Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another up and down, unpredictable match in Indian Wells.

First set, Don got broken on a double fault to fall behind 1-*2 and got broken again to 15 to fall behind a double break. Steve faced no break points and served at 79%, won the couple close games on his serve and took the first set relatively comfortably.

Second set, DY broke at the first opportunity to take a *2-0 lead, and saved two break points and handful of deuces to consolidate his advantage. Don had 15-30 for a double break and didn't take advantage, and Steve immediately broke to 15 the next game to get it back on serve at 3-2. Don then re-broke to get back ahead a break for *4-2 and held on from there to take the second set.

Third set, Darcis raced to a *4-0 lead after a long game where Don came back from *0-40 down and saved four break points before being broken. Don came all the way back to tie it at 4-4 and had three break points to serve for the match after Darcis led the game 40-15, but didn't take advantage. Both then held on after back-to-back deuce games on their serves and they headed into a tiebreaker.

In the tiebreak, Don had two early mini-break leads but Steve won five straight points from *1-3 down to 6-*3 up to eventually win it 7-5. Extremely deflating loss for Donald, at the tournament he beat Murray and started his career rebirth last season. Steve always does well to win dogfights like this, and ultimately I like him a little more than I do Donald so I'm happy he won. Hopefully this loss doesn't set Don back; he really could have used a victory here given the season he's had and growing pressure he's under to perform.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Indian Wells R1: Darcis beats Young 6-2, 3-6, 7-6

:yeah:

Young and Tomic losing on the same day. Glorious.

Reactions: tennishero

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Not as fun as Tomic's defeat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts