Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's looks like Diego think (when he play match) he can play many better. Problem is in fact level of game of players overall is slight better than before or Diego play now worse?

I know Struff is dangerous and Nadal is just great player. But Diego before was better against Nadal (sets and ties) than in last 3-4 meetings + he beat Struff easy before
also.

May be even mentality problem?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Good player, but too short. Just like Isner, Karlovic and Opelka are too tall.

All of them need to compensate a lot movement-wise.

·
Premium Member
12,076 Posts
Unlike Nadal , Djokovic, Federer or some other guys, he can't afford to play his B game and win matches.

Being 5'6 or shorter in tennis is really tough. For example on kick serves you can't tee off on the ball like Del Potro and other guys where the ball is right in the strike zone. Same thing with overheads and net game. It is much easier to lob and pass you because of your height and reach.

You have to make up your tennis with more guile, stamina and grit than the opponent.

I completely understand Diego's game. For example I played tennis today against 16 people and went undefeated today... It wasn't because of my blistering winners or heavy returns, it was because of playing smart tennis; not missing and hitting good lobs, dropshots, and hitting good top spin.

The problem is that short guys don't have a serve to bail them out of tricky situations and if their ground game is off , then it is going to be a beat down.

·
Banned
3,349 Posts
Good player, but too short. Just like Isner, Karlovic and Opelka are too tall.

All of them need to compensate a lot movement-wise.
Pretty much, you can only go so far with physical limitations. While Schwartzman is a beast of the ground, his serve will always be too much of a liability. Same goes for Isner and Karlovic’s movement.

·
Banned
3,349 Posts
Unlike Nadal , Djokovic, Federer or some other guys, he can't afford to play his B game and win matches.

Being 5'6 or shorter in tennis is really tough. For example on kick serves you can't tee off on the ball like Del Potro and other guys where the ball is right in the strike zone. Same thing with overheads and net game. It is much easier to lob and pass you because of your height and reach.

You have to make up your tennis with more guile, stamina and grit than the opponent.

I completely understand Diego's game. For example I played tennis today against 16 people and went undefeated today... It wasn't because of my blistering winners or heavy returns, it was because of playing smart tennis; not missing and hitting good lobs, dropshots, and hitting good top spin.

The problem is that short guys don't have a serve to bail them out of tricky situations and if their ground game is off , then it is going to be a beat down.
Spot on analysis. Schwartzman packs a pretty powerful punch off his ground strokes, especially considering his height but his serve is just too much of a weakness. It’s still fun seeing him boss people around the court as well as having a top 20 ranking proving its mainly the mindset that determines how well you can do.

·
6,753 Posts

It is pretty much a WTA style serve at this height.
But Schwartzman has maximised his talent, and may still crack the Top 10 at some stage- but unlikely ever be a mainstay there.
I enjoy watching him, and he has taken sets off Djoker and Nadal at big events, and made them earn their victories.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
height/serve, not aggressive enough, FH can be quite paltry at times.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

You played 16 people today? Single sets or? Either way thats a lot

·
The special one
14,810 Posts
I don't think there's too much wrong with his game, I feel its more more genetics, had the guy been a few inches taller I really believe he would've been world no1 at some point in his career.

·
Premium Member
12,076 Posts
You played 16 people today? Single sets or? Either way thats a lot
In another reality , MalvinLuisAndy would be opening a thread about me ;)

No it was a drill with sixteen different players, but every game or competition I always won. Actually undefeated two weeks in a row :D

LIke Diego, I am plagued with being 5'6 and have a terrible serve. Hence why threads like this exist.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts

Just sounds like you turned your scintillating junkballing up to 800% mate.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Olivier Rochus had the same issues. Very decent player, but simply too short to be a threat for the majority of opponents.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Olivier Rochus had the same issues. Very decent player, but simply too short to be a threat for the majority of opponents.
Olivier Rochus had a better "arm", he had so much talent, I remember how crazy Marat Safin was each time he had to play Olivier.
In the other hand, Olivier was not such a good mover as Diego is.
I already posted in the past, a combination of the "arm of Olivier" + movement and speed of the legs of Diego, and we would have a top 5 player even with this short size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts