Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HH is heading towards Turin, but seriously - Karatsev was an ITF futures level. 31 UEs in 16 games, serve was nowhere to be seen, error after error.

Well done, Hubi

·
justice for all
19,596 Posts
Easier than I expected. San Diego loss avenged.

Not the best match of Aslan's career but very high level and clean performance from Hubert.

Onto the QF-s and one step closer to ATP Finals.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Brainless tennis and horrible serving by Aslan. Hubi did what he should do against such an opponent, serve well and keep ball in play.

Most probably Medvedev awaits in the quarterfinal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Poor performance from Karatsev. He was dictating the play but made too many unforced errors. Hurkacz didn't have to do much, but he was solid and served well. Karatsev has to find a way to improve his serve because it's just not good enough at the moment.

·
God loves a trier
5,498 Posts
If you win the toss, never EVER make HH serve first.

Like Federer at Wimbledon, that was the first of many UEs from Karatsev.

Hubi's serving was spectacularly good.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Karatsev is turning into quite an inconsistent player. Not even match to match, but also set to set.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
This was an anti-climax.. what a poor match from Karatsev. Serve non-existent but his ground game was spraying from every corner as well.

·
Premium Member
29,796 Posts
Even his attitude was terrible, he looked so fired up against Shapovalov and then this? It's almost as if he was injured/ill.
After he got broken in 2nd set, he hit a ball out of anger towards the back walls.
(didn't get a violation though)

·
justice for all
19,596 Posts
After he got broken in 2nd set, he hit a ball out of anger towards the back walls.
(didn't get a violation though)
Yep. This umpire is sort of a snowflake. I saw him numerous times let players get away with behaviours like this.

·
F***ing have it
17,939 Posts
MMM .. suspi weird

·
25,772 Posts
I thought the first 2 games were promising but suddenly Karatsev forgot to get the 1st serve in and that's it. Had many iffy serves, had around 20% first serves in on the 1st Set but only won around 40% of 2nd serve points. He looked pretty good in rallies at times but I do agree he was so inconsistent today. Hurkacz meanwhile served very well but I felt Karatsev didn't push enough especially in the 2nd serve return (although I guess a 78% 1st serve was kinda crazy). 2nd Set it seems Hurkacz was back to normal but while Karatsev upped his 1st serve %, it seemed very ineffective as he only won 48% of that, playing it seems like they're 2nd serves. Karatsev did break-back once but got broken back again which has been a worrying thing about him lately. Just lots of errors overall this match in what I think is Karatsev's worst match this year maybe except the Korda loss in Miami.

I so agree Karatsev needs to find much better serve consistency. His serve I felt is decent, but his percentages are typically low. Lots of DFs that seems to emerge when he's nervous too. He reminds me of Dolgopolov in that matter, very effective serves, but very low 1st serve percentage, making them vulnerable against anyone despite being able to compete with the best. Not sure if he should change his technique or not but it seems that consistency may be a reason he's stuck in Challengers for so long. For Hurkacz, just a solid match that matched his ranking in consistency. He really likes these American Masters and see if he can reach another Masters Final.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Karatsev is turning into quite an inconsistent player. Not even match to match, but also set to set.
Apart from AO, Dubai and Belgrade I, hasn't he been like this all year?
My recollection is that even in AO, Dubai and Belgrade, he was inconsistent not just set to set, but within sets.
His play falls for periods of time to the level that saw him in challengers.... if he goes an entire match without his play falling off he is very hard for anyone to beat, but is very, very rare his play does not fall off, and most matches with him are decided by the ratio of time he is 'on' vs 'off'.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
This is ok to me, I joy Hurkacz, the hate he gets is so ransom. as for KING well live by the the sword die by it as well, not a good show but still a BIG TIME PLAYER 😎 (y)

·
GOAT Predictor
3,749 Posts
My recollection is that even in AO, Dubai and Belgrade, he was inconsistent not just set to set, but within sets.
His play falls for periods of time to the level that saw him in challengers.... if he goes an entire match without his play falling off he is very hard for anyone to beat, but is very, very rare his play does not fall off, and most matches with him are decided by the ratio of time he is 'on' vs 'off'.
He was super great both times he played against Diego Schwartzman!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts