Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2584389.stm

Sweden's Thomas Johansson is unsure whether he will be able to defend his Australian Open title in January next year as he is struggling with a knee injury.
"The plan is for me to play, but it's not 100% certain," Johansson said on Tuesday.

"Often the problems come after the match, the knee feels completely stiff."

The 28-year-old has suffered with the injury for the last six months and has not trained since replacing Andre Agassi in the Shanghai Masters in November.

Johansson has already missed the US Open this year because of a shoulder problem.

"The doctors think there is a connection between the injuries," admitted Johansson.

"Since I'm short I use my legs a lot in the serve and when the knee got bad I had to put more power into the shoulder movement."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stupid question, I know but forgive me please:

If he misses AO because of an injury, does he still lose all the points he earned last year in AO?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
knee problems are evil! And he has a screwed shoulder too! that is probably the second evil one! :sad:

Bad bad luck. I hope he can play, but only if he CAN! No pushing with those things, or he can get in real trouble. *remembering Mark P*

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
yeah he's not the first slam winner to not defend, but it would have been nice if he made a good showing and helped erase the perception that this win was just a fluke bec Marat left his head home that day. as it is...:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
His win was a fluke i mean Jiri Novak even made the semis that how bad the tournament was depleted. But still its good to have defending champion there and hopfeully he gets well.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Jiri has had a fantastic year (2002) and made it all the way to Shanghai. that was no fluke.

of course Thomas was in Shanghai too but i think you get my point...;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Injuries of any kind sucks, get well soon Thomas!

And I hope no more injuries from those players whose going to join the Australian Open, so we could all enjoy well-played matches and no retirements please! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thomas :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts