others have said, usually the less sugar a supplement has, the better.

As for dates, dried fruit is very high in fructose. In fact, one alternative-health expert recommends not consuming more than 25 grams of fructose a day (or 15 grams if you have insulin resistance). In fact, only 1/3 cup of dates (approximately 80 grams) has about 25 grams of fructose!! :oops: Also, even if dates help stabilize Djokovic's blood sugar, it's unlikely they do this for everyone. In general, dried fruit is best consumed in moderation, if at all. And if consumed with some fat and/or protein, it's less likely to make your blood sugar spike.

For most people, finding the "supplements" that work best for them is probably a matter of trial and error.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,585 Posts
Monfils drank coke in that USO match against Federer. He ended up losing but I can't really make out any correlations.

Chocolate isn't really a standard food to consume for athletes during a match. I think muesli is preferred. That said I don't think a bit of chocolate here and there, or even McDonalds is that bad as some might think.

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
Man I feel reborn since I dropped artificial carbs (i.e.sweets, candy, juices, carbonated drinks, etc) not only on court, but in general. I am a subpar recreational player, but yea, I feel these thigs as well.
I was thin when I was eating sweets, now for foew years I am eating mostly healthy and I gained 15 kgs. I have an alien body :D.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts