Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing piece of statistics I stumbled upon. The two Open Era male players with the highest win rate are Nadal with 83.24% (998-201), and Djokovic with 83.18% (930-188). Whoever wins the French Open will also hold this record - if Nadal wins he'll have 83.25% to Djokovic's 83.11%, and if Djokovic wins he'll have 83.20% to Nadal's 83.17%.

Insane to think that even after such extensive careers, they are still so closely tied in Career W/L statistic. May the best man win!

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
They are very close in so many regards, so here is yet another.
Huge stakes on this final!! maybe the biggest Djokal ever for stakes????

·
Registered
258 Posts
Amazing piece of statistics I stumbled upon. The two Open Era male players with the highest win rate are Nadal with 83.24% (998-201), and Djokovic with 83.18% (930-188). Whoever wins the French Open will also hold this record - if Nadal wins he'll have 83.25% to Djokovic's 83.11%, and if Djokovic wins he'll have 83.20% to Nadal's 83.17%.

Insane to think that even after such extensive careers, they are still so closely tied in Career W/L statistic. May the best man win!
Fantastic stat. Extremely symbolic of the two men and their careers.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

... Nadal has had that stat protected due to the shitload of hardcourt events in the last 18 months or so he either withdrew from before the tournament or during which prevented him from more losses.By doing so and then playing even more than a chunk of matches on clay it buttressed his stats more than ever.

·
Registered
258 Posts
... Nadal has had that stat protected due to the shitload of hardcourt events in the last 18 months or so he either withdrew from before the tournament or during which prevented him from more losses.By doing so and then playing even more than a chunk of matches on clay it buttressed his stats more than ever.
Oh yes it's so unimpressive that he is 438-40 on clay. In fact it diminishes his greatness. If he wins 100 claycourt matches in a row and gets to 538-40, then he is an even shittier player.

·
Registered
472 Posts
W-L ratio, particularly so close such as this one, and despite being yet another number tards can brag about, is not meaningful much.

Difference in opponent strengths (players average and absolute ATP rank, ELO ratings) and tournaments (GS, Masters, ATP 250-500) should be weighted in to make it more meaningful.

As I was discussing this in a topic from few weeks ago, this is so close, difference being few matches only (or, when numbers weirdly align in terms of decimals and %). Now, a player can go and play ATP 250-500 and easily surpass it, if they like.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Wow, kudos to the OP for realizing this fact.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, kudos to the OP for realizing this fact.
Stumbled upon this on the webs, did not do the research myself. Just thought it would be an interesting fact for people here. A bit of a counterpoint thread to all the gazillion Rafa/Nole-tard prediction threads.

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
Registered
857 Posts
I only partly agree with the OP. There are close, but Novak faced much harder opposition in his life. Something like 50 more matches against TOP 10 opponents which is insane. Also against Top 20, top 30 etc. I think Novak played more matches. But win/loss ration is close, that is true.
One can point out that Rafa racked up more wins against Peak Roger, the man that the world had already hailed as GOAT. Your argument is quite stupid. Rankings are not always reflective of the player quality in that particular tournament as we have witnessed again and again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One can point out that Rafa racked up more wins against Peak Roger, the man that the world had already hailed as GOAT. Your argument is quite stupid. Rankings are not always reflective of the player quality in that particular tournament as we have witnessed again and again.
My argument is not stupid lets be real here. Ranking is not always reflective, but if you have such a big sample that it is. Also Novak played more matches against Roger then Rafael, so again, you have no point. For example, Nadal is protecting his win/loss ratio by not playing so many WTF tournaments in which he would not have 80+ winning percentage for sure.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The WTF is a tournament full of tricks and traps, and you had better not show up if you are not sure of your move, because the 0 W - 3 L watches for lost sheeps :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
My argument is not stupid lets be real here. Ranking is not always reflective, but if you have such a big sample that it is. Also Novak played more matches against Roger then Rafael, so again, you have no point. For example, Nadal is protecting his win/loss ratio by not playing so many WTF tournaments in which he would not have 80+ winning percentage for sure.
What exactly was Novak's win ratio against Roger in the last decade????

Can you please post career Top 10/5 wins for both before making any argument? Rafa has played more than 600 matches off clay. He has a glorious record in the American summer series, rivalling that of Djokovic. WTF contributes a measly 3-5 matches per year. Your observations are ridiculous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts