Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inappropriate behaviors in tennis — a list

1) Circling a mark on clay with your racquet.

It's obnoxious behavior and can be used to wipe out the correct mark or to confuse people. Circular motions are proven to distract the human brain. If a player is asked to show where a mark is the player can point to it with the racquet or a foot.

2) Wearing clothing that's the color of the tennis ball, especially fluorescent versions.

This is done for cheating, period. Even if players wear this stuff because their clothing companies gave it to them it's cheating. A tennis player's brain focuses on this color, especially when it's moving. Most of the brain's processing is not conscious. Only around 10% of our brain's thinking is conscious thought.

3) Abusing bathroom breaks and injury timeouts.

This is particularly deplorable when 18-something players do it against old players. I've seen this with 18-19 year olds against late 30s and early 40s players — using long fake timeouts and breaks to get the old opponent stiff, cold, and nervous. The worst thing is that it almost always works.

4) Noise gamesmanship.

Screaming, moaning, shouting, etc. This is especially obvious, in terms of it being cheating, when players aren't noisy for all the shots they hit that require exertion and do it very selectively — often on the most important points.

5) People in the stands using thunder sticks, blowing loud horns, etc.

Saw this horribleness yesterday when trying to watch a Fed Cup match. Deplorable. The "car horns" between points are worse than blasting bits of bad canned music between games or points. This does not add excitement to matches. You can't manufacture excitement with irrelevant noisemaking.

6) Making that obnoxious windshield wiper towel gesture.

Tennis needs a less obnoxious gesture for a player asking for a towel, like a small wave at the helpers that's accompanied by a pleasant expression and a "thank you". Better yet, have players get their own towels. Are we really so impatient that we can't wait a few seconds? It's gross to see tennis kids have to handle sweaty towels, especially for rude players gesturing at them like they're slaves. Players can wear headbands and wristbands and change them between games if sweat is such a problem.

7) Getting more balls than you're going to serve with, tossing balls back after getting them or dropping them onto the ground

This behavior is appalling and needs to be banned. You should get exactly the number of balls you need and that's it. You don't need to sniff the balls, or massage them, or hunt for a lucky one from an identical can. Get a life!

8) Racquet breaking.

Automatic default. Racquet companies won't like that because they want recreational players to imitate them and break racquets but it's horrible behavior that shouldn't be tolerated.

9) Arguing over calls.

This is what Hawkeye is supposed to be for. Hawkeye should be on clay, too. Many of the worst moments in tennis have been about players arguing over calls. If you don't like the call you shake your head and them move on. The head shake registers your opinion so you can express yourself and moving on keeps the game on track. If there is some substantive change that can be made to avoid the issue in the future then suggest it to officials after the match. Suggest it in the press conference if you like.

10) Patting people after matches.

If they're your good friend it's one thing but, in general, condescending behaviors should not be part of the post-match display. Even friends may not want to be condescended to after a tough match. A handshake or a bow should suffice. Speaking of that, I don't see why handshakes should be expected in all of Asia. A bow would be a nice way to honor cultural difference. I suppose bowing is on the way out there because of Americanization but I think it's a preferable gesture than a handshake for a number of reasons.

11) Throwing your dirty clothing and towels into the stands after a match.

If you're going to throw your clothes or towels, throw laundered items. Better yet, don't throw things into the crowd in the first place. If you want memorabilia to be distributed then have it distributed randomly to the crowd by workers, so everyone in attendance has a shot at getting whatever it is. An autographed racquet cover would be a good thing to give out.

12) Not distributing random autographs after matches.

Why should autographs always be given at a certain spot, usually with kids and oversized tennis balls? There are plenty of people, including kids, elsewhere in the stands who would like an autograph. Make some cards with them prior to the match and then have them be distributed randomly by people working the event when it's over. That way there is a set number of them and players won't feel pressured to keep signing or to sign when they're not in the mood to. The annoying "gimme gimme" area won't be a thing after matches. Players won't have to walk by it and people won't have to see it.

13) Backward baseball caps.

Fashion obscenity.

I don't know who thinks this looks cool but it doesn't. It looks lame. The bill of a baseball cap is there for a purpose. It serves zero purpose turned around. If you want a cap and don't need a bill then get a cap without a bill. How difficult is that?

This isn't baseball. Maybe those caps look good backward on baseball players? I have no idea because I don't care about baseball. All I know I know is that it looks idiotic on tennis players.

14) The bye.

"Celebrity" players in a draw should still have to play all the rounds. If the first round is too much work for such players then make it a one set per match round for all the players.

15) Making players appear for shame conferences.

Losing players shouldn't have to appear before the press.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
56,514 Posts
Re: Inappropriate behaviors in tennis — a list

Number 7 is my pet peeve :lol: I totally don't understand the mathematics behind it.

·
Once bald, now hairy
1,739 Posts

69) insulting your opponent's girlfriend

tags : vekic , stan , nick , apologizing.for.banging , swingers , the kokk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

10) Patting people after matches.

If they're your good friend it's one thing but, in general, condescending behaviors should not be part of the post-match display. Even friends may not want to be condescended to after a tough match. A handshake or a bow should suffice. Speaking of that, I don't see why handshakes should be expected in all of Asia. A bow would be a nice way to honor cultural difference. I suppose bowing is on the way out there because of Americanization but I think it's a preferable gesture than a handshake for a number of reasons.
You completely lost me here. Patting people on the back in not necessarily condescending, that's just how you choose to see it maybe. some players may mean it genuinely as a way to express that to their opponent that they played well.

Why should handshakes be expected in Asia?? Well, it is the etiquette of the game of tennis. And in any case, people in several Asian countries still shake hands too, so I don't why you think they shouldn't. it's not that weird at all.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts

9 is exactly wrong. It's giving too much power to the umpires. Maybe if Goffin argued that call against Rafa, he'd have won the first set and possibly the match. Filing a complaint or whatever after the match does fucking nothing - the winner has already been determined. Also, Hawkeye isn't 100% accurate either, and there are other types of calls. You should be able to argue everything.

A default for breaking a racquet? No throwing clothes to the crowd? You must hate human expression. Distributing of clothes "by workers" ? That's just funny. It would seem so forced, unlike the throwing which allows people to personally connect with their favorite player. Same with the autographs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You completely lost me here. Patting people on the back in not necessarily condescending, that's just how you choose to see it maybe. some players may mean as genuinely as a way to express that to their opponent that they played well.
Look at all that caveat and you might get my point. Bypassing the pats avoids all of it.
Why should handshakes be expected in Asia?? Well, it is the etiquette of the game of tennis.
Everything is subject to change. It was once tennis etiquette for people to wear full-length clothing and for servers to keep a foot on the ground. I'm not making a big deal out of handshakes. All I said is that I think it would be nicer to have bowing. The pats are the thing that bug me. Condescending gestures may or may not be welcomed by opponents. The victor should just shake his/her hand and bypass the uncertainty. If they're such great friends and have to express that then use an actual hug.
And in any case, people in Asia still shake hands too, so I don't why you think they don't.
I addressed that already.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts

:rolls::superlol::haha::bowdown:

Good one Lazyguy, especially the number. :worship:

Reactions: Lazyguy and Vanity

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

9 is exactly wrong. It's giving too much power to the umpires. Maybe if Goffin argued that call against Rafa, he'd have won the first set and possibly the match.
Umpires are being paid to do that job. If they're not competent enough to manage it, with the help of Hawkeye, then people who are should fill the position.

You say everything should be arguable. It should be, after the match. Everything can be discussed and should be subject to change. There is a time and place for that. It's not during the match. That's what the lines judges, Hawkeye, and the umpire are there for.

A default for breaking a racquet?
Yes.

You must hate human expression.
I dislike vulgarity, crassness, etc. "Human expression" is a broad category.

Distributing of clothes "by workers" ? That's just funny. It would seem so forced, unlike the throwing which allows people to personally connect with their favorite player.
How much fun is that for people who aren't sitting near the players?

Same with the autographs.
How much fun is that for people not in the "gimme gimme" area and for people who don't get autographs because the player decides he/she doesn't feel like doing it after the match?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

yeah you said they shake hands because of Americanization and so bowing is on the way out. :lol: that's just not true...
This is getting off track. I'm not going to get into a long debate about cultural change related to bowing and handshaking. The point in real contention is the patting, not handshaking vs. bowing. That is a small aside. How many people in Japan shook hands prior to contact with Western cultures? Good question — but too far off-topic.

Both handshaking and bowing are acceptable enough. It's the patting that's the issue. It's too much of a possibility for undesirable condescension.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Players and fans showing any sign of emotions or inappropriate thoughts should be immediatly arrested by the Thought Police.

Bonus: footage of a proper trophy ceremony

Reactions: Vanity

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Players and fans showing any sign of emotions or inappropriate thoughts should be immediatly arrested by the Thought Police.
How about the Hyperbole Police?

If you're not crass, vulgar, and rude — then you're simply not living! :rolleyes:

Maybe you can explain to us how it's so necessary to the sanctity of thought and emotion for players to be given more balls than they need when serving so they can look at them and then dump them on the ground for kids to slavishly retrieve.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts

Umpires are being paid to do that job. If they're not competent enough to manage it, with the help of Hawkeye, then people who are should fill the position.

You say everything should be arguable. It should be, after the match. Everything can be discussed and should be subject to change. There is a time and place for that. It's not during the match. That's what the lines judges, Hawkeye, and the umpire are there for.
The time and place is when the call happens, exactly the opposite of what you say. Imagine if you lost a slam final because of a bad call, and then someone told you "well, you can argue it later, lol". Maybe you'd think differently then.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts

2) Wearing clothing that's the color of the tennis ball, especially fluorescent versions.
I take it you've not watched Wimbledon and other tournaments in the past when they played with white balls (no naughty comments :devil: here - save that for the Ruins) then.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

The thing with OP is that he has his own opinions and personal preferences but he's not open to discussion/criticism looking at his responses to other posts defending his own views/with a mocking tone. Either post on a forum with an open mind or keep your views to yourself.

You make lots of assumptions that are not necessarily true, such as bowing in Asia to reflect cultural differences, asking losing players to have a conference meaning shame. It is your own opinion that patting is condescending. I can tell you, in some parts of Asia it's even more condescending to bow to each other.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I take it you've not watched Wimbledon and other tournaments in the past when they played with white balls (no naughty comments :devil: here - save that for the Ruins) then.
White balls were replaced with yellow ones for increased visibility. This was mainly seen in terms of visibility for television audiences but yellow balls also have better visibility for tennis players.

White clothing with white balls is worse for visibility than white clothes with yellow balls.

Tennis changed the situation from a worse visibility situation to a better visibility situation.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

This is getting off track. I'm not going to get into a long debate about cultural change related to bowing and handshaking. The point in real contention is the patting, not handshaking vs. bowing. That is a small aside. How many people in Japan shook hands prior to contact with Western cultures? Good question — but too far off-topic.

Both handshaking and bowing is acceptable enough. It's the patting that's the issue. It's too much of a possibility for undesirable condescension.
I think you are making too much of it. People shake hands around the world and bowing is not down ieven in the same way in different countries so I don't think it really makes sense to even really worry about that.

Patting people on the back is completely fine. if the player does it in a condescending way that's his/her problem and I don't really think most of them do anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts

Only around 10% of our brain's thinking is conscious thought.
I'd say its about 0.01% here from some of the comments.
:lol:

Reactions: educasian

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I think you are making too much of it. People shake hands around the world and bowing is not down ieven in the same way in different countries so I don't think it really makes sense to even really worry about that.
I think it would be nice for bowing to be considered an acceptable alternative to the handshake. That's not making too much of anything.
Patting people on the back is completely fine.
That's an opinion. Where's the evidence?
if the player does it in a condescending way that's his/her problem
It's a problem for the person being condescended to.
and I don't really think most of them do anyway.
My solution doesn't address "most". It addresses all.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The thing with OP is that he has his own opinions and personal preferences but he's not open to discussion/criticism looking at his responses to other posts defending his own views/with a mocking tone.
An ad hominem. How surprising.

You make lots of assumptions that are not necessarily true, such as bowing in Asia to reflect cultural differences
This again? This is really the best red herring angle people can find to attack my list with? Handshaking is a Western practice. Its growing popularity in Asia is due to Western influence. If you want to discuss or debate all the permutations of that then start a topic about it.

asking losing players to have a conference meaning shame.
Maybe you would be excited over speaking to the press after a difficult loss but I doubt that's the case for most.

It is your own opinion that patting is condescending.
Nope. It is objectively a behavior that can be condescending. My point is that, by not having it, the possibility is avoided.

I can tell you, in some parts of Asia it's even more condescending to bow to each other.
So, your point is that bowing is condescending and thus inferior to handshaking?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.