• Murray - Federer - Nadal - Djokovic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer is still steamrolling at certain times in the year and has unbelievable endurance for a player his age.

Djokovic is pretty fit himself, but does get exahusted too easily at times, most of the time in hot matches.

Nadal's knees are a problem, but it's not as if he's unfit.

Murray is very fit and has no major physical problems, but does get some minor injuries every now and then.

So, in which order will they retire?

I see it going Federer/Nadal, then Djokovic and then Murray.

Federer is the oldest, so he's at a disadvantage here. Nadal is grinding himself out and won't last until 30. Djokovic and Murray will last the longest. I can see both getting to 30 comfortably, with Djokovic burning out before Murray due to his game.

What do you think?

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
first Federer at 34 then nadal at 30 b/c his body couldn't stand the pain then novaל and andy will be last b/c his body won't suffer like the rest b/c he wasn't that consistent or something and he is much younger

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
1-Federer (obvious reason, older than the rest)
2-Nadal (Will burn out at 29/30)
3-Murray/Djokovic (No big difference here, but the Djoker will last a bit longer)

·
Banned
168 Posts
Nadal (will probably retire next year if he doesn't win any slams) - Djokovic (all that hardcourt sliding will ruin his body) - Federer (will eventually get too old) - Murray (hoping the other guys retire so he can steal a Wimbledon).

The key for me is Federer comes from the old school of McEnroe, Connors, Laver, etc where you play for the love of the game well past your prime. Nadal is from the school of Borg and Sampras where you retire when you're not at the top or just bored. Djokovic will have similar injury problems to Nadal, I doubt he can survive another season like last year's. Murray I really can't tell, his motivation is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Nadal (will probably retire next year if he doesn't win any slams) - Djokovic (all that hardcourt sliding will ruin his body) - Federer (will eventually get too old) - Murray (hoping the other guys retire so he can steal a Wimbledon).

The key for me is Federer comes from the old school of McEnroe, Connors, Laver, etc where you play for the love of the game well past your prime. Nadal is from the school of Borg and Sampras where you retire when you're not at the top or just bored. Djokovic will have similar injury problems to Nadal, I doubt he can survive another season like last year's. Murray I really can't tell, his motivation is a mystery to me.
That's a good analysis. I think however, Federer will retire if he ever drops out of the top 10 or maybe even the top 5. If he starts to get his ass handed to him by every top guy...expect him to pack up his bags and hit the commentator booth (wouldn't that be sweet to have Johnny Mac and Roger).

Nadal will play for probably 5 more years...Djoko about the same...Murray might hang around in hopes of grabbing a slam when the rest retire.

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts
Nadal, then Fed.

Then Djoker, then Murray.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
The flipside of Nole's success is that he'll probably burn out a little bit faster than Murray, but probably not by much.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Nadal, Joker, Murray, Federer

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Nadal, then Fed.

Then Djoker, then Murray.
I used to think this was a possibility, especially last year. But listening to Nadal's interviews this year has changed my mind - he's positive and keeps talking about how much he's liking the tour and how "no one wants to retire at 28" - that's still over 2 years away for him. I think his body will give out before his desire/love for the sport does - this time last year I didn't think the same.

If he can manage his chronic issues I can see him staying through another 2-3 seasons. Federer is doing really well now but when the decline comes it's usually fast - right now I find it hard to see him doing as well in 2+ years. So I still think it'll be Fed and then Nadal. Though it may not be a big gap. Imagine the tour without both of them. Man. Feel like I should make an effort to go to more tournaments when they're both still around. :sad:

Definitely think Murray will be last - think Djokovic might surprise us and retire early - he's already hinted about his desire for other things e.g. acting etc. He seems more like someone who'll go flat out for a few more years and then burn out and lose interest. Unlike Fed and Nadal he has a lot of other interests/desires than tennis - sure Nadal likes playing football, golf etc. but those are all hobbies - I don't think he'd know what to do with himself if he didn't have his daily practice session. Djokovic on the other hand would be fine.

Murray needs to capitalise whenever the other 3 leave the scene - right now it's hard to see a lot of talent out there and Murray's still only 24.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
djoker is no quitter or phoney. 11 more slams to conquer. long after fedbore and roddouche retirements.

oops...did federcrier and rodduckmock hear that?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
what is doing the slameless-boy among those great players?

nadal-federer-delpo-nole

1 - 20 of 33 Posts