Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real battle for Santi to serve out the 1st set, but once he did that Nishikori didn't hang around. Giraldo was hitting some stinging shots and the 120 km/h second serves were doing the damage.

Good for the game this result.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Indian Wells R2: Giraldo def. [17] Nishikori 7-5 6-2

Appalling match from Nishikori for the most part. Giraldo dictated play throughout. Kei struggled to hold most of the match and Santi broke to serve for the first set by being aggressive and not allowing Kei to get into points and get into a rhythm; as well as playing some decent defense, serving well on the big points on his serve, and being the more consistent player overall, something he isn't noted for. Some flashy forehand winners for Giraldo throughout. Wasn't a overwhelmingly great performance and he had some lapses, but Nishikori didn't take advantage of any of them.

Kei was too defensive overall, missed too many returns, made too many errors when he was trying to attack and played the big points poorly. He was just never really in the match; his game never really rose beyond mediocre.

Almagro next for Giraldo, a good opportunity for the fourth round here.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Indian Wells R2: Giraldo beats Nishikori 7-5, 6-2

Kei :sad:

vcash :bigcry:

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Re: Indian Wells R2: Giraldo def. [17] Nishikori 7-5 6-2

don't know why but I've always the feeling Giraldo plays better on HCs (at least this slow kind) rather than clay..

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Playing on hardcourt makes it easier for Giraldo to hit through the court and attack without making errors, so I do think slower hardcourts suit him well. He's dangerous when he's allowed to attack the way Kei allowed him to.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Re: Indian Wells R2: Giraldo def. [17] Nishikori 7-5 6-2

Kei really struggled returning Giraldo's second serve, just like Ferrer last week. It has to be one of the slowest deliveries in the top 100 along with, say, Nieminen and Volandri.

I did not think Giraldo and Andujar would both have chances to reach the 4th round here. :lol:

don't know why but I've always the feeling Giraldo plays better on HCs (at least this slow kind) rather than clay..
He's had some decent results on hard courts, a handful of QFs, a SF last year in Auckland. Not sure about better, but he certainly has the right style of play to do well on these particular courts.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
:sad: Not a lot of fight from Kei.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Giraldo is about the same standard on slow hardcourts and clay.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
giraldo has some finishing power off both wings and that tends to do some damage. he can take it early off either wing and hammer it.

what you are seeing is little more consistency than in the past and that is why he is a better, improved player today.

he is improving right before our eyes.

he can also blast that serve when he wants to. great racquet head speed.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
This was a good win for Santi! he has to take his chances now that the draw has kinda opened for him.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was a good win for Santi! he has to take his chances now that the draw has kinda opened for him.
Plays Almagro next, don't think he will return El Cabezon's serve well enough. Though would like to see otherwise.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
There goes my QF pick :facepalm:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
So Nishikori, Murray, Benneteau, Gasquet all flame out immediately. I know how to pick them.

Reactions: silverwhite
1 - 20 of 24 Posts