Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that there should be an indoor carpet slam? I know that the masters final was on carpet for years, but it just isn't the same as a slam. It just seems right that the four slams represent each of the four surfaces of tennis. Of course, rebound ace is more of a mutant surface than a hardcourt, but since there seems to be fairly distinctive hardcourt, grass, carpet and clay "seasons", I think they should all be represented in the slams, especially now that the masters final rotates.

Also, does anyone know why the Aus. Open was moved? I think it makes a lot more sense to have it moved to the end of the year like it used to be. Even moving it back to a month or two later would be better, though the climate may be too harsh then. I think the French should be moved a couple months earlier, then have a real grass season finally, Wimbledon could be more in the beginning of June and the U.S. Open could be moved up a little bit and then have the Aus. Open at the end. Of course, this would be a little bit of a headache for the other tournaments. But most of the tournaments don't have to be cancelled, just be held at a different time (though I think some should be cancelled even with the way things are).

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The Australian Open was moved to January because when it was in December, a lot of players didn't bother comming (it was over their Christmas break)...and January also means that it's during school/university holidays, so more of us can watch it :)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It is not very good if the french open are earlier on the year, because of the weather conditions. In the spring we have a lot of windy, cloudy and rainy weather here in Europe
Claudine

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Yea I agree, I just don't get why there is a slam for every surface but two for hard and none for carpet?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Magnus's #1 Fan said:
Indoors? Too expenise for building!!

m!ssundaztooD, we have only two roof courts... it can fix in two weeks for all matches? No :rolleyes:
I know! I'm just thinking that Australia might be the best grand slam to have it indoors. not weather wise but it's the one that can be changed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.