Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dogs Balls finally got it done after a mix of brilliant, ridiculous and trying to throw away a double break twice in the 1st and 3rd sets.

Thankfully he held on and plays Nadal next.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Indian Wells R3: Dolgo picks a bone with Baggy - 6-4, 5-7, 6-4

Took Dolgo far too long to close out - could have won in straights, and was 4-0 40-15 up in the third. Even the final game from 40-0 up was a tussle :p Still, a good showing, with some epic shotmaking (as always). And a decent fight from Bagster. :yeah:

v Nadal in R4.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I love the way Dolgo plays. I know some people would call it reckless or lazy but I think if he tried to be more controlled he would fail as a player. His game is all about instinct

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Damn, Baghdatis could beat Nadal but Dolgopolov's tricks doesnt work on Nadal at all, specially not on this surface.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Dolgo made that so much harder than it should have been. One moment he can look like a genius on court and the next he'll look like a club player. He's also extremely negative on himself lately.

The one thing that may be improving about his game is that's he's finally going back to the backhand drive instead of all of that slicing, which is good because it makes him more unpredictable.

I'm pretty sure he's going to get destroyed by Nadal though.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Good win for Dolgy, he just loves slugfests doesn't he :).

And sadly, this match is evidence of how Marcos is way past his prime and is just about ready to hang up his racquet :sad:.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Nadal is a horrible matchup to anyone who relies on the slice too much.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Ugh, Nadal is going to roll to the final

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I love the way Dolgo plays. I know some people would call it reckless or lazy but I think if he tried to be more controlled he would fail as a player. His game is all about instinct
I agree 100%. a lot of people criticize the 'Dog' for his wild antics and unorthodox style but it really aids him at times. if he focused on playing more solid than sporatic he would no longer have his biggest asset-- surprise. as an opponent of Alex, you can never be quite sure what he will do.

flashes of brilliance and flashes of horrible-ness are better than just a lot of 'solid pretty good' play. plus if he toned it down he would be no fun to watch.

not surprising he took out Baghdatis BUT Nadal is just way way too good and for whatever reason Alex does not seem to be good at handling Nadal's spin (at least their previous matches have shown) so he will probably get thrashed next round.

Fun to see him play though and would be great to see him give Nadal a challenge

Reactions: out_here_grindin

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nadal is a horrible matchup to anyone who relies on the slice too much.
Yes, Florian Mayer struggled against Nadal with all that variation.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I agree 100%. a lot of people criticize the 'Dog' for his wild antics and unorthodox style but it really aids him at times. if he focused on playing more solid than sporatic he would no longer have his biggest asset-- surprise. as an opponent of Alex, you can never be quite sure what he will do.

flashes of brilliance and flashes of horrible-ness are better than just a lot of 'solid pretty good' play. plus if he toned it down he would be no fun to watch.

not surprising he took out Baghdatis BUT Nadal is just way way too good and for whatever reason Alex does not seem to be good at handling Nadal's spin (at least their previous matches have shown) so he will probably get thrashed next round.

Fun to see him play though and would be great to see him give Nadal a challenge
very well said

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Never a dull moment with Dolgo!
This should have been so much easier for him, but with Dolgo you know it's three seconds genious, four seconds horrible.
Part of the attraction one might say.

YAYYYYYY!!!! :cheerleader:
Davai, Dolgo! :rocker2:

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Dolgo played Nadal here last year and lost horribly iirc.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not lazy or reckless, it's just the way he is and thankfully he has the right coach to suit his personality.

Been struggling in this event, but he's got through to the 4th round. People expect robot consistency it's not happening with Dolgopolov.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Yes, Florian Mayer struggled against Nadal with all that variation.
Indoor with Nadal on bad form, yes take one exception and lets make it a rule. Dolgopolov was trashed last time on this surface by Nadal, Petzschner barely even uses his slice against Nadal.

Federer was even better than mayer late season last year, bagelled him and all. By this logic you could say Federer has no matchup issue against Nadal.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 49 Posts