Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A thoroughly bizarre match. Nishioka served twice for the match and couldn't do it. At one point, Felix couldn't hold his serve for three serves in a row. He hit over 60 UE, double faulted continuously and just constantly played poorly. If it had been a top player, Felix would have lost quite easily I think. But, this too is a learning experience, and he also showed a lot of resiliency out there to keep fighting back over and over. But, I think Nishioka deserves the win.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
IW 3R: Y. Nishioka def. [WC] F. Auger-Aliassime, 6–7, 6–4, 7-6

What a match! :surprise:

Felix was 7-6 2-0, then Nishioka won that set and was 5-1 in the 3rd. Then Felix find a way to go to the tie break, was mini-break up 5*-4 and then lost the match.

Great week for both players.:sport:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Indian Wells R3: Nishioka d. Auger-Alliasime 6-7. 6-4.7-6

You'll be hard pressed to find a more given away match than this one.

FAA essentially had every point on his racket but when you refuse to be patient and go for broke every other shot you get the amount of UE's he committed. It's an absolute miracle the match lasted as long as it did.

FAA was up 5-3 in the TB and just like the story of the entire match, he threw it all away with impatient random UEs.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

Big learning step for Felix...he was looking good until the middle of set when he got broken for the first time in the match...from then onwards, he totally lost his composure...got broken 4 consecutive times...just started making wild errors...missing easy forehands, volleys, overheads, making DFs....he looked totally done...was down by 1-5 in 5th set...and then all of a sudden started mounting comeback. Nishioka's lack of ability to get free points on serve definitely did hurt him, struggled to close out the match twice. But managed to win the TB in the end...there were some really nice rallies in the TB.

Nishioka's defense frustrated Felix a lot, Nishioka was getting everything back, always making Felix to make that extra shot...doesn't help that Felix missed lot of smashes, overheads. Felix mainly needs to focus on 2 things - fixing that DF issue/2nd serve and not losing his composure while playing against good retrievers. He should be fine

·
Registered
690 Posts

You'll be hard pressed to find a more given away match than this one.

FAA essentially had every point on his racket but when you refuse to be patient and go for broke every other shot you get the amount of UE's he committed. It's an absolute miracle the match lasted as long as it did.

FAA was up 5-3 in the TB and just like the story of the entire match, he threw it all away with impatient random UEs.
Yes... still an impressive fight to come back when nothing seemed to work, and despite the lack of first serves. A lot to take away from this week, both in what he won and lost.

I was hoping to see the Félix of the last two matches, but even right from the start, I thought he could have gotten away instead of going to the TB. It's okay, he's still not consistent, but his level is getting higher and higher on average...

BTW could his name be spelled right in the title please?

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts

Bummer, I thought FAA would pull off the comeback after saving all those MPs

The thread title is driving me nuts though. What is this atrocity? Couldn't even get FAA's name right

Nishioka d. Auger-Alliasime 6-7. 6-4.7-6

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Despite losing the match, that near comeback toward the end must give FAA some confidence for the future. He tried to keep going even though he had lost his touch in the previous games. It would've been a totally different story, a highly negative one, if he had just bowed out easily by 1-6.

As for the several games where he couldn't hold to save his life, Nishioka is a very methodical solid returner, and manages to be where he is by doing that kind of stuff against big hitters on a semi-regular basis. Even veterans fall into that trap to make tons of errors, so it's only natural that happened to the young Canadian as well.

As for Nishioka, well, not entirely surprising since this will be his second R4 appearance at IW. And he was very, very very close to beating Stan last time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would love to know what Felix’s strategy was coming into this game. It seemed like the strategy was to blow the opponent off the court. This worked against Tsitsipas but not so well against a retriever like Nishioka. Where he probably could have done more was in attacking Nishioka’s serve. How the hell did Nishioka manage to hold serve so often with that slow, often short serve!?!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Nishioka had had the match at 5-1 in 3rd, and he got in that position by playing brave. Then he starts pushing and waiting for a mistake on match points, which brought Felix back in the match. Almost (should have), cost him the match.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Both players were constantly outclutching each other, I think FAA showed good fight spirit for her age, most younger players would have lost that 3d set with a breadstick Nishioka peaked defending from both sides and hitting hard and deep, I really expected so after he lost a couple of serves but he finally got that TB and was very close to winning if not for a couple of bad 1st serves

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
FAA will learn the hard way.

At least his hype will diminish on this board.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Massive props to Felix for miracoulsley coming back into the match from the brink of defeat, but at the end of the day he had no rights to win this match. Nishioka who's a bit more experienced should have easily won 6-1, but a small lack of concentration was all it took for him to almost lose.

Felix would be kicking himself for not winning the TB after being up 5-3, but imagine how Nishioka must have felt had he lost this match from 5-1 30-0 on his serve.

Sad for Felix but happy for Nishioka, and really hoping he can back up this win & make his 1st Master 1000 QF by beating a LL in the next round, which is a huge opportunity for him. He has a beautiful game and hits the ball extremely well!

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
I would love to know what Felix’s strategy was coming into this game. It seemed like the strategy was to blow the opponent off the court. This worked against Tsitsipas but not so well against a retriever like Nishioka. Where he probably could have done more was in attacking Nishioka’s serve. How the hell did Nishioka manage to hold serve so often with that slow, often short serve!?!
Well I was thinking the same during the match. Nishioka serve is very tricky to return because of the angle he hits it with and the junk balling type of spin that results after the bound, it is tough to time and hit winners straight out. Felix felt he needed to rally with Nishioka, into the Japanese strike zone

Overall though it was a great match, really gutted Felix could not do it, but he played well, it was a a high level and fun match

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,197 Posts
Despite losing the match, that near comeback toward the end must give FAA some confidence for the future. He tried to keep going even though he had lost his touch in the previous games. It would've been a totally different story, a highly negative one, if he had just bowed out easily by 1-6.

As for the several games where he couldn't hold to save his life, Nishioka is a very methodical solid returner, and manages to be where he is by doing that kind of stuff against big hitters on a semi-regular basis. Even veterans fall into that trap to make tons of errors, so it's only natural that happened to the young Canadian as well.

As for Nishioka, well, not entirely surprising since this will be his second R4 appearance at IW. And he was very, very very close to beating Stan last time.
But Nishioka was the guy that put an end to his record breaking run at a Challenger in Canada when he was still 14. Félix also won the first set in that one. He should remember him well, though 4 years is a long time.

This court without sun is disgustingly slow and Félix struggled with Nishioka's moonballs.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
It won't be too long before his base level is enough to beat guys like Nishioka easily, but that was a pretty significant choke to end the match from 5-3 up. He got super passive in the rally in the 5-3 point and allowed Nishioka to dictate and then he just completely blew the next 3. Very reminiscent to his last deciding set TB at this level to Medvedev, which he similarly blew in Toronto last year in R32. His inconsistent serve fell apart again tonight and his volleys were dreadful, but this just shows he still has strides to make mentally as much as anything else.

Hope Miami gives him a WC next week, they really should.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It won't be too long before his base level is enough to beat guys like Nishioka easily, but that was a pretty significant choke to end the match from 5-3 up. He got super passive in the rally in the 5-3 point and allowed Nishioka to dictate and then he just completely blew the next 3. Very reminiscent to his last deciding set TB at this level to Medvedev, which he similarly blew in Toronto last year in R32. His inconsistent serve fell apart again tonight and his volleys were dreadful, but this just shows he still has strides to make mentally as much as anything else.

Hope Miami gives him a WC next week, they really should.
It's not that uncommon to lose a TB from 5-3 up, 6-3 would have been a "real" choke. But the biggest choke of recent time would have been Nishioka losing this match from 5-1 30-0 on his serve in the decider, so while I'm sad for Felix, I'm happy for Nishioka cuz he really deserved to win this match after stepping it up so incredibly well from 1-3 down in the 2nd set.

At the end of the day, Felix lost cuz he was way too impatient and tried to go for too much too soon, also missing lots of easy volleys & overheads. But that's what a guy like Nishioka does to you, makes you play an extra shot, and hits the ball very deep and rarely missing.

Anyway, I'm happy for Nishioka and hope he can back up this win by reaching his first M1000 QF, he really deserves it!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
It's not that uncommon to lose a TB from 5-3 up, 6-3 would have been a "real" choke. But the biggest choke of recent time would have been Nishioka losing this match from 5-1 30-0 on his serve in the decider, so while I'm sad for Felix, I'm happy for Nishioka cuz he really deserved to win this match after stepping it up so incredibly well from 1-3 down in the 2nd set.
I'm just stating what I saw...that he got both passive and also error prone in the biggest moments of this match and it's not the first time that's happened to him. Doesn't mean he'll do that forever certainly, he's 18.

At the end of the day, Felix lost cuz he was way too impatient and tried to go for too much too soon, also missing lots of easy volleys & overheads. But that's what a guy like Nishioka does to you, makes you play an extra shot, and hits the ball very deep and rarely missing.

Anyway, I'm happy for Nishioka and hope he can back up this win by reaching his first M1000 QF, he really deserves it!
Yes, Nishioka is an incredible fighter and retriever. Not the best opponent for a young and often impatient offensive baseliner. Nishioka made Felix play the extra ball a lot and it cost him repeatedly (would help if he was a better volleyer but his feel there is pretty awful right now).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts