Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1- awfully expensive and overvalued (in terms of purchasing power), also expensive education and subpar health care system. Try renting in london if you dont earn good you will barely make it to survive.
2- Bad weather (not proper winters or summers)
3- monolingual population, british are barely able to speak their own language, let alone second languages.
4- highest obesity rate in Europe (after malta who basically is half british)
5 - Worst media/newspapers I have ever seen. The sun, express.com.uk
6 - unattractive women (no offense intended). I just notice the drop if I visit coming from a continental European country or Scandinavia.
7 - nonsensical violence/drunk culture. The only country where I felt anything can happen, and you can bump into a group of random youngsters raised between the wolves that will try to beat you up for no reason.
8 - centralism , there is London and there is the Rest, similar to France and Paris. 9 out of 10 poorest places in central/Northern Europe are located within the UK borders.
9 - Bad infrastructure/train system/cities in poor condition. as wealth across the country is unequally distributed you can see a lot of smaller cities and towns which are lagging behind a lot, which doesn't happen in less centralized countries.
10 - monotonic and uninspiring architecture and cities.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Britain has Wimbledon :)

·
Premium Member
29,050 Posts
Agree about 1-7 and 9.

Not about 8, of course centralism is there, but there are also big cities like Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow. Also some of the Eastern Polish or even Northeastern Hungarian regions are way more poorer than any regions in the UK, and they still qualify as Central European.
Also the architecture is really varied, many buildings and manors from Middle Ages and historical inner cities (downtowns).

All in all, a lot of negative developments since 1990 as the UK needed to cope that it lost a portion of its economical/political power in the world/EU and the responses to that were partly not adequate. Some of its slum boroughs like Hackney in London showed even in early 1980's really negative tendencies, they just further deteriorated in last 25 years.

·
Moderator | Golddigger
16,271 Posts
Lol

Good fball league though

In seriousness its a great spot!!

But to your Q. Its possibly correct only because its rated so highly but is still one of best. Paris is more over rated though

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Of course the UK has been overrated for decades. They were the biggest empire in the world, so the decline was inevitable. But the Brits don't accept that reality.

The UK's cultural influence in the world is still huge though, because of the language and it's old-fashioned traditions that everybody loves (watching from outside).

Two more aspects to add to the list:

• the real-world effects of Brexit: lack of workers (leading to product shortages, problems with health care and social services), much less international trade, less student exchange
  • due to Johnson's style of leadership, the UK government has lost all credibility, among it's population and other countries. The UK is no longer a trusted leader in the Western world.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree about 1-7 and 9.

Not about 8, of course centralism is there, but there are also big cities like Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow. Also some of the Eastern Polish or even Northeastern Hungarian regions are way more poorer than any regions in the UK, and they still qualify as Central European.
Also the architecture is really varied, many buildings and manors from Middle Ages and historical inner cities (downtowns).

All in all, a lot of negative developments since 1990 as the UK needed to cope that it lost a portion of its economical/political power in the world/EU and the responses to that were partly not adequate. Some of its slum boroughs like Hackney in London showed even in early 1980's really negative tendencies, they just further deteriorated in last 25 years.
The study included UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg, Denmark and Sweden, So all of Western Europe, excluding Southern Europe and the Eastern European. Countries

·
Premium Member
29,050 Posts
The study included UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg, Denmark and Sweden, So all of Western Europe, excluding Southern Europe and the Eastern European. Countries
Could you link it? Would reveal a bit more.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
1- awfully expensive and overvalued (in terms of purchasing power), also expensive education and subpar health care system. Try renting in london if you dont earn good you will barely make it to survive.
3- monolingual population, british are barely able to speak their own language, let alone second languages.
6 - unattractive women (no offense intended). I just notice the drop if I visit coming from a continental European country or Scandinavia.
7 - nonsensical violence/drunk culture. The only country where I felt anything can happen, and you can bump into a group of random youngsters raised between the wolves that will try to beat you up for no reason.
8 - centralism , there is London and there is the Rest, similar to France and Paris. 9 out of 10 poorest places in central/Northern Europe are located within the UK borders.
9 - Bad infrastructure/train system/cities in poor condition. as wealth across the country is unequally distributed you can see a lot of smaller cities and towns which are lagging behind a lot, which doesn't happen in less centralized countries.
11 - Bad teeth.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Funny thread, seemingly posted apropos of nothing, but I have always enjoyed German anti-Anglo sentiment (though I take no special pleasure in it as an Anglo Germanophile).

Britain seems unlikely to recover from the lasting deleterious effects of Tony Blair's premiership, whose work essentially completed the regressive social revolution started by his predecessors Clement Attlee and Harold Wilson (a process which has been completely unopposed by Tories, who have no aspirations beyond their own self-interest, and who have in recent decades almost fully embraced the same social values as the Labour Party). The destruction of our best schools in the name of egalitarianism has caused untold damage to social mobility in this country, and likely squandered our technological capacity by subjecting many generations of bright children to subpar schooling. The economic consequences are incalculable. So much more can and has been written on this, but I will stop ranting on it.

I expect a continued decline in the standard of living as the Tories pursue their goal of reaching a net-zero carbon economy by 2030, which will be expensive, ineffective, and likely to cause the biggest social unrest since the poll tax riots of 1990. Anyone who understands the condition of Britain's housing stock knows that this goal has no chance of being achieved without serious political strife. The actual, concrete measures proposed to achieve net-zero are a recipe for discontent, much like the diesel tax situation that precipitated the Gilets jaunes in 2018.

No doubt Britain's glory days have long been over, but its decline might not be as quick as that of France. It is still too early to judge, but it might tell you something that France has produced the best writer documenting the decline and cultural malaise of Europe in general (and France in particular) in the great Michel Houellebecq.

As for obesity, it is indeed a disgrace. A lot of people in this country are literally unable to cook a meal from scratch with fresh ingredients, and would rather continue wasting money on takeaways, frozen prepared meals and restaurants than learn a valuable money saving skill ("it's more convenient", "I don't have time", etc). It is tragic. The problem is not going to be solved by government intervention, because the public health lobby has a stupid and reductive monomania about sugar, a benign macronutrient which doesn't even begin to explain how we got in this rut and certainly doesn't offer any solutions. Imagine thinking you can mitigate childhood obesity by banning advertisements for sugary cereals or introducing a sugar tax to make energy drinks 10p more expensive. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Totally. I don't quite understand why illegal immigrants bypass places like Germany and the Netherlands to get to the UK - it probably has something to do with the marketing image vs the reality.

If you live outside of the south east of England, it's just a horrible grim place. It's basically a cultural wasteland, where you can't even go out on a Saturday evening without some 50 year old alcoholic vomiting on you.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Totally. I don't quite understand why illegal immigrants bypass places like Germany and the Netherlands to get to the UK - it probably has something to do with the marketing image vs the reality.

If you live outside of the south east of England, it's just a horrible grim place. It's basically a cultural wasteland, where you can't even go out on a Saturday evening without some 50 year old alcoholic vomiting on you.
Probably because they are afraid of the Language Barieer, specially in Germany, or arent aware that virtually everybody speaks good english in the Netherlands. Still the British as people are more popular, and supposedly easier to socialize and make fun it, while Germanics (GErmans, Dutch, Scandinavians) tend to be more closed and within their own group, and also more practical to the point of being boring, specially for people from southern cultures.. yes even the Dutch who have the fame of being open and liberal.. but still they dont want to mess with you as a foreigner.. and neither they welcome spontaneous nonsense and small talks in the way the British do.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
From my experience. I would rather live in London than in Paris. But overall France >> England everywhere else
I can't really say anything about Britain. So far only been in England and Ireland.
First time being in England the housing really shocked me. majority of houses are very small, cheap in quality, small yard. Overall very depressing. Houses in Eastern Europe have better quality.
Food was also very 'american'. What I liked was the pub culture, festivals, sports culture around Manchester and London. For vacation England is fine. I guess Scotland even better. But living never ever.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably because they are afraid of the Language Barieer, specially in Germany, or arent aware that virtually everybody speaks good english in the Netherlands. Still the British as people are more popular
I believe you are making it sound more complicated than it is
To understand the emigration flows it is enough to follow the money. Wherever it is currently easier to get refugee status and social welfare, there you will get the bulk of people going to

·
Registered
26,177 Posts
I have always struggled with the food on vacation. No bakeries, no real bread available in shops. So on vacation when living in a hotel, I was forced to change my diet drastically.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Can I butt in even though I'm not from Europe? If I was given an option to live in Europe, I'd select the country with the best welfare system.(I think the Netherlands have the best from what I've read).

I think people should work if they really want to work not because they have to pay the bills.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Can I butt in even though I'm not from Europe? If I was given an option to live in Europe, I'd select the country with the best welfare system.(I think the Netherlands have the best from what I've read).

I think people should work if they really want to work not because they have to pay the bills.
So, if you don't work, who should feed you and pay your bills?

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
So, if you don't work, who should feed you and pay your bills?
The state should. Basic human needs like food, water, shelter, healthcare should be the state's responsibility.

Tell my why do only the people who inherit money get to choose if they want to work or not? What have they done to deserve this massive freedom?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts