Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw this on wikipedia. 18 consecutive finals where eithere Murphy or Nadull were part of them (12 for Rafael, 6 for Andrew), of course they never played against each other. And I was wondering why I haven't enjoy a GS final for such a long time.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
18 finals. This was posted in the WWW thread as well. It's not a record of course, but still impressive. (Federer and Tsonga have 19 consecutive finals with one of them appearing, but never both)

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Wow.

That is insane.

Inpart it's to do with the fact that Federer and Djokovic haven't been seeded 1 and 2 at many slams before. Even when they were, Federer would generally always run into Nadal come the semi's. Who's severe match-up advantage, bla bla bla.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
True. Djokovic vs Federer never failed to amuse, even when both are playing crap.
They have played some absolute stinkers in the last few years. It just shows the standard of which some people expect when they think these matches have been good.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

This one reeks. *covers nose*

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Most entertaining grass-court match I've seen in a while. Most grass-court Wimbledon encounters don't produce these quality of rallies, they're gripping and dramatic but never produce these rallies.

I honestly, genuinely have no idea where you are coming from here burrow.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
2012 RG, 2014 IW, 2009 Miami, 2010 Shanghai and 2012 Rome were low quality matches.
...and that's why I specifically asked Burrow for the 'slam' ones.

You named one slam match there. :lol:

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
2011 Australian Open is the one I dislike the most. Federer's movement to his forehand side off barely attacking balls was incredibly poor, so much that it's all I noticed at the beginning of the match. Then came the powderpuff, mid-court topspin backhands Federer insisted on playing, of which Djokovic routinely and unremarkable performed the aforementioned into his forehand side. Just a rubbish match, when we'd previously been used to watching Federer perform at a very high level, a level maybe unseen in years past at the Australian Open.

2012 Roland Garros was just pitiful. Not even worth mentioning.

Their two US Open matches in 2011 and 2010 were entertaining, unlike the previous two I've mentioned, but it was the usual error ridden sprees Federer couldn't subside that cost him both. Their 2007 US Open final was a big disappointment, considering that Djokovic had played at a high level on hardcourts in the 2007 season, he had his chances to make that one a good tussle, but bottled it. I wouldn't call these US Open matches stinkers, because they had good entertainment value, even if the quality was often poor.

Most of their stinkers have occurred in Masters Series events.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
2011 Australian Open is the one I dislike the most. Federer's movement to his forehand side off barely attacking balls was incredibly poor, so much that it's all I noticed at the beginning of the match. Then came the powderpuff, mid-court topspin backhands Federer insisted on playing, of which Djokovic routinely and unremarkable performed the aforementioned into his forehand side. Just a rubbish match, when we'd previously been used to watching Federer perform at a very high level, a level maybe unseen in years past at the Australian Open.

2012 Roland Garros was just pitiful. Not even worth mentioning.

Their two US Open matches in 2011 and 2010 were entertaining, unlike the previous two I've mentioned, but it was the usual error ridden sprees Federer couldn't subside that cost him both. Their 2007 US Open final was a big disappointment, considering that Djokovic had played at a high level on hardcourts in the 2007 season, he had his chances to make that one a good tussle, but bottled it. I wouldn't call these US Open matches stinkers, because they had good entertainment value, even if the quality was often poor.
Take and agree (To an extent) with your points on Federer being unable to keep his unforced forced error level down. They do make some of his matches dry. Puts a big taint on those matches.

Yeah, the US Open encounters were well worthy of a rewatch. Federer tends to match Novak more on the slicker courts it seems, which make for better matches. Which is why I reckon this Wimbledon encounter holds much promise.

Most of their stinkers have occurred in Masters Series events.
Which is why I was a little baffled you said that :lol: coz not many of their grand-slam encounters have been undesirable on the eye.

Most masters series events are slow hard-courts, so Djokovic is always going to be able to find the Federer backhand eventually and make them spray error-fests. IMO.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Wow.

That is insane.

Inpart it's to do with the fact that Federer and Djokovic haven't been seeded 1 and 2 at many slams before. Even when they were, Federer would generally always run into Nadal come the semi's. Who's severe match-up advantage, bla bla bla.
Not exactly, Federer would generally always run into Djokovic at HC slams, because they were always in the same half there, and Djokovic would generally always run into Nadal at RG come QF or SF.

That's the reason why Federer-Djokovic Wim 2014 is just their second GS final, first being USO 2007, almost seven years ago!

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Generally, most of Djokovic's matches are dull unless the opponent is good enough to hit 3-5 winners in a rally. lol

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Federer would generally always run into Djokovic at HC slams, because they were always in the same half there, and Djokovic would generally always run into Nadal at RG come QF or SF.
Yeah, whatever the case. It's crazy they haven't met in a slam final for quite some time and a shame.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Enjoy it while you can, because Nadal is making the next 3 slam finals (and will likely win all 3 of them) putting him at 17 slams. Then from there on he just needs to win his yearly Roland Garros slam and he'll be at 20+.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
^:haha: Wolly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts