Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David Ferrer, John Isner and Gael Monfils have all pulled out of the tournament in Auckland. The top-seeded Ferrer won the Qatar Open final on Saturday over Tomas Berdych, but then on Sunday he withdrew with a back injury. The defending champion, Isner, and Monfils also withdrew late.

Isner played at the Hopman Cup, and reached the final with Serena Williams. He withdrew from Auckland saying he was tired. Monfils, who withdrew for personal reasons, is already in Melbourne practicing. Aukland tournament director Karl Budge said that Ferrer would have come if he was heathy, "He doesn't have a record of pulling out of events and he wouldn't be doing so if it wasn't absolutely necessary this time around," Budge said.

World No. 13 Ernests Gulbis is the top seed, followed by Roberto Bautista Agut.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/01/ferrer-isner-and-monfils-out-auckland/53593/#.VLLLOsZGNxs

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Maybe Gulbis will win the title. He did beat Rogie in the 4th round of the 2014 FO, Berdych in the QF, and took Djokovic to 4 sets, but lost in the SF.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
yeah obviously at 31 or whatever Ferrer wouldn't risk playing back to back tournaments (after winning one) prior to the Australian Open. not as spry as he once was

also I think for him mentally it isn't worth the risk of losing. Ferrer had a rough year mentally last season, so he needs all the positive vibes he can get. coming into the Australian Open (where he has done well before, SF's) with confidence is exactly what he needs and has now

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
thought he would win the title...

·
MONSOON season.
82,717 Posts
Big blow to the tournament with two (possibly three, with Monfils) of these withdrawals being bullshit. Not that I wouldn't have done the same in both Ferrer and Isner's cases though.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Let's not get ahead of ourselves; it is possible that Ferrer really is worried about something injury-specific getting exacerbated.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
He probably thought he had no chance in doha when he signed up for this. That's the self-confident ferrer i know.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Auckland and Sydney both have this unlucky ,,calendar position,, just like S-hertogenbosch and Eastbourne, no top player is going to play 1 week before slam, unless he wants to take fat cheque for showing up and loose his 1st match there. Ferrer and Isner both are Auckland champions and both went as far as they could in Doha/Perth, Ferrer is not injured, he played great tournament and now is ,,inured,, yes, should have said personal reasons, but maybe he has multiple-year deal with Auckland and unless injured must play don´t know and about Isner, well last yer he went to Auckland and than lost to Klizan and was injured so from him i can understand it too, try to not overplay at the start of this season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts