Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ireland to 'decriminalise' small amounts of drugs, including heroin, cocaine and cannabis, for personal use | Europe | News | The Independent

Ireland will move towards decriminalising substances including heroin, cocaine and cannabis as part of a “radical cultural shift”, the country's drugs minister has said.

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, the chief of Ireland’s National Drugs Strategy, told a lecture at the London School of Economics on Monday that drug users will be able to inject in specially designated rooms in Dublin from next year.

The minister said attitudes to drugs needed to move away from shaming addicts to helping them and emphasised there was a difference between legalisation and decriminalisation.

It would remain a crime to profit – from either the sale or distribution of illegal drugs – but drug takers would no longer be criminalised for their addictions.

“I am firmly of the view that there needs to be a cultural shift in how we regard substance misuse if we are to break this cycle and make a serious attempt to tackle drug and alcohol addiction,” said Mr Ó Ríordáin.

His comments follow a leaked report from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, appearing to call for a worldwide decriminalisation on 19 October.

The report was reportedly withdrawn after at least one nation put pressure on the international body to bury the findings of Dr Monica Beg, chief of the HIV/AIDs section of the UNODC in Vienna.
Discussing plans to open ‘injection rooms’ Mr Ó Ríordáin said they would be “clinically controlled environments” that would aim to prevent already vulnerable individuals from exposing themselves to further risks.

He added: “Research has shown that the use of supervised injecting centres is associated with self-reported reductions in injecting risk behaviours.”

Following the opening of the Dublin clinic, the minster added he hoped similar rooms in Cork, Glaway and Limerick would also open.
Interesting idea. Wonder how it will work out. Thoughts? There needs to be a fine line between acceptance of drug use and its promotion. There should also there be intervention programs and counselling for addiction, side by side.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
How on earth has Johann Hari managed to recover his career after being exposed and disgraced as a plagiarist and fabricator of stories? Crazy. He was a laughing stock a few years ago and even had his Orwell Prize taken from him. He must have good connections.

It is ridiculous to criminalise supply but not demand. People who choose to take drugs are not victims. If the possession and use of these drugs is no longer a crime, selling it to people who want to use them should also be decriminalised. I highly doubt the Irish police made much of an effort to penalise drug users in the first place, but maybe I'm wrong; the police in Britain certainly don't, especially with cannabis.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Alright, honestly, what I think should happen is drug addicts should not be criminalized their first time, but immediately under law be sent to a rehabilitation center. There should be the two chances law here. They get two chances, and if they are still addicted to the drug by then they should be sent to jail. FYI, highly addictive drugs are really bad for people and the fact you wanna decriminalize drugs and make injection rooms for people isn't good either. (Because it gives off the notion that heroin is okay to do when it's not). The goal should be to help drug users get off the heavily addictive drug, not almost tell them it's okay to do heroin. Honestly, even marijuana shouldn't be legally allowed until 25 because the brain isn't fully developed until that age and heavy marijuana users who are under 25 will really mess it up. (Of course laws aren't gonna totally stop that but ideally if they were super effective against drugs that's what should happen) Drug users shouldn't be criminalized, but heavily addictive drugs should be.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Hosting injection rooms will decrease HIV and AIDS but it won't get rid of the addiction.

Reactions: redshift36188

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hosting injection rooms will decrease HIV and AIDS but it won't get rid of the addiction.
That's my principle concern. At the same time the idea of destigmatising the drug could have positive effects on getting people to think about their addiction and seek support

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
^ In Geneva, we've got the Quai 9, a building in the middle of the town, allowing people to use drugs in a clean environment and where there is prevention.

It's working fine. It's hard to decrease the consumption of drugs here, because Geneva is right in the middle of Europe and the drug traffic is huge because of its geolocalisation. But at least people who could be victims of drugs are not as exposed as they could have been in the past. I remember seeing syringes and stuff, while now you'd have a hard time finding those.

I agree with governments decriminalizing drugs. Studies have shown that a country that allows people to consume (relatively) freely will often have the opposite effect of the one we could expect: the general consumption will decrease, because part of the thrill of trying drugs for the first time lies in the fact of breaking the law.
But, as seen with the cases of Portugal or Geneva, the infrastructures and associations and general discourse need to back-up all of that and prevent people from using (hard) drugs.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Never happened bro

·
RAVE ON
18,677 Posts
In my experience, since Canada legalized pot, there is a lot less olfactory evidence of pot smoking on the street.
Perhaps that is just because more young people can smoke it in their condos without having to worry about being reported.
Or could it even be that less people are smoking, because the thrill of being a rebel and breaking the law is gone.
I made a little bit of profit off pot companies in the excitement before it became legal. But my broker was wise enough to sell the week before it became legal. Since then the shares of pot companies have been in decline.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Alright, honestly, what I think should happen is drug addicts should not be criminalized their first time, but immediately under law be sent to a rehabilitation center. There should be the two chances law here. They get two chances, and if they are still addicted to the drug by then they should be sent to jail. FYI, highly addictive drugs are really bad for people and the fact you wanna decriminalize drugs and make injection rooms for people isn't good either. (Because it gives off the notion that heroin is okay to do when it's not). The goal should be to help drug users get off the heavily addictive drug, not almost tell them it's okay to do heroin. Honestly, even marijuana shouldn't be legally allowed until 25 because the brain isn't fully developed until that age and heavy marijuana users who are under 25 will really mess it up. (Of course laws aren't gonna totally stop that but ideally if they were super effective against drugs that's what should happen) Drug users shouldn't be criminalized, but heavily addictive drugs should be.
U seem to b an expert on this topic so what do u think about decrim. LSD/Mescaline & hallucinogens?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts