Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very competitive, entertaining, well played match from both sides. Isner's serve and the difference in power between the two made the main difference. Pico struggled throughout the match to hold serve, especially from the middle of the first set onward, and did a great job hanging in and fighting, and playing with more authority and aggression when it looked like Isner was going to take total control during several periods in the second set, especially in saving three match points before finally succumbing. Pico also did a better job than most at returning Isner's serve but John overall served great in the match. Isner did a great job of saving two 15-40 situations in the middle of both sets with huge serves. Isner also improved his returning as the match went onward, as Pico got too predictable with his serves to Isner's BH.

He's really improved his entire game and has a great shot at the SF here. His forehand is a huge shot and his backhand, consistency from the baseline and movement have improved dramatically. And no-one on tour has the second serve that Isner possesses.

Excellent match, I think the best one of the tournament thus far beside GGL's upset over Murray.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
choker as always this monaco.
nothing new here.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
big John so clutch on big points

Monaco gifted a few points now and then though, especially the DF to give Isner the last MP was crucial

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
choker as always this monaco.
nothing new here.
How did Monaco choke?

I wish that word could be censored. Clowns have no idea what it means.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pico didn't choke, the pressure got to him. He was having to struggle on serve every single service game, and Isner raised the level of his returning at the end of both sets. Especially the second set, Isner started cracking returns from both the BH and FH. Pressure ended up showing itself. If you want to call it a choke, then it's a choke induced by Isner.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
How did Monaco choke?

I wish that word could be censored. Clowns have no idea what it means.
You're so right on that.
Monaco struggled in almost every service game, or rather say Isner was into every return game (in the 2nd set he won more points on return than on serve in total, percentaged of course not) while Big John held easily so Monaco was under pressure all the time. He could have also got broken right at the start of the 2nd, then nobody would take about that "choke" here which wasn't one actually.
And by the way the first 2 MPs were saved with great play by Monaco (going to the net twice and once hitting a good overhead and the other time a good dropshot I think) so it's not like he went down without a fight, Isner was just better.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Pico didn't choke, the pressure got to him. He was having to struggle on serve every single service game, and Isner raised the level of his returning at the end of both sets. Especially the second set, Isner started cracking returns from both the BH and FH. Pressure ended up showing itself. If you want to call it a choke, then it's a choke induced by Isner.

he choked then.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Isner is looking so sharp lately. His movement looks better than adequate (saying a lot for someone his size) and other posters are right in that his backhand is, at times, a weapon. Of course the serve and forehand are always there. If he can be a tad smarter (more consistent) from the baseline, he may actually have his chances to beat some top players.

This is great. He actually has a shot at the top ten. If Roddick was still around (in a stronger sense) we'd have potential for three Americans in the top ten. I can't think of the last time that happened.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Few more good results and Top 10 is yours

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've also got Isner going to the SF. If you get to see him in person soon, you will be even more amazed at his movement for his size. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts