Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The thing you can take out of this match is that A-Rod is a fighter. He's clearly struggling with confidence and his form, but he competed very well today, got better as the match went on, and that, along with Kubot's help from a choking aspect, got him through here. Very important win for the American, the type of result that can spur on better things for him going forward.

Kubot was completely dictating the match up to 6-4 *5-4. He had chances throughout the first set to break, A-Rod wasn't serving that well, and Kubot was consistently attacking Roddick's second serves, hitting return winners and coming into the net off of second serve returns. Kubot S&V'd well off of his own serve, mixed up the placement of his serves well, and was the aggressor from the baseline with his backhand. Kubot broke to win the first set on a BH DTL and broke to serve for the match in the second set on a return winner off a second serve.

Kubot's aggressive gameplan was totally working until he served for the match. Then he started getting extremely predictable with his serve, going to the backhand 95% of the time, his serve percentage dropped and he got broken to love, and was never the same player. His forehand broke down completely from that point through the rest of the match. Roddick started returning a lot better as the match went on, especially off the backhand, but Kubot will be kicking himself for not taking out A-Rod when he was down.

Roddick got a lot more aggressive with his serve the final two sets to offset the attacking Kubot was doing off return, something he needs to continue doing going forward against all opponents. Roddick struggled to win the second set breaker from *5-2 up but got the job done with a good return, and you knew it was inevitable from there. Hopefully A-Rod takes confidence from this and can improve his play.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
You can hate him all you want but that was one hell of an effort from Roddick.

Actually showed some glimpses of his old self too which was great, but lets be honest, overall it was an awful match.

Nice to see Andy's reaction when he won though, clearly shows how much this means to him.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Polish LaLo shocking game to try and serve it out. As for Roddick well he fought hard and was less rubbish.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can hate him all you want but that was one hell of an effort from Roddick.

Actually showed some glimpses of his old self too which was great, but lets be honest, overall it was an awful match.

Nice to see Andy's reaction when he won though, clearly shows how much this means to him.
exactly! it was cool to see that fighting spirit again despite his level of play is still very low...hopes he gains some confidence after this hard worked win today! he got the fans behind him so GO ANDY

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
what a horrible choker this Kubot

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Roddick:yeah:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
perhaps the most i have ever seen the crowd pull for andy. they know what he has been going through and he really did grind this win out. his reaction to the crowd after said a lot about how much he wanted it and how much the crowd gave him.

ugly tennis, but serve is looking slightly better for roddick, which is important.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Kubot is a major bottler. Grats to Roddick though! And the biggest shocker of all, he wasn't pushing the whole time today!

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
Kubot would be a very good player with brain, he played well until second set 5-4. Terrible loss, I can't say anything else about this match. :sad: Łukasz :hug: :hug:

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Lucky ducky :lol: Kubot did not hit a single first serve when he was serving for the match and s&v on seconds with rather silly approaches.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That cost a me a pretty penny.

What always makes me feel better after those kind of losses is that the player himself feels much worse. Does that make a bad person?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Roddick getting some grit and grind confidence after beating Olderer at MSG....next stop, 2nd GS at Wimby :rocker2: :rocker2:

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Kubot you are so useless.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
Didn't think I would say this but I am glad that Roddick won. It was really sad to watch him for set and half. And Kubot . All this time one of bigger enigmas for me. Don't know what to think about him. He is too journeyman to be a serious player but at the same time like his game

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
They are peers, but 9 years ago when Roddick was on the top of the tennis world, Q-bot could only dream about a match like this one (he was playing mainly Futures tournaments then). The Pole should have won this match though, taking into account Roddick's current form and the progress of the match :eek:

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Failbot :facepalm: Should have really sent Monoduck packing. Bad result for tennis.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts