Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is A. Zverev officially a Slam contender from now on?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
He probably wouldn’t if the big 3 were a few years younger, but now he surely has a chance with the overall consistency he showed this tournament.

Reactions: azure

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
For the people who believed he had mental issues at Slams, he probably is. But for people like myself, who believe he failed because he is not good enough, a tournament where he reached the SFs with an average level because of an easy draw doesn't change anything reagarding his winning chances.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Of course he is, as are Thiem, Medvedev and Tsitisipas. Anyone else except these four or the big3 winning a slam would be a pretty big surprise this year, but let's see how things develop.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Voted yes. Big three, Medvedev, Thiem, and Tsitsipas are still stronger contenders, but Zverev cannot be overlooked from now on.

·
22,271 Posts
For the people who believed he had mental issues at Slams, he probably is. But for people like myself, who believe he failed because he is not good enough, a tournament where he reached the SFs with an average level because of an easy draw doesn't change anything reagarding his winning chances.
Wouldn’t say easy draw as per se, but mostly due to his insane serving. He had easier draws in slams before but still failed epically. But you’re right that his level was overall average. I’d say he made it only because he served insanely well. And that’s just a gamble. Not gonna work in the long run.

But really I’m not complaining, this was a great run considering the rock bottom he had in the ATP Cup, it’s a step forward and he didn’t get a beatdown and fought till the end. He may have not had the proper game but had the right attitude. He was mostly calm and tough till the end. Now he just needs to work on his game and use his weapons more effectively instead of pushing.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Yes, I think he know knows, that he is "able" to play Grand Slam tennis. There is so much pressure of his shoulders now, that he finally had a good deep run and I think he will win on this stage, maybe not this year, or next year, but one day it will happen!

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
he strikes me more as the berdych type. someone who can consistently go deep, might even make a final but there will , as there was today always be someone thats better in the end. and he is by far the most vulnerable of all "top players" to upsets early

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
he strikes me more as the berdych type. someone who can consistently go deep, might even make a final but there will , as there was today always be someone thats better in the end. and he is by far the most vulnerable of all "top players" to upsets early
This first bolded part is the opposite of the second bolded part, I agree with the second one.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It remains to be seen whether or not this was simply a one off tournament or not. He came into this tournament with absolutely zero pressure(he admitted he expected to not win a match). With this run, people will be paying attention to him again.

I mean look at Stef. Made a SF here last year and hasn't even been to a another QF since. It's just too early to say.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
He will definitely have it easier to vulture finals and even slams because he will probably play more relaxed.
Yet, unless he improves a couple of things and proves he can win at least one slam, he is not a "slam contender" in the way the big 5 are/were.

So no, he´s a SF and QF contender from now on

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i think he needs to improve some stuff first. Mentality and serve were good in this tourney, but his level of play misses the offense department to mix it up, until his fixes this, i have to say no..
but in the future at some point, he will win one for sure

Reactions: Cloren

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Having mental issues and not being good enough are not mutually exclusive. Depending on circumstances they can even be related.
Zverev doing much better when neither he himself nor the people around him expecting much. That's been proven numerous times. Whether not knowing how to use and take advantage of weapons you clearly have should be considered not being good enough is debatable.
To me, his biggest and most obvious problem is the lack of proper tactical and strategic guidance. His game as a whole has no sense of purpose. He's trying different things and none of them seems to click. Now his ground game regressed to aimless pushing and generating zero offense off the ground. Noticeably less than before. Which is quite an achievement. It can only "work" with opponent's self destructing and abnormally high FS%, that can't be sustained over time. Kind draws may also be needed. So no, in this current state he's not a contender. Doesn't mean he can't be if he receives the right help and learns more efficient patterns.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
793 Posts
I see him like that, he seems to have the weapons to challenge but seems to be a level below the top players but maybe this AO will give him the confidence to take his game to the next level.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts