Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
belated reaction to Agassi getting spanked by Schuettler last night. i watched it on TSN so i was spared all of Pat and Cliff's reactions. in fact the Canadians were rather respectful of both players altho' both commentators expressed shock at Agassi's loss.

watching the match i expected that outcome. you could tell that Rainer was systematically just taking Agassi apart. Agassi's game has no secrets. he has no unexpected plays. it's a predictable method that has won him 58 titles. but i couldn't help but wonder if Cahill is wasting his time trying to work with this aging dog. can he learn any new tricks at this point? and where is the fitness that is so celebrated? it was Agassi who looked winded, not Schuettler? so as an Agassi fan i am asking not whether he should retire (i don't think so bec he is after all #1) but whether Cahill as a coach is wasting his time. wouldn't his efforts be better matched to a younger player whose career is on the ascent. what exctly do he and Agassi have to give each other?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
No TC, Cahill is not wasting his time. Agassi has already won a grand slam this year and he will be 1 of the favorites at the upcoming U.S. Open. And Andre might still end up as the player of the year. And at his age that would be a great accomplishment. :D

I don't think Agassi can learn any new tricks at this late stage of his career. But with contenders Marat Safin totally out of it and Lleyton Hewitt lost at the moment, I don't see why Andre wouldn't have a good shot at another U.S. Open title. Only Federer and Roddick would be slight favorites over Agassi at the Open.

As for Agassi's legendary stamina, he's bound to slow down at sometime.

And I think Cahill will gladly coach Agassi until Andre goes a complete year without a grand slam title. But where is Cahill going to go if he and Andre split up?

TC, you chose TSN over ESPN? OMG! :eek: Cliff Drysdale and Patrick McEnroe just aren't that bad.

But it is shameful how ESPN2 is showing the Roddick-Federer match again instead of the second men's semifinal. :mad: The Roddick-Federer match was tremendous! :D But it's a shame ESPN2 is not showing the second men's semifinal. But you can be sure they would be showing the second men's semifinal if Agassi was playing in it.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Excuse me cat, but Cliffy and PMac are that bad. Biased assholes. :fiery:

Back to the topic, if Agassi plays as poorly as he did in Canada he won't be contending at the US Open. The length of the season seems to be taking its toll on him. Not surprising at his age.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Re: Re: is Cahill wasting his time?

I second Leo, PMac and Cliffy were at their worse yesterday. Totally bias and had no respect for Schuettler.

I don't mind they are behind Agassi or Roddick or any American players since that's normal. But as commentators, you still have to respect the player on the opposite side of the net which they failed miserably.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I don't remember Drysdale and McEnroe being biased against my all time favorite men's tennis player Stefan Edberg when he played against top Americans Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Micheal Chang and Jim Courier.

That said I probably don't pick up on their bias becasue I usually enjoy their broadcasts. I've been listening to Drysdale on ESPN since the mid 1980's. So perhaps I am too used to him to pick up on his alleged bias. And I've always liked McEnroe. He's a class guy.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
TC, you chose TSN over ESPN? OMG! :eek: Cliff Drysdale and Patrick McEnroe just aren't that bad.
Erm? Excuse me? Do you have some sort of problem with TSN? The commentary of the tennis this week on TSN was extremely refreshing after the biased crap that ESPN throws at me ever tennis masters series. Cliff and Mac might know there tennis better than the guys who commentated here, but they certainly don't always do a good job of demonstrating their knowledge.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I am a fan of all the Americans, but I can't stand Patty Mac mehself. He's annoying

When Rogi made that awesome point in Set 3--when Roddick ran him out wide and he came back in to hit that backhand that barely got over, did y'all hear Pat scream "Nooooooooooooooo" and then quickly add "Hooooooooooo hooooooo, too good!" Busted!

Anyway... that's besides the point of the thread.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I don't have a problem with TSN, Becca. In fact I don't even have TSN! ;) There are too many cable channels as it is. Hmmm. Maybe I have TSN but don't even know it. :eek: But I am wondering how TC has it. :confused:

Nwan, are you saying McEnroe was covering up for himself?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I think Cahill has done a great job since he joined the Andre camp. Andre is having a great year, possibly his best year since 99. Of course all players know all the shots and tactics and everything, but still Andre needs someone to watch his matches and comment on what he is doing wrong, scout his opponents and stuff. He said himself coaches play a very important role for his career and he wouldnt be where he was without a coach. One loss does not mean Darren is wasting his time!

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: Re: is Cahill wasting his time?

2001 was definitely a better year for Andre, I'd say.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
That's what I'm saying dude!

the cat said:
I don't have a problem with TSN, Becca. In fact I don't even have TSN! ;) There are too many cable channels as it is. Hmmm. Maybe I have TSN but don't even know it. :eek: But I am wondering how TC has it. :confused:

Nwan, are you saying McEnroe was covering up for himself?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the cat said:
bec i happen to be in Toronto Cat! i asked the hotel concierge which channel to look for tennis and he told me 22 and 30, neither of which happen to be ESPN. i have no idea if ESPN is even an option. i agree with Becca that the Canadian guys were not as knowledgeable but neither were they nauseating. it was a refreshing change.

i'm spending the day tomorrow at the women's event at York which i'm having the hardest time getting any info about. this is NOT a tennis town IMO! anyway i'll flounder my way there and give y'all a report over on the other forum. unless there's a WTA room down here (i am thoroughly confused) in which case i'll post it there.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
So you're in Toronto TC. And how you watched the Roddick-Federer match on TSN makes sense now.

TC, maybe you'll run into WTA World posters Sharky and babsi in Toronto. They're there to see the women's event. As you apparently are, too. Have fun in the Toronto sun! :D :wavey:

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
4 titles (including a GS) thru over 2/3 of the season isn't bad, not even for Andre...especially considering he's a heavy favorite for the US Open, and no Pete as an obstacle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts