Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to count heads with a poll

Reactions: jervisjames

·
Administrator
12,402 Posts
Right thing to do. With a case right in the same county, being in large crowds is extremely unsafe.

They could’ve technically played with no crowd and just have the media and television there, I guess. The NBA is even considering doing that.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Overreaction.
It's a lame attempt to damage U.S. and Trump image.
So true. It's a hoax, hence even US senators are in quarantine. Those who were mocking this thing are being careful now. When it's their lives and that of their loved ones on the line, they take it seriously. Screw politicians.

·
Registered
Faves: Dmitri Tursunov, Diego Schwartzman, Fernando Verdasco, Alex de Minaur and Ash Barty :)
10,161 Posts
My question is how many other tournaments will follow suit? Miami? Rome?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
So what? Do you want to compare old senators to fit tennis players?
It's the general population you have to worry about. If they chose to play without fans there, that is fine. The upcoming majors could be played without fans if this thing keeps spreading. I see no problem with it. It might be strage at first, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can we be honest?? they are doing a terrible job of quarantining this illness!! let’s be real!! everyone on earth will get it eventually....

·
justice for all
18,785 Posts
I'm not even sure if its the right question.

Of course it was right not to play it with crowds in the stands risking potential spreading of the virus but...

...the tournament was cancelled for financial reasons.

The greedy basterds didn't want to play it with no spectators cause they would not earn enough money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Exa
It's the general population you have to worry about. If they chose to play without fans there, that is fine. The upcoming majors could be played without fans if this thing keeps spreading. I see no problem with it. It might be strage at first, but you get used to it.
Exactly, they could play in empty stadiums.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Can we be honest?? they are doing a terrible job of quarantining this illness!! let’s be real!! everyone on earth will get it eventually....
They are slowing it down to prevent health systems from being overwhelmed. At this stage, this thing really can't be stopped. When a vaccine comes out in a year or so, people will relax a little. Fear is actually the bigger danger right now. People fighting over toilet paper, just nuts.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
They are slowing it down to prevent health systems from being overwhelmed. At this stage, this thing really can't be stopped. When a vaccine comes out in a year or so, people will relax a little. Fear is actually the bigger danger right now. People fighting over toilet paper, just nuts.

As a U.S. person , let me tell you that probably half of the spectators probably wouldn't have shown up anyway to Indian Wells.

It is the 2nd most prestigious tournament in the U.S. and attracts many visitors, but also many elderly visitors. The problem with the virus is that with one case , that it could have already spread to about two other people or more. One of those people could have been going to Indian Wells and thought they just had a severe cold. Oh and lets say they Don't cover their sneezes and are one of the many Americans who don't wash their hands!

500,000 people are then at risk.

It makes complete and utter sense.

Reactions: xcom

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I think the right thing to do, as disappointed as I am.
I think they have to do everything to stop the spread for the time being.
As soon as cases start dropping dramatically ...

What's all this talk about playing without the fans there? How would the tournament pay its winners without the take from the attendees? TV rights are not enough ...

Not looking good for italy or France, if the US cancels--
Right now there are only 50 infected in Canada, we must have lower rates than most ...

·
25,309 Posts
Not sure if ideal but lowering the prize money but keeping the points for this year with no spectators may be a good plan -- remember that these players are actually losing days of livelihood here especially for the lower ranks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If all NBA and NHL teams can play their games in INDOOR arenas in California and across the US, playing tennis in outdoor stadium smaller than any of those arenas is an overreaction. Have all concerts in indoor arenas been stopped?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If all NBA and NHL teams can play their games in INDOOR arenas in California and across the US, playing tennis in outdoor stadium smaller than any of those arenas is an overreaction. Have all concerts in indoor arenas been stopped?
NBA and NHL players have mostly been (if not nearly exclusively been) in North America for the last 5 months, and the fanbase is mostly local as well.

... Also, it's far from certain that games won't be canceled at this point.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts