Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennishead have an interesting interview with Professor Derek McMinn inventor of the hip procedure Murray recently underwent: https://tennishead.net/exclusive-interview-with-groundbreaking-professor-who-invented-andy-murrays-latest-hip-procedure/

From the article:

“What does all this mean for Sir Andy Murray and will he be able to return to competitive tennis?

Orthopaedic surgeons like to base their advice and opinions on scientific evidence (apart from death issues!). Orthopaedic surgeons would like a large number of male singles Grand Slam tennis champions who have had a hip resurfacing and then returned to the Tour. However, not even one male singles Grand Slam tennis champion has returned to the Tour after a hip resurfacing so orthopaedic surgeons cannot provide a definitive answer.

However, the average man or woman on the street armed with relevant information can give a clear answer. It is well known that patients with an arthritic hip have pain which gets worse with activity and can cause them sleepless nights. Sportspeople with an arthritic hip get fatigued and have great difficulty doing enough training between events, having to rest instead.

Those of us who watched Sir Andy in the fifth set of his match against Roberto Bautista Agut would say that he fatigued badly. They have some restriction of movement and if during a tennis match they move out of their relatively comfortable range of movement they often get a sharp jab of pain. It is well known that the BHR relieves pain, increases range of movement and allows normal patients and sportspeople to function normally.

Sir Andy Murray will have had an arthritic hip for several years and we have all seen him limp on court. Indeed, Murray has become a Grand Slam champion despite the restrictions of an arthritic hip.

How do you think Sir Andy will get on returning to tennis with a pain free hip, gradually becoming fatigue free and having little or no restrictions on his training time between events?

The man or woman in the street would confidently say that he will obviously return to competitive tennis and the likelihood is he will be even better than ever.”

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I would love for it to be true but i'm not gonna get my hopes up. Even if Murray gets back to competitive tennis he's not getting any younger and it's not that easy to return to the game after so much time out.

It is true though that he was dealing with hip issues for some time. He wasn't always walking awkwardly like that. Even before it became obvious his hip was screwed, I noticed he wasn't walking properly when I watched back his victory over Djokovic at ATP finals 2016. It was a spectacular year for him but the amount he pushed his body clearly destroyed his hip in the process.
So you could say, hey, he still managed to win so much with a dodgy hip, but even if he has better movement and less pain after the operation, that doesn't mean he will be at the level needed to win slams. Having said that, if anyone could do it, it would be him. He's got a habit of making comebacks and proving people wrong.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Unfortunately, after reading the interview with Professor Derek McMinn, I became less optimistic regarding Murray's chances of a successful comeback. The man seems like a used car salesman, to be fair a rather eccentric one, who tries just a bit too hard convincing everyone of his brilliance as the inventor of the technique. When he said that Murray likely will come back better than ever, the good professor lost much of his credibility. Though it would be great if it was true, I'm afraid the chances are slim. Hopefully, Murray can live a normal life free from pain. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The chances are between slim and none, and slim just left town.

Now seriously, this surgeon is a borderline criminal.

The hip will wear out very quickly if Murray returns to tennis: there will be metallic particles liberated by the metal on metal friction: that will poison nearby tissues then will travel through the whole body and destroy organs.

Advising players they will be able to resume pro sport with this prosthetic hip is sheer quackery. Murray doesn't know it, but he could have tried either autologus chondrocyte transplant, or cadaver bone-cartilage transplant, or growth hormone injections: he could have kept his natural cartilage and maybe, maybe could have returned for a season or two.

The surgeon gets paid ten times less, but the patient benefits.

Now it's all gone. Murray's headed for the wheelchair, if not to the morgue, thanks to this charlatan.

·
Your visions will happen
47,129 Posts
The chances are between slim and none, and slim just left town.

Now seriously, this surgeon is a borderline criminal.

The hip will wear out very quickly if Murray returns to tennis: there will be metallic particles liberated by the metal on metal friction: that will poison nearby tissues then will travel through the whole body and destroy organs.

Advising players they will be able to resume pro sport with this prosthetic hip is sheer quackery. Murray doesn't know it, but he could have tried either autologus chondrocyte transplant, or cadaver bone-cartilage transplant, or growth hormone injections: he could have kept his natural cartilage and maybe, maybe could have returned for a season or two.

The surgeon gets paid ten times less, but the patient benefits.

Now it's all gone. Murray's headed for the wheelchair, if not to the morgue, thanks to this charlatan.
While I do share your concern and pessimism for Andy, I do not share such a doomsday scenario

I did feel like Del Potro's wrist surgeon was a bit of a crock with some of his statements and how long Juan Martin was out for, but in the end, Delpo got himself back into the top 10 or close to it, so maybe Murray can do the same? Sure it is a hip and not a wrist and no there was no metal on metal grinding that can cause problems to the tissues around it (biggest issue with the procedure imo), but anything can still happen. Bob Bryan had the surgery and he is 10 years older, ok he is doubles but still. Maybe Murray can come back and compete for a little bit if possible but really, I just want to see him have a healthy life outside the tennis court

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm some of the posts above seem to be a bit hysterical. I don’t see any reason to think McMinn is some sort of quack.

·
Registered
513 Posts
but in the end, Delpo got himself back into the top 10 or close to it, so maybe Murray can do the same? Sure it is a hip and not a wrist and no there was no metal on metal grinding that can cause problems to the tissues around it (biggest issue with the procedure imo),
Top 10 ?

Lol.

The metallic particles problem is precisely the reason this kind of prosthetic hip was banned in most countries. Surgeons are in accord over this dangerosity factor and follow yearly those with this kind of hip.

How long do you reckon Murray will last on his comeback trail?

I say 5 months.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This is the first time for slam winner to have hip replaced... so only time can tell... no definitive answer for this one... so let's not pretend we know the answer... is his return become successful we gonna see more surgery like this in tennis...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Didn't Bob Bryan recover from a hip resurface and kept on promoting it to Murray?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only part of his hip has been replaced. With regards to the operation, l’m sure his team did their research. Some of you seem to have some valid points regarding the metallic part of the prothèse. But this has been tested out so l presume it should be fine. Having said that if l were in his shoes l would simply retire and focus on my health. Being a fan of Federer l know that’s what he would have done. Players need to listen to their bodies and stop when they feel that not all is right.

·
Registered
878 Posts
He did 'promote' it to Murray but Bob Bryan you wouldn't say he's 'playing better than ever' after the procedure since his return to the court.
It's hard to say on a 40 year old in doubles though. Someone who's only 31 like Murray in singles is something we'll definitely be able to measure more on but I don't think he'll be playing better than ever because of a hip surgery lol.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think this is a bit overstated. As I understand it, the implanted hip joint is lubricated by the bodies synovial fluid to make a friction-free movement. I think to some degree the efficacy of the joint depends on the quality/viscosity of the the fluid produced....I don't know if that is down to luck or condition etc. While it is true that these joints can release metal particles when breaking down, I am under the impression that they collect in local tissue and promote inflammation, highlighting the decline and allowing it to be addressed. In any event, one would think someone with Murray's available resources would be monitored forensically and advised to stop if any issue presented.

I was surprised that he opted so quickly to go down the metal joint route. The success and better outlook for performance athletes coming from ceramic joints seems very interesting indeed....I can only figure that it's not available outwith trial programs at present.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts