Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A comfortable win despite Nole playing below par. Anderson never really threatened him.

The march to the final continues. :sport:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sure Djokovic isn't at the top of his game. I still find it impressive winning matches with easy scores like this despite playing so so.
He will have to raise his game if he wants the W in this tourny. I'm sure he will, but I'm not sure it's enough vs Rafa or Roger.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Sure Djokovic isn't at the top of his game. I still find it impressive winning matches with easy scores like this despite playing so so.
He will have to raise his game if he wants the W in this tourny. I'm sure he will, but I'm not sure it's enough vs Rafa or Roger.
Oh he will. :dance:
I still remember how many people wrote him off at Wimbledon after the first week where he played pretty bad. Then he came with all guns firing when it mattered, against tsonga and nadal.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Andersons groundgame is so impressive for being a tall guy. Not many takes Nole to 14 minute games.
Anderson has always been a player to watch. He has a giant serve and sound groundstrokes. Wonder why he hasn't achieved much more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
ugly win, so typical.
Yeah, it was an ugly win in a way. What is scary is that all the time I had this feeling that Novak was in second gear. He did accelerate a couple of times and it was so obvious. As he did against Golubev, just a couple of times and then his quality showed. I found his attitude completely ugly though. He actually played cat and mouse with both Golubev and Anderson. He'd catch the mouse (had them under his watchful eye) and let them play a little and just about when they were about to flee (for example, just when Anderson was about to break him) he'd grab and squeeze them into submission. Scary stuff. And I don't think I like Novak all that much any more. He was a much more enjoyable player back in 2008 when he showed passion and wished to win, when he was not so secretive about what he could do. Today he tried only one DTL backhand shot and it didn't go in and he gave up on it, as if it wasn't his favorite winning groundstroke. Regardless one was never in doubt about the score and that's what I find scary and ugly.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
great win consider he played his nemesis

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Oh he will. :dance:
I still remember how many people wrote him off at Wimbledon after the first week where he played pretty bad. Then he came with all guns firing when it mattered, against tsonga and nadal.
careful with automatic assumptions that Djokovic will do well. tennis is an ever changing sport and no player always does well year after year unless they are named Roger Federer.

Djokovic looks off and got a bit lucky in a few games in this match that Anderson let nerves get to him. I'm sure Novak will improve his game as this tournament progresses but your blind faith is strange. And as for your comment about Wimbledon, that did happen but you can't assume every tournament a player is not playing his best that he will definitely start to play his best at the latter stages.
more often than not a player who is in bad form in a tournament gets knocked out rather than drastically improve. Djokovic is definitely not your normal player but even he cannot always defy trends.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Yeah, it was an ugly win in a way. What is scary is that all the time I had this feeling that Novak was in second gear. He did accelerate a couple of times and it was so obvious. As he did against Golubev, just a couple of times and then his quality showed. I found his attitude completely ugly though. He actually played cat and mouse with both Golubev and Anderson. He'd catch the mouse (had them under his watchful eye) and let them play a little and just about when they were about to flee (for example, just when Anderson was about to break him) he'd grab and squeeze them into submission. Scary stuff. And I don't think I like Novak all that much any more. He was a much more enjoyable player back in 2008 when he showed passion and wished to win, when he was not so secretive about what he could do. Today he tried only one DTL backhand shot and it didn't go in and he gave up on it, as if it wasn't his favorite winning groundstroke. Regardless one was never in doubt about the score and that's what I find scary and ugly.
I agree; I watched the match and felt so bad for the crowd, Novak made this match not at all enjoyable to watch. he looked indifferent the entire time and lacks so much passion these days. he still can play great (or at least win matches by large margins) but often he looks so not excited! or happy. people mention it about Nadal or Murray sometimes, the fact they look like they are going through the motions out there / disinterested but definitely since the fantastic season last year Djokovic seems less passionate. that is concerning if you ask me but maybe he really is sticking to his guns about prioritizing slams.
then again the crowd pays for a good match with players who 'care' so it's a bit dissapointing

·
Premium Member
21,472 Posts
He was playing in the hot and slow conditions against a pretty good player, who just won a tournament btw, I'm not sure what kind of enjoyment from Novak you all expect.

He never got broken, even hit a pair of aces down a break point and won 2 and 3, nothing shabby about that. Moreover, Anderson sure didn't fold, and match was over 90 minutes long, so the crowd shouldn't be too unhappy either :)

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Very bizarre that such an indifferent Novak can win the set 6-2. He definitely looked more motivated in the second, though.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Boring match to say the last. Nole playing at 40% and still winning 6-2 6-3.

The cap obviously makes him look and play like a gimp.

Ajde.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
poor kevin =( unlucky draw

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Why is this guy called the baker again? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts