Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
it would appear that your judgement for the rest of your MTF career will be considered questionable...

good luck
Hes the same guy that said Kafelnikov was better than Guga :facepalm:

Marinko :rocker2::sport:

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
I'm still going with the Matosevic upset over Del Po. Make it happen.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Matosevic will be destroyed by Del Potro, a similar player who does every single thing better than him. Today his serve stats aren't that impressive but he had chances in almost all of Bemelmans' service games throughout the match and broke 5 times in 8 service games. In the second set he got the break early, lost it ahead *3-1 but then he broke Bemelmans to love at 4-*3 to serve for it. He's been doing a really good job of raising his game when the stakes get high in sets/matches.

Matosevic had 40-0 that went to deuce in the final game. That type of choking will catch up to him against better players, but he continues beating up on these lower ranked guys and obviously his confidence is sky high right now.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Tennis will die when Mugtosevic finds a way to beat del Potro.

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
I hope Matosevic can somehow beat del Potro, but I don't think they play that alike at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Marinko will be destroyed by Delpo. He really hasn't beaten a decent player this year. If he beats Delpo somehow then im on the bandwagon.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
They do play alike. They're both not grinders, but also not ballbashers, sort of in-between, a blend of both styles. Del Potro looks for his forehand more to attack, that's the big difference, MM likes to attack with his backhand and uses the net more, so their patterns of play aren't necessarily similar. But from the baseline they have similar gamestyles.

·
Registered
61,186 Posts
My differences were that a) yeah, MM does use the net more but I also think that b) he uses many more topspin angles, more like Verdasco

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Matosevic has done all he came to do in this tournament: qualify and win a round. Anything more is a bonus. What a turnaround. He was 0-4 for the year (all levels) and since then he's gone 15-1! Fair to say I didn't see this coming from the 26 year old.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
My differences were that a) yeah, MM does use the net more but I also think that b) he uses many more topspin angles, more like Verdasco
Eh.........from all the times I've seen him, he hits his shots down the middle a lot. He hits hard down the middle, tries to create a short ball, and if he gets it he immediately attacks forward. Or, he'll go cross court and try to drive the opponent off the court with sharp, hard angles, not with topspin. And he'll either go for a winner/forced error doing that, or get a short ball and attack and finish the point off with the approach shot and volley if necessary.

I don't see him employing any other strategies, except for grinding when he's lacking confidence in his baseline shots.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Expected. Bemelmans is a dire tennis player (but then again, it seems that in Belgium, the women do all the heavy lifting in sports) so it's not in the least bit surprising that he lost. Still, he should be somewhat embarrassed so only win 5 games against Mugtosevic.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
MM has really beaten one in form, high level player, and that was Sela in their SF match at Delray. He won that match on guile, not tennis. He's taken advantage of the draws he's gotten and beaten who is in front of him, all you can ask. But as with what happened playing Anderson, he's going to get exposed when he plays someone on a level he's not truly on.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I would think he has a chance v del Po as He has a tendency to have a few upsets a year and i don,t see him ever returning to the top 5 !

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Could be in the top 10 once he does the IW/Miami double and then claims the Houston crown as a Wildcard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts