Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crazy match. Levine broke to start the match at 15. He then double faulted three times to lose the break after several deuces. He broke again at 2-2 and mostly cruised on serve from then until serving for the set at *5-4, where he was broken. Ramos saved two break points at 5-5 after double faulting twice in the game and the first set went into a tiebreak.

Levine had a *1-0, *2-1 and *3-2 tiebreak lead that he blew. Ramos lead *5-3 and then *6-5 after Levine double faulted, but couldn't win the set. Both guys held their serves until Ramos had *10-9 in the breaker but he lost three straight points, and Levine won the tiebreak 12-10.

Second set, Ramos broke for *2-1 and mostly cruised on serve until he was broken for 4-4 after falling behind 0-40. Both guys then held their next games comfortably until Levine saved 0-30 at 5 all and Ramos came back from 3 match points down at *5-6 to hold and get into a second set tiebreak. Levine led *3-1 in the tiebreaker until Ramos won five straight points to take a *6-3 lead, eventually winning the breaker.

Third set, Levine had 0-30 in the first game and didn't break, and Ramos eventually broke for a *3-1 lead. At 4-*1, Ramos had 0-30 and Levine saved three break points to hold serve. Ramos had 30-15, 40-30 and two game points at *4-2 but eventually had to save break point to hold to consolidate his break advantage. He then broke Levine to win the match.

2 hours and 51 minutes, but the Spaniard found a way through. Good win for him, but a very disappointing and unfortunate loss for Jesse on home soil.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
dunno why Levine was favourite here according to the odds, maybe Ramos not 100% fit

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Was a 50-50 match imo, glad that Ramos pulled through. He is winning some HC matches lately, which is good for his progress.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
I've never watched Ramos play, but from watching regularly his scores, I've had the impression that he's a very tenacious and also very physical player, and the case of losing the first set, winning a very tight second set and winning third set quite easily, is quite common for him.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Ramos is Verdasco with much less power, a more reliable but not necessarily better serve, and some sort of notion of fighting spirit.
Ramos is one of the biggest fighters on tour. Watched him in Umag last year and I could feel his effort to stay in the match and fight to the bitter end. This was another hard fought win, even saving MP in the process. :worship:
His serve lacks power but is way more reliable than Doublefaultasco's. In general his game lacks some power, but is very consistent.

Vamos Ramos! :hatoff:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
I'll admit, I uttered a vamos when Ramos saved all those match points in the two minutes I stared at the scoreboard. I have nothing decent I can rhyme with Levine, so he goes unmentioned.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
His serve lacks power but is way more reliable than Doublefaultasco's.
Actually Verdasco is always among the players on the top for the first serve percentage : I think it's not what I call an unreliable serve, but probably he takes many risks on his second serve hence the double faults.

Thanks Mateya and Li Ching Yuen for the impressions about Ramos :yeah:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts