Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
3,345 Posts
He's surely up there consistency-wise but he got trounced by his own generation at the latter end of slams this year, so hard to put him ahead of Stef, Zverev or Med not to mention Thiem who won a slam.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rubles is definitely up there. He has maximized the limited 2020 schedule very nicely. Let's see how he does in St. Pete and Bercy.

On a side note, the MTF criticism would be funny if it wasn't so dumb. Let's give the kid a chance before we plan his tennis eulogy!

·
Your visions will happen
48,559 Posts
#4 in 2020 points so #4

·
Registered
176 Posts
Truth is he'll always be too one-dimensional to be a consistent TOP5 player (he might be a TOP10 though). I can see him making a lot of R4-s/ QF-s and occasionally SF-s at slams but not better than that.
I was just going to say the same exact thing!

Yep, Rublev is a one-dimensional player and thus he has no plan B. If he's losing his only option is to try to play better. He doesn't ever appear to think or switch tactics. He just whacks the ball harder.
On the other hand, Tsitsipas has so much more variety and you can see him thinking through a match. He's not the smartest player yet but at least the potential is there and he has the ability to switch tactics mid-match. Haven't seen that from Rublev.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The onIy “shocking” winner in last few years being Dimitrov but when your SF & finaI opponents r Sock & Goffin, not so shocking. Unusually aberrant season.
Sasha was seen as shock despite his masters wins as he had to go through Fed and Nole to win title.Think he might've been close to going out in Round Robin aswell.

·
Registered
793 Posts
People shouldn't be writing off the OP so quickly here. Rublev is 3rd only behind Djokovic and Nadal in points won percentage this year (54%): Tennis Abstract: ATP Match Results, Splits, and Analysis

Maybe he hasn't won the big matches yet, but he's been consistently playing at a top 5 level and will likely breakthrough there soon.
Well, the natural conclusion from checking out the point won percentage is probably that this statistic is not always an accurate proxy for the level of a player, at least not after a limited season. In Rublev's case, he started the year with two tournament wins in Doha and Adelaide. He played well, no doubt, but did not beat a single top 20 player in those tournamnents. The first top 10 player Rublev met in 2020 was Zverev, who ended Rublev's 11 match win streak with a convincing 3-0 win (6-4, 6-4, 6-4).

If one goes through Rublev's year, one finds that the key to his good point win percentage is several convincing victories over lowly ranked players. He has had a good year and is a good player, don't get me wrong, but no way he is much better than what his current ranking indicates.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Rublev himself said he's not sure he deserves to be in top 10. I think he's 8-12 range. It's very difficult to be solid top 10 player.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Well, the natural conclusion from checking out the point won percentage is probably that this statistic is not always an accurate proxy for the level of a player, at least not after a limited season. In Rublev's case, he started the year with two tournament wins in Doha and Adelaide. He played well, no doubt, but did not beat a single top 20 player in those tournamnents. The first top 10 player Rublev met in 2020 was Zverev, who ended Rublev's 11 match win streak with a convincing 3-0 win (6-4, 6-4, 6-4).

If one goes through Rublev's year, one finds that the key to his good point win percentage is several convincing victories over lowly ranked players. He has had a good year and is a good player, don't get me wrong, but no way he is much better than what his current ranking indicates.
If you don't want to trust in points won percentage, his ELO has him 6th right now in the world and he's likely to pass Tsitsipas for 5th after this week: Tennis Abstract: ATP Elo Ratings

Dominance and consistency over lower ranked players is a huge part of being a top level player (it is something Shapovalov lacks for example). I think there's little question he's been playing at or near a top 5 level for some time now. His ATP ranking would also likely correspond with that had this been a regular season.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Rublev himself said he's not sure he deserves to be in top 10. I think he's 8-12 range. It's very difficult to be solid top 10 player.
Plenty of guys have got in top 10 with far less titles than Rubes has managed this year so I'd say he's fully deserving to make top 10 and London.

When you look at it Medvedev hasn't won a title this year and only made a SF in two events he's played but one of those was a slam so guess the perception is he's still on the right path while Rublev just getting to quarters isn't seen as much to be excited about.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you don't want to trust in points won percentage, his ELO has him 6th right now in the world and he's likely to pass Tsitsipas for 5th after this week: Tennis Abstract: ATP Elo Ratings

Dominance and consistency over lower ranked players is a huge part of being a top level player (it is something Shapovalov lacks for example). I think there's little question he's been playing at or near a top 5 level for some time now. His ATP ranking would also likely correspond with that had this been a regular season.
I agree that beating lowly ranked players is important. Apart from big three (and big four back in the day),most current top players have had a bit of trouble doing that consistently. So, yeah, Rublev deserves credit for (mostly) pulling it off.

With that said, I am not sure that alternative measures such as the ELO rating are super relevant. The problem with the ELO rating is that all matches are (more or less) equal. Taking one of my own favorites, Thiem, as an example, his first round loss against Krajinovic (2-6,1-6) in Cincinnati gets far too much weight according to ELO, in relation to the late round results in slams. I'm normally in favor of equality as much as the next guy, but in this situation I would say - not all matches are born equal.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bull. Absolute bull

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This talentless mug isn’t anywhere near that level. Just horrible to watch with an unbearable grunt. Makes offensive tennis look boring which is pretty hard to do.

·
Registered
16,774 Posts

Or not, since he likely would have suffered some more critical losses at the not held Masters and at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Let's see if he can qualify for ATP final. Then it'll be clearer. If he's indeed 3rd best, then he should make SF there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
He has the Serena syndrome. He grunts like his dog was in an accident and whacks almost everything. It’s too bad that the WTA isn’t accepting him on tour because he’d also be revered as the best player of all time, for beating 145 pound girls with wimpy games.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
He has the Serena syndrome. He grunts like his dog was in an accident and whacks almost everything. It’s too bad that the WTA isn’t accepting him on tour because he’d also be revered as the best player of all time, for beating 145 pound girls with wimpy games.
This is not even funny.

·
28,757 Posts
Not sure how many others made both QF

Only carreno and Djok maybe
Well and Thiem. If we look at all 3 grand slams that happened this year, Thiem actually won one, lost in the final of one and the QF of the other (after being a two time defending finalist)

Can you give me your argument for why Rublev is better than Thiem? (I'm guessing it is Thiem you are putting behind him, but if it is Nadal, I would like to see that argument as well)

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
He's definitely had a stellar season, very consistent and racking a couple of titles. I put him behind Thiem still but top 5 is probably feasible.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts