Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hurkacz's serve really clicked in 1st set, and he was all over Dimitrov's service games to take the set easily.
The Bulgarian won 2nd set by an extremely lucky dead netcord winner on 1st attempt, though he really gathered himself for the decider, saved 2 BPs by clutch play at 2*-1 and broke Hurkacz at 3-2* by an angled FH winner. Dimitrov failed to serve out the match, got broken by a dead netcord bouncing off error at 5*-3.
In TB Grigor hit cleaner and dictated more.
In the end even Hurkacz seemed to be the more tired player...

Stats:

Product Yellow Font Screenshot Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That was a fucking frustrating match to watch, especially for people who support Hurkacz. At one point it looked like most of his service games were pretty straightforward, whereas Dimitrov was always struggling and was the tired one. But Hurkacz was unclutch af, and Dimitrov was really clutch. I nearly forgot how annoying Dimitrov’s slicebotting is. That dead netcord to lose the 2nd set was extremely disgusting though. Then a pathetic showing in the tiebreak from Hurkacz. What a match to forget.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Another opponent pulling an unclutch performance against him, Norrie next, what's new? Watch someone upset Zverev now.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Watched his last two matches and I must say that nowadays Grigor plays smart and disciplined tennis.

If he continues to be focused, patient and disciplined with his game plans, he can easily go back to top 10
That’s a pretty bold choice of word. As well as he played and how you just described him in the last 2 matches, he barely won them. Could have easily lost in routine fashion in both matches.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Good tennis from Grigor, he looked exhausted at the end. The full day off should help him recover for the SF.

Someone should post a video of that incredible volley in the 3rd, down a breakpoint at 30:40!

·
God loves a trier
5,737 Posts
Some great fighting by Grigor, who was clearly tired. He was willing to go long in rallies and keep slicing to Hurkacz's backhand until he drew an error.

Hurkacz hit the ball very hard and sweetly when he was on top, with great depth, but once Dimitrov started turning the tide, Hurkacz's accuracy went awry.

Some stunning points (especially that Dimitrov volley) and a pleasing contrast in styles. I wish Dimitrov had served it out; it would have been the ending his performance deserved. But in the end, we had Hurkacz's implosion in the TB. Pretty poor on his part.

Dimitrov's skill and athleticism are a joy to behold. Let's hope he's enough left in the tank to compete with a well-rested Norrie tomorrow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Enjoyable game to watch. HH crumpled and Grigor should have served out. Some great passing shots. Different styles. Both are enjoyable players. Not sure about the SF against Norrie. Unpredictable, given Norrie's tendency to surprise (goes both ways).

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Haneul, I am glad that you are feeling good. Time to go to bed and listen to some manele, right, domnule?
Actually this time I put a bet on him at the start of the tie break, was expecting a full collapse from Hurkacz after losing the 2nd on a cord and pretty much every important point.

• Love
Reactions: DinnerWarrior

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
@El Alto - great summary.

Yes, the net cord for the 2nd set was lucky, although Dimitrov was on top in that rally and it was not luck he had the break point. Then Dimitrov was broken when serving for the match by a net cord that went against him. Again, it was not luck by Hurkacz that he had the break point.

It was a close match and could have gone either way.

The depth Hurkacz found when defending was impressive. Despite the unforced error count, particularly early in the 3rd, I felt Hurkacz the more solid player under pressure.

Actually this time I put a bet on him at the start of the tie break, was expecting a full collapse from Hurkacz after losing the 2nd on a cord and pretty much every important point.
Funny, I was worried Dimitrov might be the one down after winning the 2nd set on a net cord and perhaps feeling undeserving!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I felt that Dimitrov was the better player in sets 2 and 3. He really started to play more aggressively, and his defence was also really impressive. Hurkacz did well behind his first serve but struggled with his second serve. Also, I don't think he was aggressive enough when it mattered. I'm glad that Dimitrov was able to stay solid in the tiebreak because he deserved to win today.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
That was a fucking frustrating match to watch, especially for people who support Hurkacz. At one point it looked like most of his service games were pretty straightforward, whereas Dimitrov was always struggling and was the tired one. But Hurkacz was unclutch af, and Dimitrov was really clutch. I nearly forgot how annoying Dimitrov’s slicebotting is. That dead netcord to lose the 2nd set was extremely disgusting though. Then a pathetic showing in the tiebreak from Hurkacz. What a match to forget.
Djokofan finds slicebotting annoying, news at 11.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts