Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From playing nadal in a grand slam quarterfinal to getting bagelled by a challenger journeyman in the qualifiers in 18 month. Well done, mr. Rublev

What the hell happened to him? Wasn’t he part of the so-called next gen and to his way into the top 20 or even 10?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yeah, I made a comment in the IW discussion thread to see what happened in that final set. Thought this match would have been NID but then I guess Rublev is a bit of a mental case.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I don't know what happened here, but after watching him lose IW challenger final to Edmund (what was he even doing there?), I am not really surprised. His serve is just non existent. The number of return winners Edmund hit must be double digits. Afaik, last year he had some serious back issues which may have contributed to this problem. Not sure how persistent they are.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Great result. Fratangelo has been playing really well the last few months. Sometimes when it's his day he's almost unstoppable on hard courts. Rublev is often playing right on the border of a nervous crisis, he's too emotional and even tho I didn't watch the match I'm sure he imploded after losing the 2nd set TB from 4-1.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What the hell happened to him? Wasn’t he part of the so-called next gen and to his way into the top 20 or even 10?
He had a back injury last year, missed clay & grass season. Has been struggling since his return and then had that massive point loss because of the time off + losing streak.
He reached the IW CH final last week, which had a 250 level field. In fact, he lost to Edmund there. So, even though he's already been back for a while, this could be him finally on the rise again. #100 in the live rankings.
Fratangelo was playing ATP tour not so long ago, too.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Great result. Fratangelo has been playing really well the last few months. Sometimes when it's his day he's almost unstoppable on hard courts. Rublev is often playing right on the border of a nervous crisis, he's too emotional and even tho I didn't watch the match I'm sure he imploded after losing the 2nd set TB from 4-1.
:lol: Fratangelo unstoppable? He's a solid player, but that's a ridiculous statement, IMO.

Peak Rublev beats peak Fratangelo. Without a doubt.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Rublev :lol: Quite a headcase.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
958 Posts
:lol: Fratangelo unstoppable? He's a solid player, but that's a ridiculous statement, IMO.

Peak Rublev beats peak Fratangelo. Without a doubt.
It's ridiculous for people who only watch tennis when the big stars are playing. I said when "it's his day". I doubt you've watched even one match from the tournament Fratangelo won in Fairsfield, but if you did you would know he blew everyone off the court there. And one more thing - Rublev ain't that big time...yet.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
It's ridiculous for people who only watch tennis when the big stars are playing. I said when "it's his day". I doubt you've watched even one match from the tournament Fratangelo won in Fairsfield, but if you did you would know he blew everyone off the court there. And one more thing - Rublev ain't that big time...yet.
OMG You weren't even being hyperbolic. Unbelievable.

I've watched Fratangelo plenty of times. I know he can play well, but your statement implies that at his best he is better than everyone else, no matter the level at which they are playing. That's just bizarre. I repeat: peak Rublev > peak Fratangelo any day.

·
Registered
958 Posts
OMG You weren't even being hyperbolic. Unbelievable.

I've watched Fratangelo plenty of times. I know he can play well, but your statement implies that at his best he is better than everyone else, no matter the level at which they are playing. That's just bizarre. I repeat: peak Rublev > peak Fratangelo any day.
My statement implies that he has a mode that sometimes he turns on and when he does that he plays at a level much higher than his average. And what is peak Rublev? You sure he wasn't overachieving a few years ago? Btw Fratangelo did bagel him and beat Elias Ymer last night. Not saying he's great, but not garbage like most people here think. Today's Fratangelo is better than Fratangelo from 2 or 3 years ago.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Fratangelo has a legend swedish name , an italian surname but he's american . What else is there ! I should watch him . He beat Thiem in RG final .

How come he never translated that to clay tournys??? Serious question

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
My statement implies that he has a mode that sometimes he turns on and when he does that he plays at a level much higher than his average.
This I don't dispute (and goes for most, if not all, players), but that's not how your earlier statement read.

And what is peak Rublev? You sure he wasn't overachieving a few years ago? Btw Fratangelo did bagel him and beat Elias Ymer last night. Not saying he's great, but not garbage like most people here think. Today's Fratangelo is better than Fratangelo from 2 or 3 years ago.
It's possible he overachieved a few years ago, but then that was his peak. Only time will tell.

Beating Ymer is not a major accomplishment. I reckon Fratangelo was the clear favorite going into that match.

In any case, I strongly dislike Rublev and prefer a hard-working player like Fratangelo any day. So, like you, I am happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
958 Posts
This I don't dispute (and goes for most, if not all, players), but that's not how your earlier statement read.
I don't believe many players have it. Wawrinka can go into Stanimal mode. Del Potro can lift his level and look like a completely different player in a matter of minutes or at least could do it. I've seen Medvedev go into almost unbeatable mode a few times (for example the final in Japan vs Nishikori). I don't think many players have that switch. This is exactly why I mentioned Fratangelo. It's another question how often he can turn it on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts