Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found in Internet:
Interesting Questions, Facts, and Information

Whom did Agassi defeat to win the 1995 Australian Open for the first time?

Pete Sampras. This was the Grand Slam in which Agassi & Sampras showed their true class, and this is the only time Agassi beat Sampras in a Grand Slam final.

Who was Andre's girlfriend when he won Wimbledon in 1992?

Wendy Stewart. He is now with Steffi Graf.

Who was Agassi's coach in March 2001?

Brad Gilbert. He's been his coach for a number of years now.

Who did Andre beat to win his first U.S.Open title in 1994?

Michael Stich. Andre beat Stich 6-1, 7-6, 7-5.

Who did Agassi beat to win the French Open in 1999?

Medvedev. Agassi came back from two sets down to win the match.

Who did Agassi beat to win his second U.S. Open final in 1999?

Todd Martin. He beat Martin 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2. He dropped only 2 sets before this match.

Who did Agassi beat to claim his one and only Wimbledon title (as at March 2001)?

Ivanisevic. In 5 thrilling sets - upon winning Agassi lay on the ground in disbelief.

Which famous film actress did Agassi marry in 1997?

Brooke Shields. But their's was a troubled marriage and they were to get divorced soon after.

Which country is Andre's father originally from?

Iran. But he is of Armenian descent.

What is Andre's brother's name?

Phil. Sometimes a spectator at Andre's matches.

The 1992 Wimbledon final was not his first Grand Slam final?

He played in the finals of the French Open, where he lost to Jim Courier twice.

Supposedly, how tall is Andre?

5ft 11in. Not especially tall for today's standards.

In which year was Andre Agassi born?

1970. He was born on April 29th, 1970.

In which order did Agassi win the Grand Slam tournaments?

Wimbledon, U.S., Australian, French. He finally won the French in 1999, thus completing the set.

In how many sets did Agassi beat Andrei Medvedev to win the French Open in 1999?

5. In a memorable match Agassi came back to win from two sets to love, down to win the title and with it he completed a Slam 1-6, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4.

How old was Agassi when he won his first Grand Slam title?

22. This was at Wimbledon, in 1992.

How old was Agassi when he first played the senior event at Wimbledon?

17. He lost to Henri Leconte (in 1987), and didn't play at Wimbledon again until 1991.

At what age did Agassi play his first Wimbledon?

17. He played Wimbledon for the 1st time in 1987, but he didn't play there again till 1991, as he was bored at playing there.

Agassi beat Boris Becker on his way to the Wimbledon final?

Yes. He beat Becker in a highly entertaining match where the score read 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, 4-6, and 6-3, in the favour of Agassi.

can be continued...
-----------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions about Andre Agassi:

Which famous tennis player married Andre Agassi's sister? ( goto )

Agassi's oldest sister, Rita, married two-time U.S. Nationals champion Pancho Gonzales.

Did Jimmy Connors ever play Andre Agassi in a Grand Slam tournament? ( goto )

Agassi met Connors twice in the quarter finals of the US Open.

Agassi won both.

6-2 7-6 6-1 in 1988
6-1 4-6 0-6 6-3 6-4 in 1989

Incidetally in 1974 a 4 year old Agassi (YES that's FOUR YEARS OLD!) played tennis with Jimmy Connors at the Alan King/Caesars Palace Tennis Classic.

Connors makes a prophetic statement after rallying with the young prodigy for 20 minutes: "I'm going to retire when this kid grows up and beats me."

Who is the brand ambassador for Aramis' new range of perfumes employing the ad byline "Life, it's a great game" - Serena Williams, Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, or Viswanathan Anand?

Andre Agassi.

Andre Agassi and Goran Ivanisevic are two former Wimbledon champions to take a wild card into the Queen's Club 25th Anniversary event. Who was the third one: Carlos Moya, Andy Roddick, Pete Sampras, or Richard Krajicek?
Richard Krajicek.....

Andre Agassi accepted a wild card entry into the 25th anniversary Stella Artois Championship at Queen's Club. Agassi joined Goran Ivanisevic and Richard Krajicek who also accepted invitations to take part.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Andre Kirk Agassi , 1970-, American tennis player, b. Las Vegas, Nev. Trained by his Armenian immigrant father, he turned professional in 1986. By 1988 he had won a half dozen major tournaments, but until 1992 at Wimbledon had not won a "grand slam" event, and had acquired a reputation for failing in crucial matches. The Wimbledon victory and those at the U.S. (1994) and Australian (1995) opens vaulted him to the front; he won the gold medal at the 1996 Olympics, and engaged in a much publicized competition with Pete Sampras for top world ranking. Using speed and agility more than power, Agassi became immensely popular, as much for his sometimes whimsical demeanor as for his winning record. He again won the French and U.S. opens in 1999 and Australian open in 2000, 2001, and 2003, and won 60 singles titles during his career. Agassi, who retired in 2006, is married to Steffi Graf .

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't have a previous question to post (although, I'm sure that I can find a quote or two that is fun -- so I'll do that later), but in the meantime, I was looking for a thread to ask a question or two of my own.

First, is there a specific reason that Andre has stated for at times shaving/waxing nearly all of his body hair? I read some gossip that getting rid of his chest hair was suggested by Streisand (don't know how reliable that rumor is -- and I also think it a terrible idea -- Andre's hairy chest was super sexy). But what about his arms and legs?! I don't get that.

When did Andre stop wearing his earring? I've started to notice in recent photos that it's no longer there.

I seem to remember a photo or two with Andre wearing a wedding ring (and other rings -- maybe a pinky ring) when married to Brooke, but he said that he did not wear one with Stef because it bothered him when playing his two handed back hand. Other than the promo photo for Aramis with Andre wearing a ring in his second marriage, are there any others?

Also, there is an interview with Andre talking about his being a soundboard sometimes for Monica Seles. I thought I had it saved, but can't find it. Anyone know which article -- and can you share it or PM me the info (I believe it was from the late 90's -- but not sure)?

During which years was Tami Agassi a student at IMG Bradenton with Andre?

Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't have a previous question to post (although, I'm sure that I can find a quote or two that is fun -- so I'll do that later), but in the meantime, I was looking for a thread to ask a question or two of my own.

First, is there a specific reason that Andre has stated for at times shaving/waxing nearly all of his body hair? I read some gossip that getting rid of his chest hair was suggested by Streisand (don't know how reliable that rumor is -- and I also think it a terrible idea -- Andre's hairy chest was super sexy). But what about his arms and legs?! I don't get that.

When did Andre stop wearing his earring? I've started to notice in recent photos that it's no longer there.

I seem to remember a photo or two with Andre wearing a wedding ring (and other rings -- maybe a pinky ring) when married to Brooke, but he said that he did not wear one with Stef because it bothered him when playing his two handed back hand. Other than the promo photo for Aramis with Andre wearing a ring in his second marriage, are there any others?

Also, there is an interview with Andre talking about his being a soundboard sometimes for Monica Seles. I thought I had it saved, but can't find it. Anyone know which article -- and can you share it or PM me the info (I believe it was from the late 90's -- but not sure)?

During which years was Tami Agassi a student at IMG Bradenton with Andre?

Thanks for any answers.
Hmm - don't know about the waxing...I remember him being asked about it at Wimbledon in '93 and he said (jokingly) that it made him more "aero-dynamic". That's all I've ever heard about it. Interestingly, in Mike Agassi's book he talks about being taught by his boxing coach to shave his armpits as a young boxer and that he still does it. Maybe Andre picked it up from him.

He stopped wearing the earring about 2003, right around the time Jaz was born. Maybe he thought it looked juvenile or something and now that he was a father of two it was time to move on....he hasn't taken off the necklace "Daddy Rocks" since Jaden made it for him.

I remember the Aramis ads with him wearing a wedding ring...I wonder if it was really his or just a "prop"? I do remember an interview where he said that he didn't wear it because it bothered him while playing, but it was "somewhere safe" and "anyway, everyone knows I'm married". In Europe it's not traditional for men to wear wedding rings, so maybe Stef doesn't mind that he doesnt wear one.

Never heard about the Monica thing...

In Mike Agassi's book, he indicates that they sent Tami to IMG around the last months that Andre was there - unlike her brother, she loved it.

One more little tidbit: Andre's afraid of spiders. And gets seasick.

Also, if you want to learn a lot more personal things about the Agassis' read Mike Agassi's book - he has lots of antedotes in it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
He stopped wearing the earring about 2003 but he wear the earring again in 2004 and during 2005, till the first round in the US Open 2005 in which i think he played versus Sabau. Sorry for my English.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The Trinity Pendant was originally designed as a religious piece for Kelli Bollittieri.
Kelli is the wife of the man who is arguably the most famous tennis instructor in the world.
Nick Bollettieri, founder of the Bollettieri Academy. Kelli has a deep Christian faith,
and asked me to design a piece that symbolized her belief in Pure Eternal Love for the
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. She prized the trinity pendant, and soon asked me to make
a matching piece as a gift for Andre Agassi, which he wore for many years. The original
Trinity pendant and earrings continue to be powerful Christian jewelry.

My relationship with the Trinity has evolved. Today, the Trinity pendant has become a
symbol of my strong belief in a wholistic health lifestyle. The triangle inside the
rings represents the interplay of Mind, Body, and Spirit. That connection, and it's
relationship with Holy Trinity of the Christian faith, are what gives the Trinity
it's power.

Tennis Magazine Article on Andre and the Trinity Pendant

The meaning of Precious Mettle

In the 1990's Andre Agassi often wore a piece I designed as he made a
dramatic ascendance in the rankings, to number 1, winning majors and
becoming the most inspirational tennis player in the world. The story
behind the Trinity Pendant and Andre's success while wearing it is a
tale of mettle. Andre demonstrated his mettle publicly in his amazing
late-career success.

I selected “Precious Mettle” as my company name because:
As a goldsmith and jeweler, I work with, respect, and value precious
metal.
My Mettle (honor, integrity, honesty, sincerity) has always been very
precious to me.
Life's challanges have recently made me acutely aware of how much my
mettle means to me. As a young man I wore my mettle like a badge... or
a shield. My mettle made me strong and decisive. It gave me the courage
to face adversity and constantly seek new ways to use my gifts.
My mettle kept me on the right path. For more biographical information,
please continue to Nick's Biography.

I believe each of us has our precious mettle tested at various points in lives.
The power of the sacred trinity of Mind, Body, Spirit keep us true to purpose,
and maintains our precious mettle. My jewelry is designed to be a touchstone and
witness, helping to remind us of the power of the Mind Body Spririt connection
throughout the day, especially when our mettle is tested.

Precious Mettle Jewelry from Nicholas Zimmer

The Trinity Pendant

The Trinity Pendant that Andre wore is now available to the public. Each piece
is hand made. I am happy to discuss custom features or color options. Trinity
Options and Pricing
Mind Body Spirit Tennis

I currently offer tennis instruction in the Sierra Foothills, near Sacramento,
California. My instruction philosophy is geared toward training the mind, and
utilizing the entire body to improve tennis performance. My techniques involve
utilizing "core" body musculature to increase shot velocity while improving
accuracy.

Group and individual lessons are available for all skill levels. Seminars and
group lessons can be conducted at your facility. More information on tennis
instruction.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks so much Stephan, for the "Trinity Pendant" info.

I've been reading the book, Agassi and the Ecstasy. It's really interesting in that the author interviewed both Wendi Stewart and Rita extensively. They have some interesting insights. Wendi says that SHE is the one who broke up with Andre in order to go back to school and leave Las Vegas. Which I found interesting in that years later Rita made it sound like she left out of frustration of not being proposed too.

Mike back then said that they were working on a "book," which is why he only gave snippets of interviews for the book. The interesting thing is that I have read Mike's book, but reading it, it seems that SOOOO much of it is quoted from old articles not interviews. Surprising.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much Stephan, for the "Trinity Pendant" info.

I've been reading the book, Agassi and the Ecstasy. It's really interesting in that the author interviewed both Wendi Stewart and Rita extensively. They have some interesting insights. Wendi says that SHE is the one who broke up with Andre in order to go back to school and leave Las Vegas. Which I found interesting in that years later Rita made it sound like she left out of frustration of not being proposed too.

Mike back then said that they were working on a "book," which is why he only gave snippets of interviews for the book. The interesting thing is that I have read Mike's book, but reading it, it seems that SOOOO much of it is quoted from old articles not interviews. Surprising.
Hi :wavey:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts